Author Topic: AT AT parts please!!  (Read 9334 times)

Offline customcloner

• Ensign
Re: AT AT parts please!!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
Thats cool! The pistols are a bit harder to cast than the holsters but can if ever need more. Especially now using the syringe I have less defects. That pic. you posted of the atat is cool. It dosnt look to complicated, did you find any pics. of it from any other angles?? It would be easier to asses with a pic. from the top or back looking down at the additions to see if theres any others we cant see.
"Magnificent Aren't They"

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
Thats cool! The pistols are a bit harder to cast than the holsters but can if ever need more. Especially now using the syringe I have less defects. That pic. you posted of the atat is cool. It dosnt look to complicated, did you find any pics. of it from any other angles?? It would be easier to asses with a pic. from the top or back looking down at the additions to see if theres any others we cant see.
That's cool buddy. I need to try your syringe tecnique.
Sorry John but as far as I know, that is the only pic of that Walker that exists. I am convinced that I need to make something like it in one scale or another with one of my Walker model kits.

Offline customcloner

• Ensign
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »
That would be a good start to see how it would turn out first, before cutting up a full size atat.
"Magnificent Aren't They"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 04:41:04 PM »
That would be a good start to see how it would turn out first, before cutting up a full size atat.

I have a full size walker I can send when one of you wants to try one of these for real! I would love to see this happen!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
John, that's exactally what I was thinking.

I have a full size walker I can send when one of you wants to try one of these for real! I would love to see this happen!
What I need to find to make this happen is that laser turret from the vintage Death Star Playset. "that is the same gun, right?" If you can find one of those to send with the walker, I will try it.
  It might not be impossible to find that gun on ebay in a vintage part auction.
Can anyone find us a pic of that gun so we can see if it is the same?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:10:58 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
I found these two pics of the Death Star Playset gun and it's side seat mount at 12back.com
  The barrel of the gun differs slightly from the one mounted an the atat but the rest of it appears to be the same. That trooper by the gun in the walker could be sitting in that same side seat. Modifying the death star gun to look like the one in the walker photo would be alot easier than trying to scratchbuild the whole thing.

Update: I added another pic of the chair mount from an ebay auction
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:47:28 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
I will try to buy one of these on ebay and then send it to you Clint. I would love to have one!  No set deadline as to when you get it done after I send it Clint. I know you have tons of requests and projects going at the moment. Boy this would rock though!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
I will try to buy one of these on ebay and then send it to you Clint. I would love to have one!  No set deadline as to when you get it done after I send it Clint. I know you have tons of requests and projects going at the moment. Boy this would rock though!
You don't have to tell me. This would be a stellar project to be able to accomplish.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
You don't have to tell me. This would be a stellar project to be able to accomplish.

What do you casting experts think about casting that death star gun? Would it look right or would it be impossible to do?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
A big piece like that would be too large to do in a one piece mold, I would think. I have never tried a two piece mold yet but I think that it would cost too much in materials to be worth it. It would take a lot of resin to cast that gun and at least three times as much mold material with the stuff that I use.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
A big piece like that would be too large to do in a one piece mold, I would think. I have never tried a two piece mold yet but I think that it would cost too much in materials to be worth it. It would take a lot of resin to cast that gun and at least three times as much mold material with the stuff that I use.

Well that answers that then! I will try to find two!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »

Well that answers that then! I will try to find two!
I suppose that I could suspend either side of the gun over the mold box, pour it halfway up the gun's side, and make two one-piece molds to cast either half of the gun and then glue the two halves together but we are still talking about $30-$40 of mold making materiel, I would think. That's just for the gun and not the side-chair mount. Also,That's not including the resin.
  Surely there is a swap meet somewhere where we could find this stuff. I will have to check the other online selling sites like Yahoo and the like. It's that or scratchbuild city!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:24:49 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »
Surely we can find the chairs and the guns for less than fourty bucks. We might have to see if we can get Wayne on this one.  He can start the chase and would know if we were getting good vintage and not repro stuff.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
Surely we can find the chairs and the guns for less than fourty bucks. We might have to see if we can get Wayne on this one.  He can start the chase and would know if we were getting good vintage and not repro stuff.
Yep, Wayne might be the guy to ask. With his vintage focus, he might have a knack for finding older parts like these.
I wouldn't mind repro parts if they were of a good quality but if you don't want repros, we won't use em.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
Yep, Wayne might be the guy to ask. With his vintage focus, he might have a knack for finding older parts like these.
I wouldn't mind repro parts if they were of a good quality but if you don't want repros, we won't use em.

Personally I could care less if they were repro, but depending on price it might be just as good to try to find real vintage ones. I will see if I can get Wayne to bite on this, but I know he would prefer all vintage if we were gonna get this off the ground.  I guess if we could find real vintage I would send you my vintage walker, if its repro I would send my potf one. Either way it would be daggone nice.