Author Topic: Q&A by members for members  (Read 12759 times)

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Q&A by members for members
« on: December 04, 2022, 06:00:17 AM »
We usually wait for Hasbro's brand team to offer their next Q&A session, but I thought why don't we start one here as well? It would be fun to ask each other some questions here. What do you think?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Q&A by members for members
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 07:19:17 AM »
I don't see a problem with this. Good idea if you ask me.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 02:34:53 AM »
Great! I was thinking of a weekly Q&A session asking other members different question about the hobby and the passion for customizing.

Maybe we can start on Friday and everyone who wants to join has got a week to answer the question(s) of the week?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 03:56:14 AM »
Sounds like a great idea. Wish I had time to make a graphic for it when I post it as news.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:56:28 AM »
Sounds like a great idea. Wish I had time to make a graphic for it when I post it as news.

Just a quick one, but here you are, Sir.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:04:07 AM »
Hello and welcome to our new, weekly Question & Answer session where you can ask other members your questions. You can write your question(s) in the comment section below and everyone who wants to join in has got a week to answer them. This first Q & A panel will then be shared next Friday on the same places.

I'd be happy to read and answer your questions for sure! Feel free to join us and thank you for checking out ImperialShipyards!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 04:02:26 AM »
Time to go spread the news!

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 04:11:49 AM »
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Here are my first questions for you guys!

Tamer: I got to admit that I get a little nervous when you don't come online for a couple days. Don't know why, but it makes me worry and hope you're okay.
That said I'm also aware that you host this on your free time, which I appreciate very much! That thought made me wonder, what your family thinks of you being the admin of this forum.

What do you enjoy most about hosting this site? Does it give you a hard time sometimes getting up early in the morning before work and share the latest content of our forum?
What does your wife say about all this? Can you share some interesting stories with your family as well? This actually lead me to the idea to start this Q&A panel here. I hope it's fun and of course you don't have to answer my questions. I don't want to get too personal  :)

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 04:14:22 AM »
My Question to everyone: What is the advantage to you of still using a forum like Imperial Shipyards in times of Facebook, Instagram and all those places? What do you like most about the concept of a forum like this?
I'm happy to read your thoughts. Thank you and best regards from Germany!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 02:04:16 AM »
My Question to everyone: What is the advantage to you of still using a forum like Imperial Shipyards in times of Facebook, Instagram and all those places? What do you like most about the concept of a forum like this?
I'm happy to read your thoughts. Thank you and best regards from Germany!

I personally think that using a forum like this is that you are going to get more information and no stupid comments to your question/s especially for those people that have had little to no idea where to start on a custom figure or diorama.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 06:06:10 AM »
Yeah there's certainly more depth to forums. Social media platforms, it's just, heres my stuff, with no context or explanation, or recipes or steps involved or anything.
To piggyback on hemble. On forums everyone knows eachother, no one makes smart ass comments or anything, it's all civil.

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 06:42:16 AM »
hemble: I agree, I got one recent example. In a FaceBook forum for Star Wars Miniatures someone asked for a stat card of a character I didn't know before. He is from The Old Republic which was released long after Wizards of the Coast stopped making those Miniatures.
No pictures were provided, only the name and all I could find on google images were pictures of the game character. So I asked if there is an official card for that character/miniature.
And two other member immediately reacted to my question with a laughing emoji  ;D
So instead of just answering my question they made fun of it. I asked because there are countless custom made cards and miniatures by now.
Anyway I checked my stack of extra cards to find that this particular one is not upon them.
Someone offers it for $80 on feebay. Cheers. I'm done with Facebook.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 06:44:35 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 07:58:45 AM »
What do you enjoy most about hosting this site?

I think what I enjoy most about this site is the interaction and the members and friends I have met here who share my interests. I mean this thing started out as 3 buds who were kind of just wanting to have a place where folks could interact free from the "trolls" that are out there in internet land. None of us knew a thing about building websites or creating forums, or anything but we just kind of jumped in and did it. I credit Phatty with a lot of that pushing and prodding where I finally just jumped in and took some online classes and I can't stand it when I can't figure something out so I am basically a self taught coder.

And then folks starting joining up and sharing their action figure customs and other custom artwork and dioramas and that became our identity. I mean I still get lost in the forums some days just mezmirized by the work folks have posted here. I mean I treat these forums as kind of a Library of Congress of artwork. It would almost be like a national treasure was lost if this wasn't maintained. So I guess outside of just being able to enjoy this hobby with other folks I just get to wake up with the Christmas morning feeling of what great artwork am I going to get to see today? That and feeling like maybe I can promote said artists and get them some spotlight they deserve. I mean all the various customizing is a true labor of love and never gets the attention it deserves in my opinion.

Does it give you a hard time sometimes getting up early in the morning before work and share the latest content of our forum?

I will be honest at one time I was making this too much like work and I had to step back and take a bit of a time out. I was trying to do too many things and feeling like I wasn't doing any of them well let alone having fun with this. So I have since settled myself into some pretty strict limits regarding the time I give this place as I was not balanced before. Doing this I got the fun back and remembered some of what this place was created for. Now I do what I can when I have the time and don't feel "guilty" when some days I run out of time or real life means I can't get on the site that day. That and knowing there are good folks here who watch the place while I am away doesn't hurt either.

What does your wife say about all this? Can you share some interesting stories with your family as well?

About the only thing my wife says is that "she is going to kill me because she hates the sound of typing" LOL. I have to admit without her support I doubt I would have lasted as there have been some interesting situations over the years. She doesn't get what I do, but she understands it is a part of me and I need it to remain me. My daughter loves it as she has been raised with all this and loves customs and the other projects displayed here. Some of her most valuable possessions are some of the customs folks here have gifted her over the years. A lot of things have come and gone in her room, but I still find those things on prominent display like a Phantom of the Opera, Dragon, Wookie, Jedi, and other customs. She thinks it is "Cool".

My wife just said she likes that is a positive safe place for folks like me to have to interact as there is so much awful stuff out there.

So, I am not quite sure if that is what you wanted so feel free to ask any follow ups you wanted. I am just glad folks feel free to be creative here and not judged, but repsected and even admired for their creativity and ingenuity. That is what keeps me coming back and making sure the lights stay on here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:01:28 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 08:08:49 AM »
I have to admit sometimes I feel like just ditching everything outside of the main page and the forums. Social Media Sites like Facebook rarely leave me feeling good after I am on them.

Sometimes I feel like it is my job to spread the good on them and never does it feel like I make any headway. Guess it matters to the one starfish.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 11:38:23 PM »
It matters to one collect...I mean starfish  :) Thanks for all you do, Tamer, to support the hobby and this "space" for sharing our mutual enthusiasm.

To Philipp's question: I'm not a social media user. The only reason I have Facebook is because it's a channel of communication for smaller toy companies like Boss Fight and Chicken Fried Toys, oh and something about work ;) One way to manage my time and other commitments is to not add stuff, so no Instagram, etc. Plus, I find that I like interacting with and learning from the folk around here. I know some folks are on several sites (like yakface.com) but it seems most can only stay really active on one ( or maybe two). My life is too full to try and manage many threads. This was my first site, so here I stay.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:41:58 PM by Starchaser »