Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 77776 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
Quick update, I skipped the 6 mm only layer and mixed it in with a 12 mm layer. When it dries, it’s time for flowers or posts

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2019, 03:02:24 AM »
Time to take this to the front page too.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #302 on: March 02, 2019, 02:25:29 AM »
The vegetation looks incredibly realistic.
Excellent work.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #303 on: March 08, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »
The vegetation looks incredibly realistic.
Excellent work.
  Thank you sir!
I apologize for stopping work on that last infil piece. You see, the layout of the course on my track is in more of a constant flux than I would have considered possible. I had used the tightest Radius curve pieces on my whole layout except for the high banked curve because of room restrictions and because they were the most common. Sometime back, about the time my work halted here, I started acquiring larger radius pieces and then it was on. The middle run and parts of the two flat curves have been changed to accommodate for faster cornering and to make room in the middle for a third lane section when I expand the length again.
  Some days I’ll work on cars and some days I’ll work on the track. Yesterday, I worked on the track all day changing the middle layout and departure from the first curve again. After coming up with something I liked, I put all the shoulder back together and trimmed pieces to fit or mesh together as before. Some were scraps, I used the dremeled to cut this time. On the two curves with infield areas, the inner shoulders have been changed but the connecting straight shoulder sections haven’t been replaced and have a gap that I filled with extra tire stacks. The cars don’t travel in those areas and it provides a quick fix.
    Once again, it’s time to fill the remaining gap areas where the track is close and the shoulder is skipped with smooth it plaster from Woodland Scenics. Gaps are prepped with plastic wrap and smooth it is mixed and poured wet. Some light finishing with a flat foam piece was worked in and the areas were left to dry.ill trim off the excess plastic and stain the plaster to look like asphalt and the cars will be able to slide cleanly across as their rear ends drift out in the corners.
Exciting stuff

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2019, 06:47:25 AM »
The continuing delimma is that I know that parts of this track will change again as I stage a broader expansion. It’s like I’m ttying to develop the most easily convertible version of what it will become.
Here are the wet plaster shots. I haven’t been down there yet today to look at it.
Wish me luck

Could have looked worse, after trimming away the extra plastic and some cleanup, im ready for asphalt too coat.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:20:59 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2019, 09:00:38 AM »
I think its great you are already planning on expansion so its not a massive undertaking when you are ready for it. Sure should have done something similar with my collection room.

Off to share. Looks great Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »
After some dry time and some cleanup, the plaster is ready to stain using this asphalt top coat. Next to that bottle is my Ronson gas powered soldering iron that has a handy heat gun application I have been using to quicken the plaster drying process a bit.
  Filling these gaps in between shoulders and opposing lanes here will ensure for smoother drifting action from the cars while cornering.
   Several of the outer paremeter streetlights are in constant states of remounting as some of the cars drift out so far that the spoilers will catch and take out the lights. I have moved the mounts out for these lights by 1/2 inch and they still get taken out. It’s a learning process

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:03 AM »
Looks like you are getting there.

Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
Clint, no matter what you do, you always take it to a new level, nobody ever has been before - your slot car track is a dream come true! I'm very glad to see this project gives you so much motvation and joy!

Thanks for sahring this joy with us!

- Philipp

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Clint, no matter what you do, you always take it to a new level, nobody ever has been before - your slot car track is a dream come true! I'm very glad to see this project gives you so much motvation and joy!

Thanks for sahring this joy with us!

- Philipp
That’s enough to make one blush. Just being included in such a sideshow of talent in this place is a treat, Phillip
  Sorry for the break, I still switch from workin in cars to working on the course to driving on the course, etc. I miss driving when the course is down for changes.

Got my top coat down this morning and have a bit of cleanup still to do.
I like the shape of the inner course now for prior expansion design. That middle run will grow to three lanes wide one day as the pit lane will grow longer, have a second pit area, and another switch to enter or egress the pit lane in the middle of the pit run. “That way, two racers can pit to get fuel at once and enter or exit the pit independently from one another”

Next up, two fence sections are to be added to pit row with lights and then, back to diorama inserts. “ been missing making those as well”

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2019, 06:19:45 AM »
I can't imagine something like this being in my hobby room. Awesome Clint. Off to share the update.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
Dude. This is way beyond badass!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2019, 03:37:23 AM »
JD is right!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2019, 04:08:21 AM »
Thanks guys, it’s going to get better

For months now, I have been planning on a major expansion to my track which has halted production of diorama elements for long enough to seem uncomfortable. To do the expansion, I must first move the track to another, different part of the basement. This should be its Final location and I’ll finish the basement around it with it being scooted back and forth to complete the task. The existing table for the track is made of several sections that are connected together at the top with a wrapping of two by fours. I need to wrap the bottom in a similar fashion and then find and mount some castors so I can roll the current version into its new location and then set about building another table section so we can attach and add another 4-5 foot. We will be getting a bit wider overall as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:33:40 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2019, 02:26:42 AM »
Sounds like you have the move figured out well.