Author Topic: The Force Unleashed  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: The Force Unleashed
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »
Wow, 3rd time?!?!  I'm at the part where I'm pulling down the Star Destroyer, and am having a tough time doing it.  I keep dying from TIE Fighter blaster fire before I get it down.  Is there a quicker or better way to do that?  I keep trying to take my time and explore and accomplish all of the side quests as well, but sometimes I'm too far past the objective before I realize it and can't go back.  I'm still enjoying the game though.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
On the Tie fighter/Star Destroyer level, it will tak e 3 to 4 attepts to pull the SD down, when your life bar is down to 25% just release the SD and then go behind one of the "obstructions" and pick off the Ties with either a force grab or by smashing debris into them, when done grab the SD again and then repeat.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »
So do you guys think it was worth the price?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
That's a trick question for me, because I don't think ANY game is worth $60, ever.  The same game for PSP, PS2,PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and DS (with a few minor differences) range from $30-$60?  I don't get it myself.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
Personally I don't think it's worth 60 bucks, It was way to short and it's basically a linier story so other than the ending boss battle to determine the dark or light ending it's the same play everytime through. Once you go through it for both endings, there is not a whole lot of value left.

I didn't buy the game I used a free rental coupon on it. So that said I went through it 2 1/2 times in 5 days. Save the 60 bucks, rent it or buy it used.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »
Gotta agree with Wayne.  I just finished it myself, and I'm guessing Light Side.  How do you determine which path you want to take?  I just followed the action along as it was given to me.  Am I supposed to lose to Vader or Palpatine?  I'm going to play it again this week and want to finish on the Dark Side.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »
Pat to finish light or dark depends on the very last fight,  Palpy is obviusly right infront of you when the final begins but look down and right and Vader is on the platform below, before engaging palpy go to Vader and fight him instead, that is the dark path. Fighting Palpy is the path to the light side

Offline Darth Caedus

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
so thats how i ended up evil.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
Ah, I see.  Tunnel vision strikes again!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
Okay, here's my final thoughts on The Force Unleashed...

I'm not what you would call a serious "gamer."  I play about 3-6 games a year, and casually at that.  However, I was able to play on the medium difficulty setting and beat the game, which is typically much harder than I am able to do.  Like I said, I'm not quite a "gamer."  That fact alone gives this game an immediate negative.  I never felt challenged.  The only time I died was when I fell off the edge of a cliff or bridge.  I don't like games that are so hard that I can't accomplish the first task, but this was almost too easy.  I beat the game twice in a total of 6 days, never playing more than an hour and a half a day.  Again, it ain't because I'm good.

The graphics, animations, and visuals were definitely amazing.  The backgrounds were every bit as rich and alive during game play as they were during cut scenes.  The attention to detail in every facet really showed.  I don't quite know if I've ever played a game as rich in detail that applied to both game play and cutscenes as this game.  Raxus Prime was my favorite level because of how incredibly detailed the level was that I was constantly surprised when I could knock over a mountain of junk from time to time.

So many characters, so little representation.  Hasbro could easily make 2 or 3 more waves of figures from TFU, including battle packs.  Bull Rancor anyone?  I want a 2-Pack of those huge Phase Troopers, and I'd easily pay $20 for the pair.  Hell, they're twice the size of a standard figure!  Incinerator Troopers, Shadow EVO Troopers, Stormtrooper Commanders, Sniper Scouts (as I call them) all need their own, individual cards.  A Felucia version of Shaak Ti, Proxy, Junk Guardians, Rodian Junkers, different colored Jawas, all 3 Fellucians (blue, red, and yellow) and Master Kazda Paratus are must haves.  There were so many surprises for characters, and each were a lot of fun to see in action.  I'd buy a battle pack of the Duel of the Guards (4 Royal Guards with Saberstaffs and a Shadow Guard, or 2 red, 2 blue, and one black guard) all together.  This game has given many customizers a whole new focus, and one that could keep them busy for awhile.  And where's our Rogue Shadow?  Hasbro, you're sitting on a gold mine...

Extras.  Not enough.  The costumes were kinda cool, and there were a lot that were unlockable using codes (which would actually remove Holocrons, causing you to lose out on completing that objective), though some you couldn't save.  I especially liked the black crystal for the lightsaber, combined with the Apprentice's Jedi Robes which were black and white.  The whole look was pretty cool.  However, there weren't enough extras to warrant continuous gameplay.  KOTOR had so many side missions, it took days to complete a level, and made the game so worth it. 

Overall, I'll give this game a C+/B-  If the game was a little more difficult and had more content, it would be an easy A.  The characters, graphics, and story make this game soar, but I just wanted more of a struggle.  Omnipotence can actually be a little boring sometimes, and let's not split hairs, by the end of this game, The Secret Apprentice was borderline a god.  If you haven't gotten this game yet, you do need to experience it, but rent it or buy it used.

Offline Darth Caedus

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »
hasbro is making a tfu shaak ti.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 07:14:38 AM »
That's good to hear, and I hope they look into releasing the rest of these characters.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
nice review Pat. I will wait and rent it or wait for it to go on clearance.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »
Just read over at TalkXbox.com that LucasArts is working on 2 new downloads for The Force Unleashed for the Xbox360!  The first download features some new costumes and character models, including Kit Fisto, Ki-Adi Mundi, Luke Skywalker, and Obi-Wan Kenobi!  The 2nd download is a completely new and playable level taking place on Coruscant, where The Secret Apprentice heads to the ruins of the old Jedi Temple in search of information regarding his father, and "while searching through the rubble of the destroyed building he must confront his inner demons."  So what do you think, does the news of additional content make you excited once again to play this game, or are you like me and think this should have been in the game to begin with?

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 07:59:22 AM »
I like the idea of extra maps, that adds new play value to it. As for extra costumes and characters, I don't care about that, as it would still be the same levels, maps, and challenges.