Author Topic: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest  (Read 34393 times)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »
hey guys!  sorry ive not been about but my health has really taken a nose dive recently ,i now have been diagnosed (but i'm not gonna go into that now) 
WOOHOO!  shawn has fallen to the dark side!!   welcome to the fold buddy,now  may the inexplicable urge to mutilate your figures take hold........

great lookin figs LE!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:43 AM »
Here's the one I cooked up last night, another rebel pilot.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:19 AM »
And here are two from my son, Brendan (aka Ad'galaar).  He said as he went thru his parts boxes, he was dismayed to find he has over the months painted on almost all his bodies and parts, so these two were pretty much it that he could build to stay inside the rules.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
Jay, I sure hope having a diagnosis means effective treatment is in your near future!

I also had a question for the customizers here. If you had your choice of a base figure to start off with, either for parts or to build on, what would it be?

Well, I'll second the "it depends" sentiment.  ;D  A lot of it varies by what details a given figure has (like LE's use of the ATAT Cmdr for the shoulder bells) and by whether I want a static display or a reposeable character.  Trinto Duaba is a nice figure for parts - alien head and hands, awesome boots, a headwrap, good holster (left-handed, for a change).  Tarados Gon was a good-looking figure that didn't get a lot of play.  Alien head and hands, super-arty arms with tight cuffs (rather than the normal Jedi bell-sleeves).  Bespin Luke - well, you can see I like *that* one!  Ball-joint hips, good generic outfit, excellent belt-rig.  Most of the newer Jedi have good legs for swapping out to use their boots.  The Apartment Jango is another outstanding fig to use.  A lot of it comes down to either starting with an idea and finding the parts to bring it to life or else seeing a figure or three and realizing there's a whole new figure awaiting release.  Then... you just gotta make it happen!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:48 AM »
yep, i've used the bespin luke for three customs so far , and apartment jango i've done 10 of them .

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »
Well the reason I ask is that I am thinking they ought to make customizers a good plain base figure like that Bespin Luke (great custom by the way Doc) that one could use as a standard base for new customs. I would think a plain figure in a plain flight or coveralls (kind of like DarkLord did with the Scanning Crew) that was thin enough body wise so folks could add armor or other accesories of choice and then we could really increase the sales of the resin casters here.

I already would like removeable chest armor for a snowtrooper or atat driver and man you could just change up the accesories for a brand new figure. I know Hasbro would probably never do this because most of us would then just buy accesories and not new figures, but man there would be a nice niche for a figure like that. If we ever get the ask Hasbro going again that is one question I may ask if we can get a consensus on what that base fig should look like. Wow listen to me talk about parts and accesories, I do believe the C virus has taken effect!

Back to the customs, I really like that custom with the bird on the staff. I think we need to see more beards and gtees too.

Jay, it is nice to see you around, but I hate to hear that you aren't feeling very well.  It sure isn't the same without your comments here and there in the threads thats for sure. If you get a chance I would love to catch up, but you sound busy.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »
Tamer, I know exactly what you are saying about a solid base figure.  What we need Hasbro to do is can the (what appears to be) stupid "waves" of releases.  There's no way to accrue accurate feedback on the popularity of a given figure when you only get him or her for one wave and then *poof* they are never made again.  Couple that with the horridly shoddy distribution out to brick-&-mortar stores and limited-exposure exclusives, and some of us NEVER see given figures!  My local WalMart usually gets ONE CASE of a given wave.  I was totally amazed when they got TWO with the Bespin Luke!

As for other base figs like you are discussing, the Imperial Scanning Crew, Imperial Engineer/Deathstar Gunner and AT-ST Driver are good starters. 

As for removable Snowie chest armor, isn't it pretty close to the AT-AT Commander armor?  We've got the Veers chestplate armor and the "no-name" commander's breast-&back slip-on armor to work from there.  And that's without hollowing out one of the myriad Snowies or Dengar.

I'm going after a snowbunnie Padme and more Hoth Leias in a few minutes.  Gotta find a good Hoth cap to give that girl...so I gotta have the head for fit-tests.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
Ah, Jay, great to see you on here, sorry to hear you are not doing well. Try to take care of yourself buddy.

Another nice one Doc!

Tamer, good question. First response is like Doc said, depends on what you are making and what details are needed. Now I love the scanning Crew guy and that is a great start. A  more non specific jumpsuit would be welcomed from me. Think Willro Hood without the beer belly. They could release it in gray, black, white, orange, red, blue, lt. blue, on and on.You could then dremel away at old torso's robing parts to add them to the new figure much like the better Boba from Roberto. I can see Imperials, Rebel pilots, bounty hunters, etc. all with removable gear. That would be grand!

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
My Kit Bash a Figure Contest Submission
Dad showed me Luke Sprywalker's Kit Bash a Figure Contest and I decided it was time I submitted a custom action figure to the contest. For my submission, I entered a fan fiction custom action figure of a female Kel Dor Jedi that was from Luke's New Jedi Order. To make her, I used the hands of a CW Plo Koon, the head of a Legacy collection Plo Koon, and the body of a Vintage Hoth Princess Leia. If we were allowed to paint, I probably would have painted her clothing a light brown similar to the way the Vintage Luke Skywalker in Bespin fatigues was painted.

Female Kel Dor Jedi

Check out my blog for more great custom action figures!!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:54:35 PM by Elias »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
not really an entry   but heres what i chucked together in 10 mins
former clone trooper mercenary

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
Nice work, you guys!

Jay, where'd that grenade-thing on your guy's bandolier come from?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Elias, great custom! and Welcome to the Yards.

Jay, that custom just looks tough. Daggone only 10 minutes?

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
Nice work, you guys!

Jay, where'd that grenade-thing on your guy's bandolier come from?

its a melta bomb from a WarHammer 40K  kit

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
Great stuff guys.... but no way Elias!   I am just working on a figure like your female Kel Dor Jedi, I'm using the same head but with an Oola body.

cool!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:03:21 PM by von reinhardt »

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
Jay, did I ever tell you that you're a great customizer?  ^-^