Author Topic: HangarBay 94's Dioramas - Selling the Family Jewels  (Read 34736 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Hangar Bay 94's Chill Out Room
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
That would be a sweet prize indeed.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2009, 04:24:56 PM »
Wow, now that would be an awesome competition.  Cmon Doc, finish up those figs, we are all in agony waiting for that next installment.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
Guys I am touched by your support.

From feedback, I'm making a couple of changes, the first is that the next chapter is going to be a lot longer than the last two, I've also had some people saying that they feel that the talk bubbles take away semthing from the images, but as I like the comic book concept I'm trying to enlarge the images and reduce the size of the talk bubbles, that should be a good compromise.  

Th next part will also be featuring more locations, a space battle scene and 2 fight/gun battle scenes and I'll be introducing a host of new characters. So far I've done all of the writing, built 4 out of the 8 sets (perhaps I'll do more blue screen stuff) and have created some customs (I've posibly got 2 more custom characters to make). At a push I'm about 8 weeks away from completion (that's if I get my customs from Doc within the next couple of weeks). I'm feeling a lot more confident about my abilities to put into pictures what I see in my mind, but the next chapter will involve some pretty detailed and time consuming set pieces so plase bare with me.

All of this work has kept me from seeing other peoples work so I apologise if I've not been as active in posting elsewhere, which is very regretful, especically as I love reading comments on my own posts.

I'll keep you guys up to date on developments with images and stuff, in  the meantime, thanks for all of the Love!!!

Tamer, PM on it's way re the set giveaway.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:59:17 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »
PM recieved and repsonded to Jules. And I do not agree that the comic bubbles take it away. I like the look and do not think it detracts from the image in the least. course that just my opinion and I know everyone has one.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »
Jules, I think it's just that your images look so good that everyone wants to see every little detail in them. Kind of like me wanting to see a movie in widescren format instead of pan and scan on a tv.
Let's face it buddy, your photo novels are the most polished and best presented ones out there in my opinion.
Keep up the great work!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I guess it's just a case of "can't please all of the people all of the time".

Anyhow as it seems that poeple seem to like my photography, here are some stock images from the last two acts, this should please everyone!.

Thranta Sunset

"Good Luck Buddy"

"Opening hangar bay doors!""

Closing In...

"Weapons free...He's mine!"

Champoinne Dockyards

Entering the Thranta's engine room

Soul Searching

Bessie leaving the Thranta

Bessie launching drones

"Let's go!"

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:58:16 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »
That sunset shot is sweet, but I love that dockyards shot. I am kinda biased though.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
Inside the hangarbay.
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi, Ijust thought I'd make a little video just to show you where I am coming from and what I am getting up to!

See it here:

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
More mouth watering shots, Jules!! Just intense, my man! I will catch that video when I get a chance.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »
Came up for air and a stretch from the paint-bench and saw the puter had finished loading the vid, so I gave it a watch.  Fantastic!

Ha - with Tamer, Wraith, and now Jules shooting vids, perhaps we should start "This Old Death Star"?   ;D

Quick update - fig#1 is done except for a head, sitting off as sealer dries on a touchup and hands.  Fig#2 is waiting on those replacement hips to dry for final sealing so it can move on to assembly.  The heads are still underway, but they both have eyes now.  Next up is the hair basecoat, followed by the "aging wash" to put some gray *in.*  The belt and saber seem to be a smashing success.  I need to trim the mounting stud off the hilt, but that's a matter of a few seconds after the superglue dries on the hanging-ring.

Painting the replacement hips went *very* well - by now, the new technique I started out with has become quite familiar and things went smooth and fast.  Big thumbs-up there.

I also see I need more paint-brushes of any given size so I don't encounter "brush fatigue" as often. 

So, depending on how quickly the sealer dries, the lads will be heading to their new home shortly and get put straight to work!

Ok, back into production...

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2009, 01:16:01 AM »
Ok Doc,

I'm going to be finishing off the last sets in preparation.

All the best,

Jules

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Fantastic! What a great video. Very informative and we really appreciate the shout out to the Yards Jules. I don't know what we did to get in your good graces, but your support is so much appreciated. Awesome video, man I love those sets. I wondered what type of camera you used too.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »
great video.
hard to believe the pieces that make up each shot, and what goes into each background. makes my head hurt...
and thank you for the pre-wordbubble pics. just breath taking.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 08:02:16 AM »
The first fig is D.O.N.E. barring any strange surprises.  The head went to the paint-rack about 2am for a sealing coat.  Head #2 will be finished up after breakfast (which is late, since I went to bed late) and sealed.  The arms and legs got assembled last night - I believe the arms need *minor* touchups and resealing, which will be done alongside the head.  The saber hook and hanger turned out quite nice - can't wait to see how it looks on the assembled figure.

I'll have a pic of Fig#1 posted in my Gallery after breakfast.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
Fantastic! What a great video. Very informative and we really appreciate the shout out to the Yards Jules. I don't know what we did to get in your good graces, but your support is so much appreciated. Awesome video, man I love those sets. I wondered what type of camera you used too.

ADMIN, I think WraithNine summed it up on his video, you guys are really great, this site has a tight little community and you guys always comment on my posts. Without such support I really wouldn't be doing this stuff so I'm just showing my appreciation.

You guys do a fantastic job in providing us sad old Star Wars geeks with a wonderful place to hang out.