Author Topic: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?  (Read 14263 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:34:21 AM »
I had considered creating this earlier.
It’s starting to impact us at work now and I figured it might be time to make a thread where we could vent our troubles.
Has the COVID-19 outbreak affected you or your family and how?

The brothers two kids in college are home now to finish their semesters remotely now, and he is working from home.
  My wife manages receiving for a company that sells teaching supplies to schools. With all of the schools closing, they are cutting her hours.
  My company that I work for bids jobs for school districts all the time.
It should trickle down to me shortly. We were already blocked for access to a building at the job-site on Monday. Their staff were working from home that day.

I couldn’t find eggs to buy yesterday. I couldn’t go into city hall to pay my water bill either. A city official met me in the parking lot and said “ we are shut down, man”. I had to drop my payment in the slot.
  I’ve never seen anything quite like this before, and I’m older than Shawn, I think.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:39:58 AM by Clonehead »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »
I deliver bread for a living, and I'm staying busy working keeping product on the shelf. It's a really recession proof job, that's why I got into it, that and the nearly total independence. So, the increase in sales, falling gas prices and lowering interest rates are really great for me, As long as I don't get sick!.
Yesterday I had a receiver check in my product, and I was making small talk, and she tells me she's sick with a 104 degree temperature. Needless to say I was pissed. If I get sick I'm pretty much screwed, and I will not go to work sick with Corona and infect half the metro area. That would be irresponsible.
My immune system is pretty good, outside of my Diverticulitis I never get sick, but that's bacterial not viral, so I can't transmit it to others. Hopefully that manager didn't transmit anything to me. She wasn't coughing or showing any respiratory illness, so that eases my mind slightly. I have to deliver to a retirement home and have to get screened every time I go. I heard yester a resident there was diagnosed with Corona after returning from Florida.  I buy toilet paper in bulk anyway so I'm good for a little while. I use rubbing alcohol for acrylic paint thinner, so I'll have to use something else.
Hopefully this will start to subside once flu season ends.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:18:33 PM by JDeck »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:10:53 AM »
Business as usual. I arrested someone tonight for a serious warrant. It's job security for me, but others out there arent as lucky.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
I am a postal carrier so I am still at work every day.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 05:44:44 AM »
We just got word yesterday that we can work at home for the duration of this. I have to go into work for a few hours in order to be able to do it though. Hand sanitizer on everything!

Crazy JDeck about that one employee. My wife's parents are still going out and going everywhere and they are in their late 70s. They just seem to think it can't effect them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:02:47 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 04:57:38 AM »
Yeah Tamer that manager must have lost her mind. I told her she should have stayed home, but she responded, well no one else is going to do it. Like she's going to get fired for not spreading a pandemic. SMH. my dad is like me, he doesn't buy into the hype, but he's not taking any chances either. People ought to be able to live their lives if it weren't for people going to work sick. I have a libertarian mindset I don't think local, state or federal governments should have to tell people what to do, unfortunately there are some who have to be told what to do.  Same thing with the Toilet paper, you shouldn't have to tell people a 36 pack of double ply is enough. If you need that much toilet paper you have more serious problems.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:24:47 AM by JDeck »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:06 AM »
I just heard that three schools we had contracted future work for have contacted us about pushing up our starting dates since all of the schools are shut down. Perhaps I won’t run out of work after all.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
I went it to work yesterday to give them stuff folks can pick up if they want, but it looks like I will be working at home till this is over.

Now, if we could get my wife's parents to stay home. Her dad scheduled a surgery for early next week. Insert appropriate meme. >:(

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 07:08:32 AM »
Honestly the Hospital is the last place I'd go, you're probably more likely to get it there. You pick up all kinds of stuff in the hospital. I know a guy who caught MRSA and lost his leg. I told my dad he should probably reschedule his checkup, until things start getting back to normal.

