Author Topic: Tamer's Bloggy Blog Blog  (Read 53805 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Tamer's Bloggy Blog Blog
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2009, 05:15:59 AM »
I am gonna try to dig four more holes today and then I hope I never see that machine again! Good lord I am sore today.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2009, 05:34:54 AM »
Well it is time for an update on the deck project and I am sad to say a lot of progress hasn't been made. I ended up having to pretty much redig by hand all the holes I fought that daggone auger for as they were not in the right spot to get the posts square and plum. Then, having to  manhandle twelve foot long six by sixes wasn't the easiest of things either. It isn't any wonder I have back issues. I had hoped we would get the posts notched and then cemented in the ground yesterday, but my father in law thinks two of the posts are not pressure treated enough and wants the lumber company to give him two new ones. They looked fine to me, but there was no argueing with him. I am pretty frustrated with this at this point. I hope I am still on speaking terms with him by the end of this. He has a set idea of what he wants, but it mainly involves the physical degradation of one son in law helper who is basically doing the job of two perhaps three guys by himself.  I guess I am whining a bit so at least I am still partially healthy!

Va1

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »
I wish that I could have been there to lend you a hand, buddy. With the deck and that particular engineer that you are dealing with. We would have had that thing in the air by now.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
Yeah, I bet we could have Clint. I did go and buy my daughter's slide today for the playset I am making her. The daggone thing was 162 smackers? She sure did like it though. I stuck it one my tailgate and she slid down it from there for about an hour till my arm got tired from holding it up there!

My father in law has helped me with most of my projects here at my house so I hate to complain, but he sure is paranoid about some things. I know I am not perfect either, but the post thing was driving me nuts.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
The deck saga continues. He got a call from the post company who assured him the posts were ok. Go figure, the company is going to say thier product is bad? He is a head shaker sometimes. Today I mixed 36 bags of cement in addition to digging out yet more holes so the posts were in the right position. I can't believe I fought that auger. There hasn't been one hole I didn't have to redig.  I don't know if I am gonna survive this.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
an engineer can't figure out the right layout for the post holes. Go figure. That would never happen on one of my jobs. "yuk"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2009, 06:31:38 AM »
an engineer can't figure out the right layout for the post holes. Go figure. That would never happen on one of my jobs. "yuk"

The thing is he measures absolutely a hundred times. I don't know how he can measure so much and get things wrong. I try not to say much, but it is driving me crazy. I would have had holes with two bags of cement tops if I had just dug the damn holes myself. He came over this morning and ran over my outside planters, now I have that mess to clean up.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
measuring things so much will get you in trouble kind of like balancing your checkbook too many times. Get enough numbers flying around and you are bound to make a mistake. He is measuring his layout off of the existing structure "house" is he not?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
measuring things so much will get you in trouble kind of like balancing your checkbook too many times. Get enough numbers flying around and you are bound to make a mistake. He is measuring his layout off of the existing structure "house" is he not?

Sort of. Its kinda hard to explain. He has a six by six foot concrete pad on the back of his house that we are now building off of the build the rest of his deck. We are using the house to get our square, but it seems the more he measures the more it is out of sync. I am very leary of trying to handle sixteen foot two by tens now that are gonna form the beams for the structure. I am just not sure he can handle the weight. I am probably gonna call it quits when this starts. It is starting to get dangerous.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
are you sure he's an engineer?

I have an engineering degree, but its not worth anything when it comes to building or, well, making a paycheck, :)

I say ditch him.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2009, 04:16:22 AM »
Well I am gonna see if he can handle his end of the two by tens and if he can't then it will end. I am not gonna be ten foot up in the air and get knocked off a ladder by a sixteen foot two by ten.  He has said that he would hire it out if it got too physical for us and I am gonna hold him to it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »
Well I survived the beams. You ought to see the saw horse we made to use a pulley to handle most of the wieght of the four by tens by sixteens. It wasn't the safest operation ever, but I got the last beam emplaced today. Now it is just a few sixteen foot floor joist and most of the harder work is done. Daggone, what a job. Came home and mowed the grass. I was gonna see what the Shipyards thirty two did tonight, but got done too late. 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
Nice hearing that you survived the installation that you were dreading. How bout a pic or two of Tamer's bane?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
Nice hearing that you survived the installation that you were dreading. How bout a pic or two of Tamer's bane?

my mother in law took a pew pics. I will see if I can get her to send me a few.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Wow am I tired. The biggest reason is I took some Benadryl as I got stung by about a dozen yellow jackets today while doing the weed whacking. It might also have something to do with building a playset and a deck for my father in law. The good news is that the deck in now getting floorboards. He can pretty much handle it on his own now. If I never see a twelve foot six by six again it will be too soon. Well, I have no doubt, I am rambling.  I have a great idea on a hunting blind I am gonna build next year. See you tomorrow Yarders.