Author Topic: The Vintage Collection 2010 Luke's Snowspeeder  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
The Vintage Collection 2010 Luke's Snowspeeder
« on: July 02, 2010, 03:26:02 AM »
Picked this one up on TRU.com for $27.99

Finally after waiting forever for some new product, I got this in the mail yesterday and man is it sweet!
     As a kid, I really enjoyed the original release of the snowspeeder and have a potj version still and was skeptical as to how this newer sculpt could improve on the old one. In the past I have mentioned how Hasbro has really been giving us some solid vehicle releases in the last couple of years and this one is no exception.

Detail is exquisite inside and out and the scale is more spot on than the original although their size isn't all that much different. The newer speeder is a bit shorter and although the cockpit doesn't appear that much different from the outside, the configuration of the seats on the inside give alot more room to the tailgunner's position in the rear of the cab. Interior details and controls shine here with a much more intricate sculpt of the cockpit's panels and both pilot and tailgunner can be made to grip their controls fairly easily. Something that we didn't know about is that on the pilots left arm side, there is a recess molded into the interior that provides a storage slot that fits the barrel of the grappling gun that came with the Legacy Snowspeeder Luke figure which is a nice detail to add.
  As before, there is the obligatory landing gear that retracts into the belly of the speeder. On one side, an engine pod and panel can be removed to show some underskin detail for simulated battle damage or service in the rebel hangar. Both upper hull airbrake flaps are hinged and quite positionable this time.

Hasbro seen fit to provide us with not only photocorrect looking front cannons and a tow cable launcher but also provided us with alternate versions of all three guns which are interchangeable and can fire missiles. Both the firing front cannons and the rear tow cable cannon are slightly larger and a bit clunky looking but provide an additional play feature for the trigger happy collectors out there. The missile for the towcable gun has a loop that is attached to a length of string which feeds through and is stopped at the end of its length by a block that snaps into the lower back end of the fuselage. on the underside of the hull in this area, there is a small hatch which opens to reveal the backside of this block and what extra length of cable you don't want dangling about when you are not shooting the missile. When it comes time to deploy your cable, just pull the extra length of the string from this storage area, through the block, and fire away.

This vehicle comes with a sheet of 12 decals all of which, are for inside the cockpit.
Exterior markings look great and although it could use a bit of weathering, this showroom floor snowspeeder certainly is a jewel to my eyes.

Very nicely done, Hasbro. Kudos to you for catering to both the kid and the realist of your collectors.

I do have a video review of this release up on youtube. You can find it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHn63WndC1E

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: The Vintage Collection 2010 Luke's Snowspeeder
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:10 AM »
pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:28:19 AM »
pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:30:23 AM »
pics

the middle two shots show this speeder next to or over my POTJ release snowspeeder.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:31:36 AM »
pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:44 AM »
pics

in shot 3, you can see the round hole on the right side of the pilot's seat and in shot 4, you can see the hole holding the barrel of the snowspeeder Luke grappling gun.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:35:28 AM »
One shot of the card board backdrop insert. Cool painting but not large enough to provide a proper display for this vehicle. perhaps i can use it as a backdrop for a little hothy dio or in-flight display.

Offline commanderCharlie

• Captain
  • need republic commando action figures!!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:31:42 AM »
good review clint ! I thinnk  I'm going to buy this now!

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:07:21 AM »
Great review and the photos are awesome!  i am waiting to get this!  I have always thought the snowspeeder was one of the coolest vehicles ever.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
Because we could never afford a walker when I was a kid, this was one vehicle I was allowed to purchase and I loved it. I destroyed so many imaginary walkers I couldn't count them all. I didn't thik they could improve it. I was wrong. This looks great. I can't wait to get two. Yes, I am gonna get one to open of this too. I am thinking that this is going to come out in an exclusive vintage box to either walmart or target. Hasbro says there are two regular vehicles that will get this vintage deco as store exclusives and I am assuming they are meaning the snowspeeder and the cloud car. I loved the video too Clint. Very well done. thanks for the incredible review.  Now I am jonesing for new stuff!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:17 AM »
Because we could never afford a walker when I was a kid, this was one vehicle I was allowed to purchase and I loved it. I destroyed so many imaginary walkers I couldn't count them all. I didn't thik they could improve it. I was wrong. This looks great. I can't wait to get two. Yes, I am gonna get one to open of this too. I am thinking that this is going to come out in an exclusive vintage box to either walmart or target. Hasbro says there are two regular vehicles that will get this vintage deco as store exclusives and I am assuming they are meaning the snowspeeder and the cloud car. I loved the video too Clint. Very well done. thanks for the incredible review.  Now I am jonesing for new stuff!
An opener?? Now that's what I'm talking about. This new snowspeeder just may convert you yet, my friend.

thanks for the comments and views, folks. I will write up one for the cloud car when I get back on Sunday.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
Great review.

Makes me want to own it more, along with the potj one.

The last new snow speeder I got was, sadly after esb first came out.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
Very nice, Clint!  I'd have a field day with this vehicle.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »
Very nice, Clint!  I'd have a field day with this vehicle.

Don't you mean "snow day"  :P...damn it I had too.