Author Topic: The car thread.  (Read 14213 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: The car thread.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2021, 02:52:40 AM »
You could be the Tamale Man! LOL.

I have never had one, better make sure its a good one when I do try one.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2021, 10:41:23 PM »

Don't! Don't ever have a tamale, because you'll be hooked for life. Loook at me! Im going through life wondering where my next Tamale will come from. Eating these knockoffs just trying to take the edge off. Damn the day I ever tried tamales.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 06:06:58 AM »
LOL. Now I am even more curious. We have a legitamite Mexican restaurant in town and I will see if they have them. I call these folks my friends. They lost a son to covid last year. I have no doubt they will be good.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2022, 12:34:38 PM »
Vehicles that fed us, helped us grow with the crops they harvested & probably the slowest Porsche engine you'll ever see!

Last Sunday there was a fest of a tractor fan club in a town nearby. When I passed by on my bike, I just had to stop and take some pics. I mean, look at all these beauties!

This Mercedes-Benz UNIMOG was built in 1977 - the year of birth of our favorite franchise!

And this UNIMOG is even older being built in 1955.

A "barn find" fully restored with hours of dedication.

I love places like this. And the smell of oil, email color and metal makes it even better! And everyone who's played this game, will feel the nostalgic kick even more...

Captain Ginger - Psychonaught [Extended Version] (Need For Speed Porsche Soundtrack)

A British Legend was also among all those shining stars! What a beautiful day this was. What did you do last weekend?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:53:31 AM by Darth More »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
That's great Philipp. I had no idea Porsche did a tractor, but it makes sense. It maybe the slowest Porsche, but it may be the fastest tractor. Now I'm curious about tractor racing :) Its pretty cool to see German tractors. Here in the States its John Deere and Farm-All among others. It's great to see the UNIMOG too.

I never noticed this thread before. But its fun...so while JDeck drives a sporty relatively new Mazda, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I drive a 1987 El Camino.  :)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 02:54:04 PM »
Hey, thank you so much for coming by, Starchaser! I'm glad I could make you aware of this fun thread. Many more pictures to come because I'm a big car fan, too!

Yes, there are many tractors of the last century, but I don't know much about all the different manufacturers. The Wiki for tractors says that the Porsche Diesel Super was built from 1957-1960. It has 38 HP and a maximum speed of 20 km/h or 12.5 mph. It is the successor of the P 133 tractor.
Would you believe me if I told you that this Porsche still gets service?

Porsche 111 Diesel Cabriolet - a very special car needs a very special service.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:51:16 AM by Darth More »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2022, 03:29:28 PM »
Yes...Yes I would believe it. My Dad was an American tractor aficionado (maybe "knowledgeable tractor enthusiast" would be the correct phrase) as he grew up on a farm. I am not, but have friends who are "gentlemen" farmers, so I've learned a few things. 

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2022, 10:16:54 PM »
That's so cool! And this is the exact reason why I thought it'd be good to share the pictures here as well. I know there are many fans of agricultural vehicles in the U.S. - it's literally essential to all of us and I think many people around me forget about that and take it for granted that we can buy fresh fruits and vegetables at our local supermarkets every day.

As a boy I was fascinated by tractors. And still am. So I can well relate to your father's passion for them.

I think your 1987 El Camino is super cool! I'd love to see a picture of your car. I remember when I was at high school and still got lots of time. I loved to wash my VW Golf III convertible from 1996 by hand for hours. My record was 8 hours while listening to music. I even used some cotton swabs to clean the smallest details.

22 - Morphadron - Dr. Know

Good times! And if you have a computer or PlayStation 2 I can highly recommend to you to play Need For Speed Porsche from 2000. To me this is the very best of the NFS series. Thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 10:18:27 PM by Darth More »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2022, 11:20:27 PM »
Perhaps I'll post a couple of pictures after he gets a desperately needed paint job. The car has survived twenty winters in Alaska as well as the Washington rain, but the original paint job has taken a beating over the years. So, he looks a little rough ( and yes I know on English vehicles are usually feminine, but my kids insisted we refer to the El Camino in the masculine).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 04:01:10 AM »
Thats so awesome. I didn't even know there was a such thing as a Porsche Tractor! Great stuff.

