Author Topic: Luke Sprywalker's Custom Action Figures from 2009-2012  (Read 225924 times)

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
Re: Luke Sprywalker Customs Updated 10/8
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
Amazing, simply!  Great job, LS!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #691 on: October 09, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »
very cool!

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #692 on: October 09, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Simply amazing, very nice.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #693 on: October 09, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
Mr Spry, the more that I see your custom work, the more that I drool. I may need Christoph to make me a rebel insignia bib to wear when I am logging on so I wont make a mess of myself when frequenting your thread.

Makes me want to stop collecting clones and start collecting pilots.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #694 on: October 10, 2010, 01:53:39 AM »
LS, these figures are absolutely superb, my favourite collection I've seen done anywhere. Do you paint the faces as they seem so realistic.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #695 on: October 10, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments guys! Clint that is a huge compliment from you, thanks. Jules, yes, I repaint the faces with a more normal skin tone. Some I make darker than others and some more of a red tint to vary them up a bit/so everyone doesn't have tha same color flesh. Funny you mentioned it because when I was editing the pics I thought man, I am goint to have to paint the non custom figures faces as they don't look as realistic as my customs. It is fairly easy as I have now mixed my own bottle of flesh color that I like. It is watered down pretty good so all I do is give the face 2 or 3 coats, don't touch the eyes and I am done. That is what I did for Ace  and he is one of my favorites! Thanks buddy!

Offline Darklord1967

• Roberto DARKLORD Williams
  • Ensign
  • Peace, Love, Elegance, and Excellence to all!
« Reply #696 on: October 11, 2010, 06:18:08 AM »
Ho-LEE SMOKE, LS!!!

This is such an incredibly awesome body of custom action figure work!!  You are most talented, my friend!!  It was a real treat seeing the progression of your skills over time.  And now you are clearly an action figure customizing force to be reckoned with.  With your eye for detail and craftsmanship, you raise the bar quite high for  virtually everyone interested in getting into customizing.  I bow to your greatness, sir.  I bow humbly. ;)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #697 on: October 11, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
Roberto, you have made my day with that comment! I take great pride in that statement from you. Thanks so much for the kind words.

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2010, 05:45:59 AM »
Luke, As a collector of rebel pilots myself, I have to say this collection of rebel pilots is the pinnacle of rebel pilot collections.   WOW.      Awesome, just awesome.   

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2010, 06:11:22 AM »
Impressive, most impressive!!!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #700 on: October 13, 2010, 06:29:51 AM »
Today's update features a step by step process I go through to paint most of my figures. A few people have asked how I go about painting so I said the next custom I do I will take more pics and explane. The first thing I have to decide is do I want my figures to fit in with the Hasbro line or look better, like a painting or piece of art. This one is the later of the two. I decided I needed a maintenance person for my Rebel Base dio so he will get "the treatment." I start off by getting a condiment cup, adding 2 drops of water to enough paint to paint the figure 2 times. Then I painting everything black, 2 coats. I also did a black wash on the head while I was painting.

Then I choose my color, in this case it is Orange. I put a very small amount of paint on the brush and outline the raised sections of his garments. When the brush is out of paint I go to where I started and blend or brush the paint from the raised areas into the rest of the areas around it. It is almost like dry brushing but not really. I am working straight out of the bottle with this technique so no thinning. You want the paint to be thicker for this. I have also done the first coat of grey on the shoulder harness, the grey has been thinned with windex.

N0w I just move on and do this to the rest of the figure. I will come back and highlight some areas when the entire figure has been gone over like this one time. Second coat of grey has been done on shoulders using a small brush just hitting the raised pads not letting it get in the cracks so they keep the black outline.

Now the legs and I have gone over the entire figure again very lightly. Then the second wash, let almost dry, then wipe off with my finger treatment of the head. I don't use a paper towel for this as it may soak some of the wash out of the cracks where I want to leave them, even though it is almost dry. Just the way that works for me.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:41:32 AM by Luke Sprywalker »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Luke Sprywalker Customs Updated 10/13
« Reply #701 on: October 13, 2010, 06:47:25 AM »
lookin superb mate
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #702 on: October 13, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
holy .... ! that is the dogs bolloks , even as a w.i.p

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #703 on: October 13, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »
looks nice!!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #704 on: October 13, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Next up I started painting the harness. Same technique applying thin lines of paint on the edges then brushing it into other areas.

back...

On the sides there are some buckles that I first painted black the silver with a thinner brush leaving a black outline.

I have also started adding color to his boots. A bit of the grey from the shoulder pads, brown leather and silver to make them stand out a bit.

Now I decided to change up the colors on the head a bit. I wanted him to be his own character not just the Gotal from the Cantina gets a new job. His horns are tan with black outline and his eyes are yellow with black pupils. I have also added the black wash to areas I wanted the details to stand out a bit more and the edges of the harness.

and now he is complete...