Author Topic: Vintage 2010 Wave 1  (Read 11464 times)

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
Re: Vintage 2010 Wave 1
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
Well thats not far off. Who would make a bid for it?.....any ideas?

Mezco did an amazing job on the Hellboy figures they released in this scale. 

And I have to say McFarlane may actually be getting themselves back in the game after some of the things they've done lately.  I have no interest in the Prince of Persia; but the figures McFarlane did for the movie looked pretty good.

NECA is another toy company I think can do some great things.  I don't know that they have any experience in the 3.75" scale though. 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
I have just uploaded two video reviews for new Vintage Collection figures.

First up is the ATAT Commander...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBB9Nh_j_U

Second is the Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2wfJkEcTsU

I have more review videos to shoot if I can find time tomorrow.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2010, 07:36:19 AM »
These videos are great Clint. I need to remember to put these links up in the Hasbro Review thread. I need to get a little play button up for the review graphic on the front page to show its a video too. I will work on that.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
Here is a video review of the new Dengar figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcEhL8j2XY8

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
Dengar is too clean. Need to dirty him up ourselves. Hey Clint do you agree that the mail away Boba Fett needs a range finder on his helmet. I know that's not how he originally came but still. Some other pics of Vader I saw he looked normal, so I guess we'll have to see what he looks like for ourselves.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
CS, I'm sure that Hasbro wants this Fett to look as close to the original mail-away Fett as possible and that one did not have a rangefinder. I have one of those original ones in my basement somewhere.

Here is a review video that I shot today of the Dack Ralter figure. I will try to get a picture review of him up tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-Q2K1fu6Q

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
I'm sure that Hasbro wants this Fett to look as close to the original mail-away Fett as possible and that one did not have a rangefinder. I have one of those original ones in my basement somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-Q2K1fu6Q

Speaking on this Fett, when you look at him and think about how the old vintage Fett looked, it seems about spot on in my opinion.  However, if you go grab a vintage Fett and compare the two side by side, there's no mistaking they're different.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »
I seen a comparison shot of the old and new, and the new one is a lot taller.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
I seen a comparison shot of the old and new, and the new one is a lot taller.

Yeah and call me crazy, but I was actually shocked at the difference.  One of my initial thoughts when I knew Hasbro was doing this figure was whether or not you'd see more than the occasional ebay type auctions attempting to sell "the original thing".  I guess I like Hasbro changed this figure up to the extent they did.

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
Well, it's nice to know some things are consistant. Hasbro can still NOT please everybody. I, like many of you was disappointed after seeing the convention pics about this line. I thought the thought of prequel characters on vintage style cards was awesome but the thought of so many repacks was a little off-putting. Now that I have these figures I have changed my tune and I hope many of you will to.

Here are I my final opinions on wave 1:

Dengar - I thought the 2004 saga version was as near to definitive as we would ever need, articulation be damned. Well the new version is almost perfect. The only negatives are his stance is a little too wide and the codpiece of his armour neither attaches nor stays on well but the paint job is spectacular.

Leia (Hoth Outfit) - A superb upgrade. The articulation is great even without ankles and she holds her gun really well (which is sometimes a rarity). While most of her deco is fabulous she is a little heavy on the makeup which can disguise how great he portrait is. If you look at her face from profile you will see that it is a pretty darn good Carrie Fisher likeness. That nose of her's is hard to acheive and keep feminine, just ask sideshow.

Han Solo (Echo Base outfit) - While I agree that a Bespin Han is long overdue, this one is a welcome addition for me. It's not often we get classic trilogy characters in ways we never have before and this was one of many ways Hasbro is trying to get some freshness into the first wave of vintage (even if it is a kitbash). The coat is awesome and I really love the face portrait, but it falls short on likeness solely because of the hair sculpt. It's too short on the sides when it should be covering the tops of his ears. The only other complaint I have is that the coat and elbow articulation prevents Han from holding the welding mask over his face.

Luke Skywalker (Bespin fatigues) - My favorite figure of this wave. I admit to having a soft spot for any Bespin Luke because it was my "go to" figure as a kid but this new version is 99% perfect. The likeness is astounding at this scale and the articulation is so well hidden by the aesthetics of the scult that it blows my mind. A newly sculpted sidearm that this time actually fits nicely in his hand a lightsaber hilt that attaches to his belt renders the ball jointed hips just icing on the cake. On the subject of the hips, they provide the only negative to this figure. It's a step forward and a half step back as Luke can no longer bend 90 degrees at the waist.

At-at commander - Great figure and should be the new imperial officer go to body from here on out. The uniform color is a little too light and I have mixed feeling on the generic nature of the figure. Also we just had a very good General Veers (whom the actual vintage figure was meant to be) back in 2006. Still this is probably another case of Hasbro trying to please some and failing to please others.

See-Threepio (C-3PO) - I was baffled by this figure initially. Photography from the trade shows was not doing it any favors and I could not see how a departure from vac-metalization was anything akin to a good idea. Boy was I wrong. This one is my  new favorite Threepio ever. I'm not sure why the decided to add the removeable panel things but they are pretty neat and for the most part, stay on well. My only complaints are that if they had gone further and made all the limbs removable it would be a great vintage counterpart. Also the one leg that is removeable below the knee joint is, I think, the wrong  leg to be screen accurate for the escape from Bespin scene but this stuff does tend to happen sometimes because Kenner had a nasty habit of flipping the photes on the actual vintage cards leading to a lot of confusion of the details.

I'll get to the rest in a little while but for now, I gotta go.

"I feel a great disturbance in the force... , though it might just be gas."

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
Welcome back Obi-Sean it has been awhile.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »
Enjoyed reading your comments, Kenobi.

The thing with Dengar, the trouble he has with his cod piece seems to vary from figure to figure.  Some have problems keeping it on, some don't.  I'd think a bit of hot water and some reshaping would fix it.