Author Topic: ><DarthSinister>< Presents: A Different Point Of View  (Read 109829 times)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: ><DarthSinister>< Presents: A Different Point Of View
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
Congrats on the promotion, it's well deserved. Please keep up the great work!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
Congrats on the promotion, it's well deserved. Please keep up the great work!

Thanks my friend.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
The last time I posted I didn't run off a new MARVEL cover. MARVEL comics #8 featured several characters and for me these are a group of cherished characters so I wanted to get it right. It takes some time to produce these and there were six intricate individuals I had to scratch out and make to look as if they were actually in a STAR WARS movies.

The story itself is a take on the film "The Magnificent Seven" . In Star Wars #8 Han and Chewie are hired to protect a village from a gang of swoop bikers and the pair decide to hire a band of misfits to help them out. Here we meet the infamous STAR HOPPERS who are comprised of (to me) some real interesting characters including Don-Wan Kihotay, an old man who thinks he is a Jedi Knight. Hedji, a member of the rare Spiner species. Jimm Doshun, also known as "the Starkiller Kid" was a Human male native to Onacra, Aduba-3. FE-9Q was a tractor-robot employed in the farming community of Onacra on Aduba-3. Amaiza Foxtrain was a Human female who found work, respectively, as a dancer, a pirate, a gunslinger, and a smuggler, and Jaxxon was a quick-witted Lepi smuggler from Coachelle Prime.

I am a Jaxxon fan. I know that in the Star Wars community you either like Jax or you hate him, but before you write him off check out my version of him and the Starhoppers and try to keep an open mind. I think the group's worst enemy was bad art work and I have tirelessly tried to rectify this error.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »
Charles this is again some awesome digital imaging! I love your update to the characters! Jaxxon looks great and Amaiza...well...I am going to have to make your new version of her to go with my Jaxxon. I also like the look of FE and plan to make make it as well. Did you ever get the Hedgie head finished? If so I would love to get one when you get some casting time. Great update Charles!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
Love the new piece!

Great group shot...if it's possible to be on the fence about Jaxxon, then I am.  I think I'm inclined to dislike him immensely, but when I see him done right, I waffle a little.  (Compliments to your work!)

My personal favorite of this group is Hedji: don't know why, he just looks the part of Star Wars a little bit more to me than most of the others (exception of the Luke-like character).

Hats off to you on another wonderful job!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:06 AM »
Wow. Jaw dropping.

My comments about this are on the front page.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
Charles this is again some awesome digital imaging! I love your update to the characters! Jaxxon looks great and Amaiza...well...I am going to have to make your new version of her to go with my Jaxxon. I also like the look of FE and plan to make make it as well. Did you ever get the Hedgie head finished? If so I would love to get one when you get some casting time. Great update Charles!

Thanks L.E., I'm very proud of the Jaxxon he came out exactly the way I wanted him to. I'd love to see you put out some more of these characters!!!!!! The Hedji head was never completed... but, He will be. As soon as I'm done with my houses I'm going to resume customizing. In my present residence, my office/workshop is piled high with not only my stuff but all of the overflow from everywhere else. I'm kind of last on the list.

Thanks again!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2011, 07:06:56 AM »
Love the new piece!

Great group shot...if it's possible to be on the fence about Jaxxon, then I am.  I think I'm inclined to dislike him immensely, but when I see him done right, I waffle a little.  (Compliments to your work!)

My personal favorite of this group is Hedji: don't know why, he just looks the part of Star Wars a little bit more to me than most of the others (exception of the Luke-like character).

Hats off to you on another wonderful job!

(In my best Ben Kenobi voice)

You do like Jaxxon, Merc. These are the characters you're looking for.

I've tried to make these guys look as "Star Wars" as I can. I really understand the old MARVEL comics and what Roy Thomas & Howard Chaykin were trying to do. It was kind of the same premise that I use on my other covers. Taking a great story and bringing it into the Star Wars Universe. They didn't always succeed, but I still get it.

I guarantee you if I had the time to re-write these stories and re-do the art work you'd see em' in a different light. They'd probably become some of your favorites.

Thanks my friend.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Wow. Jaw dropping.

My comments about this are on the front page.

Hey, thanks Tamer!

I got to finally listen to CAFN late last night and your interview with Jullian. It was great!!! I love that guy. He's so talented and it's just a wonderful thing that the ShipYards promotes these artists.

Never stop doing what you're doing!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
Okay back to my MARVEL comics re-boots...

Issue #7 looked a little lack-luster to me so I did a quick revamp on my cover in the tradition of the Star Wars movie posters.

Of coarse in this issue Han and Chewie leave the rebels to go and pay Jabba back, but on the way they're hijacked by pirates. Crimson Jack is the first EU character to be seen here. Jack kindly loots the Falcon and steals the reward given to Solo for rescuing the Princess. This leaves Han and Chewie high and dry so they make a stop on Aduba-3 to try to earn a credit or two to get by. Luckily they run into a Verpine priest referred to as Pera and he offers the two payment for burying a cyborg spacer. The catch is that Han and Chewie have to fight off some of the locals that are not happy about a cyborg being buried in their local cemetery.

Here are some of the key characters in this issue....

And as I said above, I'm really happy with the way Jaxxon turned out. I've made it a mission of mine to make this character "liked" by those who don't really like him. Like Merc, some are on the fence so I want them on my side with this guy!

Does he look vaguely familiar to anyone?

Gee... I think I've seem him before.

Perhaps in one of the OT movies?

Yep. He sure was! He, or should I say they, just looked a little different.  So how'd I do it? Behold.........

That's why he may have looked familiar. Just a little photoshop tutorial of sorts. Hope ya'll like em'!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
Well look at that.

What a transformation. I like the new covers too.

Glad you like CAFN. I am hopeful perhaps on time we can get you on there to talk about your great covers.

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 03:58:52 AM »
Just love the latest batch of covers!!!

Great work as always!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

Can't wait to see where you are headed next!!!

Rich

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:35 AM »
Well see, that's all it took to get me to like Jaxxon: just create his mug using one of Jabba's goons, which I have no problem with whatsoever!   ;)

Great goodness this morning...LOOOVVVVE Crimson Jack---brilliant use of Jeff Bridges there!  (Is that Obadiah Stane with Capt. Typho's eye patch?)

Awesome new set, my good sir!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2011, 04:04:34 AM »
Awesome, awesome work Charles! I knew there was something familure with Jaxxon's look. Thanks for the grand reveal of how you made him come to life. Love the new cover and the main characters.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
Well look at that.

What a transformation. I like the new covers too.

Glad you like CAFN. I am hopeful perhaps on time we can get you on there to talk about your great covers.

Glad you liked the transformation Tamer! As getting on CAFN, I'd be open to it. I'd like to start doing custom work again first though.