Author Topic: AAYLA SECURA: RESURRECTION - Chapter I, Part II  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
AAYLA SECURA: RESURRECTION - Chapter I, Part II
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
Well, guys, here it is!  This isn't a second chapter, per se, it's the second HALF of the chapter I posted in January.  Meant to be read as one continuous story, but I got impatient and threw up the first half early.  Sorry for the delay, but I hope you all enjoy this one!!

Like so many other pieces of work in this forum, this story will find a permanent home on display at the amazing Photonovel Alliance website - photonovelalliance.com

Please drop by the site to check out new offerings and old favorites.  There's lots of great new stuff there that we'll discuss in detail soon.

But for right now, here's the chapter! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: AAYLA SECURA: RESURRECTION - Chapter I, Part II
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:05:16 AM »
Wow, I didn't see that coming. Pretty cool. So did Aayla actually off ole Bly? I have to know is he a goner?

Thanks for sharing this with us and this update is now on the front page.

Offline CheesyKNAC

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:33 AM »
Nice story! I like the twist at the end. Very M Night Shyamalan-ish dude, lol  xwing

Offline Poffie

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
I love it. Nice Work, Nice Story. Wonderful

And hey the Dios fit to all.

Hope to see more...

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
I commented more at the Yak, but also wanted to share some support here.

This was one hell of a chapter - you did a great job with storytelling here.  The tension really built up with the space battle, and how the Imperials were monitoring the battle from afar.

I like how she sacrificed her droid and tricked the Imperials - very clever!  Now I can't wait for more.

0/

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Wow, I didn't see that coming. Pretty cool. So did Aayla actually off ole Bly? I have to know is he a goner?

Thanks for sharing this with us and this update is now on the front page.

Thanks for the support, as always!!!!

The fate of Bly will be revealed in the next chapter!*  Ha ha ha.

*(if there is a next chapter.....)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
If, you say if?

You can't get me hooked and then not leave another chapter to keep us guessing!

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
If, you say if?

You can't get me hooked and then not leave another chapter to keep us guessing!

If I never get to making it, I'll just tell you what happens.

Kinda lame, I know.

So here's hoping I can turn out another chapter in less than six years!

:D

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »
Awesome love to see the behind the scenes with these dio pieces specially that door they look like they are Hasbro made playsets are they plastic or foamcore?

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
Lance, you can continue your series, and you will.

You're an icon for the photonovel genre.  You will continue this series. 

0/

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Lance, you can continue your series, and you will.

You're an icon for the photonovel genre.  You will continue this series. 

0/

I'm a Toydarian, mind tricks don't work on me.

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
Lance, what can I say! a really tremendous piece of work, the dioramas, especially the hangar are superb and your images evoke childhood memories of my Star Wars experience. There is months of work here I can tell. I can only equate creating these photo novels to a master chef spending weeks searching for the perfect ingredients then days preparing and creating a gourmet meal, only to see it gobbled up in minutes with little or no consideration to it's creator.

There is but one nitpick, so I'll get that out the way now... The use of the word "Actual" reminded me of Battlestar Galactica, and while I am a huge fan of the recent series it was very gritty and dark, whereas Star Wars is more of a fantasy setting harking back to more innocent sci-fi, I just found that particular section of dialogue took me to a different Universe.

Positive stuff now...I was genuinely sad for poor Red, he was loyal right to the end. This is particularly relevant as my wife is just about to replace her car of the past 7-years for a shiny new one, the car has been totally reliable but as it's now getting on a bit it's likely to be scrapped by the garage that traded her in. I was thinking today how we rely on our machines, and after they give us years of reliable service we end up throwing them away... I always think of the R2 units as a faithful dog, man's best friend, so your story just struck a tear gland or two. R.I.P Red! (I did call you a b***ard for killing off the poor droid, for which I apologize).

I liked the way you led us down a path, thinking that AAYLA was being pursued, surprising us at the end, clever!

I also liked the computer UI at the Imperial Base, reminded me of the original Star Wars graphics from episode 4. I'm actually trying to re-create the old UI style for my own work as I think it's more authentic to cannon.

Technically I think your photography and angles were spot on, everything matched the dialog really well, enhancing the read.

All in all an excellent presentation, I really enjoyed reading and looking at the images, your story has got off to a great start meaning I am looking forward to more installments. More late nights I'm afraid buddy! And please try be kind to droids or you'll have the RSPCD (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Droids) AKA Wraith 9 to answer to!