If you're looking for bread this weekend, you're out of luck. I ordered twice as much as my average weekly order, and ended up with $1000 less than my average weekly total. I was hoping to make some money, but the factories can only produce so much. Guys with big routes ordered by the thousands and backlogged production.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 07:14:35 AM »
Honestly the Hospital is the last place I'd go, you're probably more likely to get it there. You pick up all kinds of stuff in the hospital. I know a guy who caught MRSA and lost his leg. I told my dad he should probably reschedule his checkup, until things start getting back to normal.

If you're looking for bread this weekend, you're out of luck. I ordered twice as much as my average weekly order, and ended up with $1000 less than my average weekly total. I was hoping to make some money, but the factories can only produce so much. Guys with big routes ordered by the thousands and backlogged production.

I spoke with a Hostess delivery guy at my local gas station at work and he said they usually have a surplus of bread that they usually throw out but because of shortages and everything else, that they don't have anything to toss now. His shift work is shortened at each store he delivers by a large margin. That was kind of shocking to hear.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »

I spoke with a Hostess delivery guy at my local gas station at work and he said they usually have a surplus of bread that they usually throw out but because of shortages and everything else, that they don't have anything to toss now. His shift work is shortened at each store he delivers by a large margin. That was kind of shocking to hear.
Yeah Hostess is a hot mess right now. They were once owned by International Baking Company until they went bankrupt. Then the company was divided, Flowers bought Wonder and Merits (bread) and I believe the same company that bought Pabst Blue Ribbon bought Hostess. Hostess tried to get back into the bread market, but it didn't do so well. One thing I noticed was, the shelf life on their bread was over a month, I don't even see how that's possible.

I know with pepridge farm cookies, they get tons and tons of waste. An unbelievable amount. With flowers, I'm not sure, I know I have to order 6 days ahead of time for bread and 2 weeks ahead for Tasty Kake. Which is a pain, but I guess it helps lower waste.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

Yeah Hostess is a hot mess right now. They were once owned by International Baking Company until they went bankrupt. Then the company was divided, Flowers bought Wonder and Merits (bread) and I believe the same company that bought Pabst Blue Ribbon bought Hostess. Hostess tried to get back into the bread market, but it didn't do so well. One thing I noticed was, the shelf life on their bread was over a month, I don't even see how that's possible.

I know with pepridge farm cookies, they get tons and tons of waste. An unbelievable amount. With flowers, I'm not sure, I know I have to order 6 days ahead of time for bread and 2 weeks ahead for Tasty Kake. Which is a pain, but I guess it helps lower waste.

It probably has so many preservatives in it that it's disgusting. I only eat fresh bread...

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
We use natural preservatives, mostly vinegar, which is great most of the time. However when winter turns to summer, and it's more hot and humid, they have to change the formula, They don't always change it in time so the bread can mold prematurely, or they screw up the formula and it smells bad.

That's what happened last year, my bulk bread went moldy within days and my branded honey wheat smelled awful, so people stopped buying. Now that I've gotten my customers back, they have to change the formula again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:25:46 AM by JDeck »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
We use natural preservatives, mostly vinegar, which is great most of the time. However when winter turns to summer, and it's more hot and humid, they have to change the formula, They don't always change it in time so the bread can mold prematurely, or they screw up the formula and it smells bad.

That's what happened last year, my bulk bread went moldy within days and my branded honey wheat smelled awful, so people stopped buying. Now that I've gotten my customers back, they have to change the formula again.

I use to have a fresh bakery near me when I lived with my dad. Now I'm forced to grab what's on a walmart shelf. Lol

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 06:47:09 AM »
I am having a hard time keeping my wife at home now. It is like she is inventing things to go out. I think I am gonna have to hide the car keys. She was convinced to stay away from the hospital this week as her dad gets a non emergency surgery. Then, her mom has a regular doctor's appointment later on this week. It is like she is finding things to go out for. I have told her that she needs to stay away from any medical place this week for a bit. Her parents, both in their late 70s, are in states of denail too. They are going out and doing things business as usual. I don't know what to think about them.