Author Topic: New to customizing - Thinking I made an early error  (Read 2644 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: New to customizing - Thinking I made an early error
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
I agree, not bad. I see the clumping you were refering to and thinning the paint a bit will help. When I am doing armor, vehicles, astromechs or equipment I thin with a squirt of windex. It provides a sheen and seems to harden the paint a bit better.

That's something I need to try for painting some Clones I have coming up...

Offline XRFIWR

• Ensign
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
Okay, I have a Krylon Fusion follow up question for any that use this as the starting point after a good cleaning.  Do you spray the entire figure with the clear Krylon or start with a white base coat and then repaint the entire figure from scratch?

I ask because I don't think I'm skilled enough to do a full detailed repaint, but in can only find one store anywhere near me that carries the clear and they've been sold out since I started this thread.  I feel like I'm all excited to get started, but I'm on hold at stage one.
XRFIWR

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »
Nice, looks cool, welcome to the yards man!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
I've been known to start with a white, gray, or black basecoat and paint up from there - haven't used clear to start with yet.  If you are concerned about your painting skills, buy up a bunch of the old POTF "superhero-pose" figs on ebay for 99-cents a pop and practice on them til you like what you see.

Also, you don't *have* to start with the rattlecan.  Just wash the fig down real good with a grease-cutting dish-liquid and let it dry *thoroughly* before you start tweaking on paint jobs.