;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:25:36 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the TERRIFIC feedback, Jules.  It is very, very much appreciated!

Lance, what can I say! a really tremendous piece of work, the dioramas, especially the hangar are superb and your images evoke childhood memories of my Star Wars experience. There is months of work here I can tell. I can only equate creating these photo novels to a master chef spending weeks searching for the perfect ingredients then days preparing and creating a gourmet meal, only to see it gobbled up in minutes with little or no consideration to it's creator.

Once again, I must give all credit to the dioramas to my collaborators.  In this case, the hangar was constructed by a forum member named Rebelstryker81.  From all indications, he hasn't been active in the collecting community in about two years.  But he was nice enough to shoot that scene for me once I saw his spectacular dio back in 2007 during the initial work on this project.  I really wish I could get in touch with him to tell him that it's finally available to see!  

(And the imperial dios were constructed by the retired master, Owen Driscoll.)

There is but one nitpick, so I'll get that out the way now... The use of the word "Actual" reminded me of Battlestar Galactica, and while I am a huge fan of the recent series it was very gritty and dark, whereas Star Wars is more of a fantasy setting harking back to more innocent sci-fi, I just found that particular section of dialogue took me to a different Universe.

Yes, that was a deliberate shout-out to "Galactica" - obviously not quite as subtle as I was hoping if it took you out of the story!  

:)

But I felt that this chapter was indirectly inspired by a lot of those great "Galactica" episodes where we follow the battle with the characters watching things unfold on their monitors.  Props to the show for making just the appearance of tiny blinking graphics rich with tension and dread.  I actually looked at the DRADIS displays while designing the displays for this episode - the icon for the ARC fighters was heavily influenced by that look.

Positive stuff now...I was genuinely sad for poor Red, he was loyal right to the end. This is particularly relevant as my wife is just about to replace her car of the past 7-years for a shiny new one, the car has been totally reliable but as it's now getting on a bit it's likely to be scrapped by the garage that traded her in. I was thinking today how we rely on our machines, and after they give us years of reliable service we end up throwing them away... I always think of the R2 units as a faithful dog, man's best friend, so your story just struck a tear gland or two. R.I.P Red! (I did call you a b***ard for killing off the poor droid, for which I apologize).

He died a hero.  We should all learn from his example!  Hope you enjoy the new car.  But there's no replacing old friends.  :)

I liked the way you led us down a path, thinking that AAYLA was being pursued, surprising us at the end, clever!

I also liked the computer UI at the Imperial Base, reminded me of the original Star Wars graphics from episode 4. I'm actually trying to re-create the old UI style for my own work as I think it's more authentic to cannon.

Thanks.  There was a lot of trial and error before I settled on the look I wanted for the graphics.  I definitely wanted a simplified, iconic look that echoed the Original Trilogy and I think it came out pretty well!

Technically I think your photography and angles were spot on, everything matched the dialog really well, enhancing the read.

All in all an excellent presentation, I really enjoyed reading and looking at the images, your story has got off to a great start meaning I am looking forward to more installments. More late nights I'm afraid buddy! And please try be kind to droids or you'll have the RSPCD (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Droids) AKA Wraith 9 to answer to!

Thanks again very much for your comments!  Glad you enjoyed it.  I am very pleased to have this chapter at least finished after a very, VERY long gestation period.  I'd love to keep the series going, but one chapter every six years isn't exactly an effective schedule.  

Here's hoping I can keep things going (but maybe with shorter chapters!)

:D

-LQ

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
Awesome love to see the behind the scenes with these dio pieces specially that door they look like they are Hasbro made playsets are they plastic or foamcore?

They're made with styrene sheets glued together.

(not made by me!)  :)

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
I was kinda scared when I first heard about this premise. Last story you sold me on the idea and after this chapter I'm fully invested!!! Excellent job on building the suspense throughout the episode, you managed that expertly! I liked the Obi-Wan trick Aalay pulled (I'd like to think that Obi-Wan might have told her about over a cup of Jawa Juice one day at the Temple  :) ).Your special effects are top notch, really excellent!!! Any chance you'd share some secrets!?! My only complaint is the grainy quality of some images takes away from some of your awesome sets, but that is hard to address if you are working with anything less than a full blown SLR. But that in no way prevented me from enjoying!!! Gosh, what a fun ride this was!!! One question is still bugging me: Is Bly alive or not!?! Thanks!!!

CC