Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 77798 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:32 AM »
It doesnt take that long really. What you see here is the original color of the rocks showing through that thin yellow wash of paint that was just soaked on with a mid sized brush. Drybrushing those rocks later goes fairly quickly as you don't have to be precise really.

I have been working on this one, this morning and am continuing to do things in a different order than last time.

First, I glued some aquarium gravel to the sides of the groundwork where the containment tape used to be. Then, I drilled some holes and glued in some more sprigs of the desert grasses. I have 5 patches like last time. As mentioned before, in its factory state, these "blades" of grass are almost invisible to the naked eye as they are so fine. I will trim the grass shorter, later, and put some paint on the blades to thicken em up a bit and then I will drybrush and touch up the groundwork.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:29 AM »
looking sweet Clint. Very nice.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »
thanks, buddy! I am making a nice home for that custom RC.
  Do you notice that I am more prone to keep stuff that I do than I used to be?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »
thanks, buddy! I am making a nice home for that custom RC.
  Do you notice that I am more prone to keep stuff that I do than I used to be?

I am noticing that.  Still, you offer up enough to keep all of us happy. LOL.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:59 AM »
LOL, I do what I can, buddy.
I managed to work some on the desert ops RC's dio, this morning.
  I trimmed the desert grass blades down a bit shorter and then thickened them up, blade by blade, with a light yellow paint.  You know that these blades are fine when, with my enhanced near-vision, I still cant tell where in space the blade is, as I'm painting it, with my eyes 4-5 inches away. "could be closer, could be further away, ah there it is" I then applied two layers of drybrushing to the big and little rocks on the dio. First, I used the same light brown that the figure has. Then, I used the same medium yellow that the figure wears.
  We are almost done with this little dio. I posed the as of yet, incomplete figure on it for a couple of shots.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:24:53 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:09 AM »
Boy that sure reminds me of Saudi Arabia and Iraq! Desert it is. That grass looks perfect. Great pose by that RC too.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »
Boy that sure reminds me of Saudi Arabia and Iraq! Desert it is. That grass looks perfect. Great pose by that RC too.
His poses are so limited.............He will look good in a sunshine lit pic that is, if the sun ever comes out, here.
thanks about the dio. I would have liked to have seen those places. I'm sure that being stationed there would be a bit suckky but it would be cool to see.  All I have to do to wrap this dio up is to remove the protective tape and stain the parimeter wood.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
I got a couple of update shots of this one as he was headed twards completion. There are still some paint touchups to do where the groundwork meets the finished wood.
  Next time I do this, after I remove the protective tape from the finished parimiter of the base, I need to sand it a bit prior to staining. It seems that the tape fixative may corrupt the top surface of the wood in places and affects how the stain soaks into the wood.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
Nice, very nice. Daggone I would love to see some type of acrylic or protective case fit down over the wood section encompassing the mini dio and figure. Chad did some plexiglass cases like this. The glueing of the plexiglass was a pain as I recall though. Still, awesome Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »
Thanks buddy. I have done something like that in the past for one of my military dioramas and need to show you.
  I actually have a plan for a future dio built to fit in a little protective glass and wood display case that is going to blow your mind when I get to it. I got a project or two that I need to tackle prior to going there. if I tell you too much, it will give away the surprise but I can tell you that no clones or imperial presence will be depicted..............

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2009, 05:11:08 AM »
No clones or imperials?! Well now, what are you up too?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2009, 05:13:35 AM »
No clones or imperials?! Well now, what are you up too?
If I were to tell you than you wouldn't fret about it as much or rather, you would fret about it that much more. TEE HEE

That's a future project, buddy. We have a bigger fish to fry on the burner, currently.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »
Here are a couple of shots of that WW2 diorama that I was telling you about that was built to be enclosed in an acrylic box. These shots are a bit dark and I will take some more with it's topper on a day when the sun is shining.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »
Now that is what I am talking about! Sweet WW2 dio!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
Now that is what I am talking about! Sweet WW2 dio!
Thanks, buddy! that was the first successful attempt with the green train diorama products that I use.
If you could see the stack of unbuilt ww2 kits in my basement, you would realize that I had planned on making ww2 dios for the rest of my life. Then, Star Wars customs reared it's ugly head and took me without mercy.