Author Topic: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest  (Read 34396 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: February No Paint Kit Bash Contest
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »
That is a heck of an idea to hollow out the one piece head and cast the head for her, doc.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
Just hoping it doesn't require a "true vintage" Hoth trooper head!!!   :'(

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
I figured a few folks would come unglued tonight. LOL. I told Spry if I got a snow day I would play around a bit and today we got one so I had no excuses.

Doc, tell your family I am delighted that I am known at Outland Station. I love the sound of what you are planning for our Hoth Gals. We ought to make a hundred different variations and send Hasbro a pic and ask them why they haven't thought of that.

Pat, yepper it sure wasn't for lack of wanting to do em, but I have an onry precondition of never messing up anything new if I don't know what I am doing. Well I got over that today. Still, I shocked the household here too. My wife was even sarcastic enough to bring down the daggone baby digitial thermometer to check my temperature when she caught me drilling a brand new figure.

Yepper Spry and Clonehead kept after me and I have to credit them with pushing me over the edge to finally join the brotherhood. Believe you me it was not for lack of appreciation of all the great work you guys have done at this place. I am amazed at what you guys have come up with and as this was a simple parts swap even I couldn't say no to playing with this one.

As for that Padme head guys, I could just pop it on off and send it to whoever to cast up if it is hard to find one. It sure did work well on the boba peg and the rebel trooper peg. I bet it would have worked good on the gunner fig too, but I liked the look of the clone head so well I didn't even bother. Oh, the bearded rebel trooper sure does look good on that vintage collection Mando too. The helmet is a bit snug with it on, but Clint has some larger Mando heads that would take care of that. It was a fun day.

Now I have a few other parts left over to see what to do with perhaps tomorrow?

Thanks again guys for the comments. I know these creations are fairly trivial but hearing the words from the masters at least as far as the ideas I have had feels pretty good.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »
the girls - dancing about chanting, "Go Tamer go!  Go Tamer go!"

Brendan says, "Dad... we've ruined Tamer."  To which Keke replies, "*Ruined*?  We just got him started!!"

Well, I've got to make a run into town anyway and I'll need the head if I'm to find a Hoth cap that fits it.  Good to know about the head-peg similarities - that opens up some more possibilities...  ;D  Besides, I need to see about scoring more Hoth Leias to make some permanent customs.

Tamer - welcome to the club, my friend!  Now you have a custom *YOU* created to join the ranks of those other ATAT crewmembers from other customizers you've acquired.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
My ultimate goal is to get one custom from all of the great customizers here, preferably made to my Battle of Hoth tastes, but as much to remember the customizer as the custom figure if that makes any sense. You guys really do create works of art and I would never be able to create such grandious customs as I have seen from the folks here. Still, thats what this place is all about, it isn't a competition even in the middle of this competition thread. Folks just enjoy the new combinations. Good lord next I will be scouring Joe figs for parts for my drivers and gunners. Daggone customizers anyway! ;D

I will say one thing, I think we run some type of simplified contest like this at least once a year so I can see if I get any better! I am also officially withdrawing from the actual contest as now I have a conflict of interest! Isn't that great!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
I am also officially withdrawing from the actual contest as now I have a conflict of interest! Isn't that great!

Wonderful problem to have!!

Good lord next I will be scouring Joe figs for parts for my drivers and gunners.

Crap, you just gave me an idea.....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Tamer, I'm officially impressed.  Amazingly I have been working on a similar at-at gunner! And now I don't have to! You did an excellent job.  I agree with the comments on trimming the cauldron down so that it fits better.  I would love to see this figure with the visored helmet.

Doc;  the background folks look great! I especially love the gals of course.

Man this contest is makein everyone come out of the woodwork! Far as I'm concerned everyone is a winner.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
I'm going to take one of the Juno heads and repaint it with darker hair for better contrast with the Hoth Leia outfit.

Brendan found a couple of GI Joe bodies he hadn't used paint on and made a couple of figs - I finally got them photographed, so I'll get them posted tomorrow.

I made another Rebel Pilot off the Bespin Luke body.  I'm kinda following Sprywalker's footsteps on the Rebel Pilots deal, but putting them in their off-duty fatigues instead of their flightsuits.  Again, pic of him tomorrow.

I agree on the visored ATAT helmet - that would make for an interesting look on this figure!

As for everyone being a winner - absolutely!  We get to see a lot of "I never thought about combining THAT!" type customs.  And sometimes a simple headswap nails a character - like my Ion Control girl.  Had I not just gone ahead and swapped Leia heads, I'd'a never seen it.  Very good stuff from everyone and I am assuredly enjoying participating and watching, both!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:27 AM »
TAMER ????? its a miracle HES DONE IT !!  man... i had the biggest grin when i saw that at at gunner , we're all proud of ya buddy !!

Offline artilarytrooper321

• Commander
  • take that techno-union ship down men
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2011, 05:16:35 AM »
sssooooooooooooooooooo cool

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:50 AM »
Very well stated Doc and I too am loving this conte....well, comrodery we are creating. There was a very interesting post at RS and I would like to bring the ideas here. Heck this could start a slew of customs and a new contest but here goes. I posted this in the staff section and wanted to share here and see what everyones take on this is.

When Ben Kenobi talked about the Clone Wars in A New Hope what did you invision? I know I had the idea that he was fighting the clones, not fighting with them. Clones were said to be nameless, merciless, no personality, obeyed any order as that was in there DNA/training/programing. If you have ever thought about this make the figure you invisioned. If you have never thought aboout this, erase what you have seen, go back to a simpler day and time, watch A New Hope, any OT film. Better yet look at concept art, draw from the great inspiration there. Then with a new vision create what you think the Clones would have been if you were getting ready to make the prequals.

This is what I came up with/borrowed ideas from Johnnyboomboom at RS.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:50 AM »
Saturday while Jaxon was going through CW figures for his customs I started on these next few. Just finished them up yesterday and here are the pics.

First is an old DS trooper head on a new body and hat with chin strap removed. Then I added the wire that hangs from the earmuffs. His suit will be dark gray at the end of this contest.

I also have a TON of old fodder as I was an army builder early on. So I came up with this to thin out my fodder bins.

Next I played around with a few Joe parts. I grew up loving Cowboys and Indians, had several "Big Jim" figures to play with. Soon I will do a homage to them in 3 3/4 inch scale and I guess you could say this is the begining.

No name for this one yet He is a Zartan figure with another Target head.

Next up is Grizzley. He has SE legs, Zartan torso , arms and jacket. Target figure head.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:51:06 AM by Luke Sprywalker »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »
I almost forgot about Spud asking for some Blizzard Force shots, here they are.

and this one is for Tamer

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »
Wow L.E. your Snowtrooper Commander looks even better in the middle of that group. I am telling you I am not even sure if this were mine that I would paint it as it looks pretty daggone great already. It really integrates well with the other Snowies. That Mon Calamari Trooper is pretty daggone nice too. I wish they would have used some Alien species in their combat teams on Endor. We saw a few in the briefing by Mon Mothma, but I sure don't remember seeing one great any screen time once they hit Endor. Just a shame. Oh Adawyn!

Spuda, here here on your post. Seeing the contributions to this thread really do show how much life our hobby has. I feel very proud to be associated with the group of folks I see post their great ideas here. We sure do have some great imaginations.

I am gonna hate to see this one wrapped up, but wow have we ever had this many entries in any of our customs contests?

I also had a question for the customizers here. If you had your choice of a base figure to start off with, either for parts or to build on, what would it be?

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:56 AM »
it depends on the custom , but i would choose a apartment jango , one hell of a figure !