Author Topic: ><DarthSinister>< Presents: A Different Point Of View  (Read 109810 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: ><DarthSinister>< Presents: A Different Point Of View
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
Charles, I have just caught this latest group of work/covers and now the first VC figure. I have to tell you I am blown away! I got the bermuda triange vibe for sure. I love everything about these, so creepy, so dark, so classic, so awesome! I really enjoyed reading about these guys and thanks for the info on where the names and things came from. It is so cool the way you reason everything out and there is real meaning to these guys that relates to real word terms. I hope you know what  am trying to say here. As much as I loved reading it was all I could do not to scroll down to see all the awesome covers, man these are even better than the first time! Thanks for sharing these awesome ideas you have had and brought to graphic life...runs off to look at those covers again.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
Wow, what a great idea. I love this idea and wow your first one rocks.

On the front page with you.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Thank You Tamer!

Actually this ain't my first rodeo. "Virtual Customs" are what I am known for over at the Scum. I started them as "Poorman's Customs", because it required no money to do them and I got the same satisfaction out of creating them as I would a hard copy. I must have upwards near 200 "VC"s seen and unseen.

It's also a great way to see if certain parts look good with others and with what color scheme. You can also mix the scale sizes of figures effortlessly, creating something simply awesome that couldn't be done in the real world.

I first championed this style to rally support for the very "unloved" MARVEL comics characters by giving them a modern update to show people how much fun they could be.

Here are some examples of the MARVEL line:

Also began dabbling out side of Star Wars:

I'm a big SuperHero fan as well, with Superman being my favorite. I've done a lot of Superman and a few others too....

And some other Star Wars:

How about a concept playset update?

One day I'll post them all. I was just having fun exploring the comic covers, which is something new I've been doing.

Thanks again, and let me know what ya'll think of this batch.

Also keep in mind that I do not hand draw this stuff. I scavenge the internet for any and all pictures that work for what I want to get out of my head and piece them together using photoshop. I don't call the base artwork my own, just the collage.

I also would not mind a bit if anyone sees anything they'd like to make a custom figure of to go right ahead and make it your own!

I wish I could earn a living off of this kind of work. ;D

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »
This are absolutely insane!!!

The work that has gone into them must have been phenomenal! All of the images are great fun to look at and show wonderful creativity.

Excellent post DS!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
Iremember the droid factory update but this is the first time I have seen the parts packages that cold be sold with them. I would buy so many of those! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
Wow Jules, I agree out of this world!

That Droid Factory Concept is so cool.

I must say that Lee Marvin Cyborg custom idea is insane. I also love the Punisher looking Mandalorian Helmet. Wow, I would love to see a customizer here make that one!

Wow, I will get more of this up on the fp tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

As far as making a living off of this I know what you mean. I guess some folks do so why can't we too!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Naga Raja...brilliant piece of art!!  :D

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
This are absolutely insane!!!

The work that has gone into them must have been phenomenal! All of the images are great fun to look at and show wonderful creativity.

Excellent post DS!

Thanks HangarBay, I really love to do them.

You know... it takes more time to search out just the right picture to use than it does to create them. It's easy for me to create them because I already have a solid picture in my mind of what I want to do. ;D

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
Charles, I have just caught this latest group of work/covers and now the first VC figure. I have to tell you I am blown away! I got the bermuda triange vibe for sure. I love everything about these, so creepy, so dark, so classic, so awesome! I really enjoyed reading about these guys and thanks for the info on where the names and things came from. It is so cool the way you reason everything out and there is real meaning to these guys that relates to real word terms. I hope you know what  am trying to say here. As much as I loved reading it was all I could do not to scroll down to see all the awesome covers, man these are even better than the first time! Thanks for sharing these awesome ideas you have had and brought to graphic life...runs off to look at those covers again.

I'm glad you got the Bermuda Triangle nod L.E., there is a lot of real world mythos that can so perfectly slip into the Star Wars universe. I don't read a lot of EU so I never know if I'm repeating something that's already out there or not. I think the last thing I actually read was the Thrawn Trilogy and I was not totally thrilled with it.