This reminds me I need to get a coat of wax on my truck. I am so behind this summer.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2022, 09:00:30 AM »
Perhaps I'll post a couple of pictures after he gets a desperately needed paint job. The car has survived twenty winters in Alaska as well as the Washington rain, but the original paint job has taken a beating over the years. So, he looks a little rough ( and yes I know on English vehicles are usually feminine, but my kids insisted we refer to the El Camino in the masculine).

Yes, please! Twenty winters in Alaska?! I'm glad your car survived that tough time. Reminds me of the TV shows on DMAX and elsewhere about the crews digging for gold and fishing for crabs in Alaska. Let's hope Putin won't claim it back.

Thats so awesome. I didn't even know there was a such thing as a Porsche Tractor! Great stuff.

I wouldn't know either if the owner of one of them wasn't friends with my dad.

This reminds me I need to get a coat of wax on my truck. I am so behind this summer.

Dew it!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2022, 10:49:26 AM »
Please delete this one as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:45:13 AM by Darth More »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2022, 09:22:35 PM »
Okay Phillip,
This is just for you :) My family took a trip to Idaho this week to visit some of my wife's family. And...the Idaho State Fair was going on. They happened to have a Tractor Exhibition:

Philipp, these are the U.S. counterparts to the German tractors you showed us - no Porsches in here :) (But there is a Ford)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2022, 01:43:27 AM »
Okay Phillip,
This is just for you :) My family took a trip to Idaho this week to visit some of my wife's family. And...the Idaho State Fair was going on. They happened to have a Tractor Exhibition:
(...)
Philipp, these are the U.S. counterparts to the German tractors you showed us - no Porsches in here :) (But there is a Ford)

This is super awesome! I think most car conventions take place in July & August and towards Thanksgiving the Tractor clubs join in. After the Pandemic I totally missed to look up which conventions happen this year. The U.S. Car Convention was the one that I was looking forward to the most. But it couldn't happen last year and this year I missed it. I was too busy at the beginning of July anyways. Still hurts a little. There are two more fairs of interest to me: one for minerals, jewels and fossils and the other one for fire trucks if anyone is interested?

Looks like I posted the pictures above a few hours too early. I'll just move them. Idaho is one of many States I haven't been, yet. The tractors look as pristine as they could be. Love the Ford in grey and red. It's interesting to see which designs different designers came up with.
Definitely a cool hobby to look into. Thanks for sharing this brilliant follow-up report :D

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2022, 01:44:26 AM »
I took the time today and slept in and basically chillaxed the whole day. After weeks of heat and the resulting drought, it finally rains here over Dresden. The Rain came all the way from France and started falling last night. And it has been raining the whole day at a frequency which is a true blessing. I hope it keeps raining for some more hours here over Saxony. The plants and animals need the water so desperately.

Last night I talked to FialaFernbrugg until my neighbors called me out to go downtown with them. While we were on the phone, I went to Kaufland and was able to show Christoph some details of the store. And of course I got some Austrian beer to enjoy while talking to him. We had a good talk as always. And on my way there, I saw a Camaro.

Despite the fact that many people here in the East think that the people of the West (of Germany) are evil (rich(er), arrogant and spoiled), there are many fans of American cars around here.
I often see them and sometimes I have enough time to pull my phone out of the pocket in time:

As I learned from a friend, this is a longbed pick-up truck.

More and more people in their mid 20's buy some nice 80s cars which have become affordable by now.

The VW T1 on the other hand has sky-rocketed in value over the past couple decades. They go somewhere from 70,000-200,000€ depending on condition.

Many other classic cars from BMW gain value every year as well. Their beauty is timeless...

Here in Germany all Vintage and Classic Cars get an H-license plate. H stands for historic.