Author Topic: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...  (Read 52354 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2020, 02:38:43 AM »
Haven't heard anything from Uncle Milton's customer service, yet. Fingers crossed that my message got through. In worst case they have a firewall like Hasbro that automatically blocks anything from offshore.

Meanwhile JDeck made huge progress on his Galgreeba Spaceport. Take a look at what he made using these gum tape containers here.

I hadn't have gum tape since elementary school, but 19 years later I'm chewing it as I'm writing this. I checked back the offers on Amazon. Even an entire case of these were at 1.30€ each. So I decided to back to a local dollar store and bought 3 of them for 1.10€ each. Everything WAS 1€ at the store. Now it's 1.10€ for each item and this 10% increase feels more like a scam than a problem caused by the pandemic - especially because the government lowered the sales tax by 3% to 16% temporarily here in Germany.

Big shout out to JDeck!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »
Awesome. I can't wait to see what you make with yours!

By the way folks here is an Amazon link to those tape containers here:

https://amzn.to/2QLc5d4

I need to take this reference to the front pages too. Thanks for reminding me Philipp. That reminds me of another thing too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:30:01 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »
  I finally got my Xcavations series 1. It was held up in DC for a week, but I realize that it's basically a box of sand, so it's pretty hefty. Anyway I got 7, plus a loose Hutt skull. I emptied all of them and ended up with, 2 Rodians, 2 Zabrak, 2 Monkey Lizards 1 Trandoshan, so I'm missing the Gamorean Guard, the one I wanted the most, besides the Hutt. Speaking of the Hutt, I would say he's closer to 1/12 than 1/18, but it's pretty close.

The boxes are what I bought them for so, let's talk about them. They have a similar design to the Jedha Tarkin initiative Kyber containers, but tall instead of long. The only drawback is the Star Wars lable on the top, but what can you do? It is what it invariably is. Otherwise they will make cool imperial crates.
  Thank you Darth More for the great tip!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:08:48 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »
I did a quick paint job on the seventh crate, as I'll probably only use six. I didn't use primer. Always use primer kids. I used some weird satin orange spray paint I got from Michael's, it doesn't even smell like spray paint. It sucks, but I don't care. Then I did a black wash. It looks good 20/20, 20 feet away or going 20 mph.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:49:29 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »
Tamer: Thanks for adding the link! $1 each is definitely worth the gum plus the cool packaging! I'll use mine for generators on Mos Eisley, Jabba's palace and a Mando diorama. I could well see one in the garage of the Lars' homestead, too!

JDeck: So glad your package showed up at the end. Was going to comment on that issue yesterday. I'm glad I didn't having kept my fingers crossed. Do you think there are some national security checks, too? I'm pretty sure the TSA would take a closer look at those at the airport.
Bummer that the Gamorrean Guard wasn't among them. the collectors hutt mentions the different codes for each of the skulls in his review. That's why I embedded his video in my post on Page 8. I'm sure you'll find the missing crate out there in the wild for 75 cents or so. Still a bad surprise that a  full case does not contain the full set of 6 though.

I was looking for those here in Germany - online and in stores and found no evidence at all that they've been available here. I could use all parts of these crates. And I would just - beware word twist - sand down the Star Wars logo on each of them and replace it with a decal of the Imperial emblem instead.
Yeah, I always put a layer of primer on them. Still your crates look awesome! The shade of orange looks spot on, you captured all small details and the weathering looks just like in the movie!
I'm glad I was not the only one who wasn't aware of those. Thanks to the YouTube algorithm.

If Uncle Milton will respond to my e-mail? Meanwhile I doubt it, but would be happily surprised...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2020, 02:57:40 AM »
These new crates look great JDeck. Time to go share that.

Folks are loving the bubble tape link I put on our FB Page yesterday. Some folks have already started work on generators because of it. I love all this pay it forward stuff. You guys are inspiring folks to do this themselves!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:39 AM »
Good. We definitely need a like button here, too! lol I'm serious.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2020, 04:21:13 AM »
They look awesome JD.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »
Tamer: Thanks for adding the link! $1 each is definitely worth the gum plus the cool packaging! I'll use mine for generators on Mos Eisley, Jabba's palace and a Mando diorama. I could well see one in the garage of the Lars' homestead, too!