I know EU though. For instance the Vong. I've never read the books or comics but I kind of know what it's about. I'll occasionally look these things up on Wookipedia.

Funny story about the Dark Lords Series. A long time ago I was a moderator on a site called StarWarsFan.org. There were a lot of creative oldtimers on there. (I say oldtimers, but what I mean is this was pre-prequels) We started a story thread that I kind of charged where everyone would add to as it went along. I had the base story worked out and just guided it in the right direction. These Dark Lords and the Hidden Sith were the main villains in the story. I never had them drawn out like I do here, they only existed it text only.

I've held on to them for a long time, and the story premise too. There were a lot of great people on that site... Lord Palmer, Jedi Chick and Jedi Clampet just to name a few. After the Prequel series came out the site kind of died. I guess the OT'ers just lost interest and it soon shut down. Haven't seen any of them since, shame because they were nice people.

Iremember the droid factory update but this is the first time I have seen the parts packages that cold be sold with them. I would buy so many of those! Thanks for sharing!

Yep.

The thought behind that was you could sell "Droid Factory Filler Packs" for the base set. You could do an Astromech set, a Protocol set, a Medical set, Bounty Hunter, Utility Droid, Military..... you get the picture. ;D

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Wow Jules, I agree out of this world!

That Droid Factory Concept is so cool.

I must say that Lee Marvin Cyborg custom idea is insane. I also love the Punisher looking Mandalorian Helmet. Wow, I would love to see a customizer here make that one!

Wow, I will get more of this up on the fp tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

As far as making a living off of this I know what you mean. I guess some folks do so why can't we too!

Thanks Tamer!

This site is so alive with new customs and art every day, it must be a full time job to keep up! I think you need a longer front page. It changes daily at least 10 times!

I loved the old Droid Factory so I had to re-do it. If you like the Valance Cyborg and the Mando helmet check out my custom figures thread to see the real McCoy.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »
Naga Raja...brilliant piece of art!!  :D

Thanks botwt!

If you like the Dark Lords there will be more down the road. I've still got a few more in me. ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
Wow, a custom figures thread, I am gonna have to sniff that out.

And yes, for my my true customizing talent it is trying to get the word out about all of the great work going on in here. It is such a great problem to have not being able to have time enough to take it all in some days, the folks here (yourself included) just put up so much great stuff that I go into overload many days. The only bad thing is I do miss things from time to time and that bugs me because imo it all deserves recognition.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
Awesome job on the virtuals! 

I'm really diggin' that Mace Windu-esque Jedi further down in that list; I think I might have the parts to put that one together for real (after my stuff gets out of storage).  The droid factory and assorted "parts" are especially sweeeet!  All of these are thoroughly awesome though!   ;D

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2011, 03:42:44 AM »
DS, I've just been looking over these again, especially the Mandos, the skull helmet on the black one is such a great design! Was that your idea, or is it taken from an actual character?

Also the sandy brown one, the use of flat matt on the trousers has made me consider a re-think on the way I paint my customs as the matt creates a very realistic effect...

Have you made any of these as customs yourself?

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
Awesome job on the virtuals! 

I'm really diggin' that Mace Windu-esque Jedi further down in that list; I think I might have the parts to put that one together for real (after my stuff gets out of storage).  The droid factory and assorted "parts" are especially sweeeet!  All of these are thoroughly awesome though!   ;D

Thanks Merc! That body is a TRINTO DUABA.

I always disliked the Jedi robes and costumes in general from the prequels. In "A NEW HOPE" I saw the robes that "Old Ben Kenobi" and A LOT of the locals on Tatooine wore as typical protective desert garb. I was disappointed when I saw in the prequels that this was just standard attire for Jedi????? At 10 yrs old, when I heard "old Ben" tell Luke about the "Jedi Knights", I automatically pictured some type of armored space knight.

This is one version of Mace I created to appease the disappointment of the prequel costumes. This was his regular attire. I have one of him done in Jedi armor as well. It also, to me, has more of an OT feel.