Author Topic: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...  (Read 52086 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Thanks Tamer! I might go back and get one of those stone effect paints just to see how it looks. But to me it looked like stuff I already have with a different label in the first moment.
I'm quite happy about the red blades for a penny each - have been planning to make custom lightsaber for quite some time so let's see how that turns out.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thank you Tamer! Saw that hovering bed custom for The Child on our Facebook page. So I look at those eggs differently, now! lol They're quite cheap actually and would fit the Black Series version, too:

STAR WARS did become a clearance brand - also here in Germany:

And some more artificial plants:

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
If you're looking for 3D printed custom parts, LegacyArts got you covered!
Here's a prime example of what you can do and what the near future holds for us when Hasbro leaves us desperate:

Jens sent me these parts for 40€ a couple weeks ago. Didn't get share the pics earlier.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
How do they sell these parts. Do they have an eBay store or links?

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
The small bon-bons Philipp sent me last week have very interesting boxes looking like 1/10 barrel or something, once you remove the plastic covering. They could even be ok for larger dios
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
How do they sell these parts. Do they have an eBay store or links?

He hasn't told me which link to share on here, yet. He also has a webiste, but you can contact him best on Facebook. Follow the link above or look for "Legacy Arts" there.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010653160937

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
The small bon-bons Philipp sent me last week have very interesting boxes looking like 1/10 barrel or something, once you remove the plastic covering. They could even be ok for larger dios

I'm so glad, the package made it to you! Had thought it got lost on its way...I knew you could use those candy tins for some scale barrels  ;)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
I've been watching YouTube videos on people making Warhammer dioramas, though it's much smaller than 1/18 scale, the principles are still there. One guy suggested getting these Aquarium undergravel filter boxes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWJYQ9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Da0hFbDWKGG0M

They come in a 32 pack plus a tube for $28. They would work great for industrial/ military/ship  flooring, or catwalks.  They interlock, but if making a catwalk I would suggest reinforcing the bottom, they're a little flimsy, but if you're just setting them on the bottom of the Diorama, they'll be fine. They are 2.8"x 5.5", so 32 would be over 14 linear feet, plenty for a large surface. Actually I think these work better for 1/18 than gaming scale.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:28:32 AM by Tamer »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Wow, thank you so much for sharing this, JD! Such a brilliant idea! New ideas come to mind immediately while looking at your pictures! No 3D printer could make these parts cheaper than this offer - at least to date...

Add: Just ordered 20 pcs for 9.72€ on Amazon.de - they should be here by August 30 - Septemper 14...I'll share my samples here, too. Thanks again for this great tip!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:33:42 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I can see people making carbon freeze chambers out of this too. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Off to share on the front page.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Makes cool fencing too.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
The more ideas I read from you guys, the more excited I am about these parts! Carbon Freezing Chamber, fences, bridges - this is just awesome material to use!  I can also see RC-1136 use these parts for his recent military project.
Again, thank you so much for making us aware of this cool idea, JD!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Glad you can find use for it. Like I said it's not my idea, I just got it from a YouTube video. I've been trying to find grating like that for a long time.

I got another tabletop gaming staple today, that will work great for 3.75. Tube blocks. They're plastic tubes made for toddlers. You can connect them and make plumbing, apparently kids like it. They have a few different connectors, straight, elbow, X, and T, along with horns and wheels. The set I got is 136 pcs for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725ZLZP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_75hiFbRMS2E35
Painted up they would be really cool in a Star Wars Dio or an industrial scene.  I was playing with them and the only problem is, the straight pipes have male and female connectors, and sometimes I can't get them to connect the way I'd like. I could always cut the female end off the straight pipe, or use PVC pipe.  The Outside diameter of the male ends are 2 cm, (metric of course) so it'll be difficult to find a .787" pipe, but I'm sure 3/4" pipe will work.   I'll make something with them soon to give an example.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:09:38 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Wow, that looks great too. You are finding all kinds of great new things. Let me get this off to the front pages too.

Thanks for sharing the neat things you find. Man, that floor grating makes great walls too.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Thanks for the tips - I just ordered a set of the grates:)