JDeck: So glad your package showed up at the end. Was going to comment on that issue yesterday. I'm glad I didn't having kept my fingers crossed. Do you think there are some national security checks, too? I'm pretty sure the TSA would take a closer look at those at the airport.
Bummer that the Gamorrean Guard wasn't among them. the collectors hutt mentions the different codes for each of the skulls in his review. That's why I embedded his video in my post on Page 8. I'm sure you'll find the missing crate out there in the wild for 75 cents or so. Still a bad surprise that a  full case does not contain the full set of 6 though.

I was looking for those here in Germany - online and in stores and found no evidence at all that they've been available here. I could use all parts of these crates. And I would just - beware word twist - sand down the Star Wars logo on each of them and replace it with a decal of the Imperial emblem instead.
Yeah, I always put a layer of primer on them. Still your crates look awesome! The shade of orange looks spot on, you captured all small details and the weathering looks just like in the movie!
I'm glad I was not the only one who wasn't aware of those. Thanks to the YouTube algorithm.

If Uncle Milton will respond to my e-mail? Meanwhile I doubt it, but would be happily surprised...

I have a feeling Uncle Milton is no more. These things are hard to find now. They're at least a few years removed, with no signs of life. I got mine on eBay. Payed roughly $4 each with shipping.

These new crates look great JDeck. Time to go share that.

Folks are loving the bubble tape link I put on our FB Page yesterday. Some folks have already started work on generators because of it. I love all this pay it forward stuff. You guys are inspiring folks to do this themselves!

Thank you. That paint I used is weird. You know what it smells like? Hairspray. I bet it uses the same propellant as hairspray, which actually might work with XPS Foam, because normal spray paint uses acetone which melts foam. I read what I could of the can, and evidently it's for flower arrangements. So I guess it is good for foam. Not so great for plastic. It's good enough. That was the only flat orange I could find in all the land.

That's cool people are inspired, that's what this is all about. The sharing of ideas.

They look awesome JD.

Ron

Thank you! For being a gimmicky thing, it's actually pretty cool. I think someone with good detailing skills can make it really cool. These will be background fodder for my spaceport.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:18:43 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
  I pretty much finished the weathering on the crates. Painted up the last three, and black washed them. I have some Tarkin initiative decals coming. They are black so I don't need to re weather, but I dunno I kind of like it the way it is. I will probably set it up just like this in the background. Set up the assault tank in front, that might be cool.  Honestly I could use six more lol.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:27:00 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2020, 02:40:36 AM »
Again, your containers look spot on compared to Hasbro's! That's why I need to look for some paints when I come back to the U.S. - colors and shades vary quite a lot here in Germany/Europe. That's why I have trouble mixing the perfect shade of orange, blue or yellow for al the Clone Trooper Legions. A little consolation here is that Hasbro and LEGO struggle as well. The 212th Attack Battalion alone has some different shades looking at TSC Cody, TSC Troopers and TAC Airbornes. I think they captures it best on their TLC Cody.

Anyhew - amazing paintwork here, JD! The decals will add even more spice on some of them. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2020, 03:07:42 AM »
Daggone those are nice JDeck! So envious of your crate supply. They work so well with all the others too. You have got to be pleased with how they turned out even if you did have to pay for sand shipping. LOL.

Off to the front pages.

If you get a chance could you shoot me a link for how you found these on eBay or amazon or wherever you ordered them?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2020, 03:26:02 AM »
I found a good link for those Uncle Milton Crates folks!

Click this link to see the options for Uncle Milton Xcavations Skull Crates

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2020, 03:28:36 AM »
Thanks for the link, Tamer!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2020, 03:30:35 AM »
Thanks for the link, Tamer!

Yepper, looks like lots of options.