Author Topic: Gunship that transports the AT-TE  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
Gunship that transports the AT-TE
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »
Hello everyone, I recently won a fixer upper gunship on eBay and I have been thinking about modifying it when it arrives in the mail to be the type of gunship that carries the AT-TE into battle.  I need pictures and any info on this type of gunship.  If anyone can email me pictures showing the different views and details and any info they have on this type of ship I would greatly appreciate it. Pictures showing it carrying the AT-TE would be appreciated also.  Here is my email;  kenneth.varney@yahoo.com
Thanks for any help
Ken

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Gunship that transports the AT-TE
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:25 AM »
As I recall, and who knows what that will get you, our Clonehead started a reference thread for this very ship I believe in our reference thread. I know he did somewhere.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:01:42 AM »
I believe I threw up some shots in the reference pics thread. I'll put up a link when I turn on the computer.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:28:32 AM »
And here is the link. You wern't too far from it, swamp fox. there are about three shots on that page.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=497.0

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »
And here is the link. You wern't too far from it, swamp fox. there are about three shots on that page.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=497.0

Thanks Clint, it's apreciated.  This is enough to get me started.  If anyone else has or knows of any other pic's please post them or email me please.
Ken

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
I would also recommend an ebay search for completed listings. I remember seeing one full vehichle sized version of this even before the atte came out and it was sweet. It went for over a thousand dollars as I recall, but was phenomenal.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »
Comon Tamer, that sounds like a wild story to me. And you didn't snag a pic??

Your welcome, SwampFox.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »
No, I didn't but remember it being sweet. I am pretty sure it was a three and three quarter version too. The auction was for the dropship LAAT and the ATTE. I will try to find some time to do a search and see if I can find it. It was phenomenal and I do remember seeing it. No wives tale that one!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »

Offline Swamp Fox

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:54:47 PM »
All the pictures are going to be very helpful.  I was thinking of using the arms that hold the sliding armor/doors and then attach something to them going downwards to then attach to the AT-TE.  Whats that circular part that attaches to the AT-TE in the pic's?  Is it supposed to be magnetic or ?  There is not any close ups in the photo's and I am not to familiar with this type of gunship. 

Anybody have any suggestions what they would use?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
That reminds me of an ATAT foot. I suppose that a couple of different sized bottle caps joined together could make a shape that's pretty close to the round parts.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:19:35 AM »
I am gonna watch aotc over the holidays and see if I can get some movie shots of this in here. I would love to see someone here build one of these.

I agree with Clint, for that clamp, if you just cut the toes off an AT-AT foot I think you would have what you need for the most part. How does an ATAT foot compare with an ATTE one? It looks to me that the picture here shows it being quite a bit bigger.  

Here is how Lego did it:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:31:30 AM by Tamer »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
hmm.... i'll be watching this thread closely.  I have an old LAAT/c action fleet model I started a while back that I never finished because I couldn't figure out the clamp mechanism..

someone mentioned magnets... I think... that might be a good way to gaurentee a secure conection between the dropship clamps and the atte. if you get some industrial strength neodinium magnets you MIGHT be able to get it to pick up the heavy atte... but you'd need to structurally reinforce the clamp  so that it is physically holding onto it as well as just magnetically. 

I would make some kind of "toungue and groove" apparatus on the clamp so that it fits into and around the "hip" joint on the middle leg of the ATTE

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
You are also going to need to lengthen the LAAT by a few inches to make up for the size of the ATTE. I'm not sure mags will be the solution for holding it in place. The ATTE is extremely heavy and you'd end up adding a LOT of weight to the entire vehicle with mags large enough to hold it. I would recommend an under belly harness in addition to the side clamps that could fit over the middle legs.

I'm also not sure if ATOC has any reference shots of any use of this in it.. You may have a better chance catching the opening season 2 episode of Clone Wars. They land a bunch of ATTE's via LAAT in that one. You can watch the videos on cartoon network or maybe catch a repeat in HD on cartoon network..

I personal would love to tackle this, but I don't have an extra gunship to cut up :P

I'll be following this with great interest!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
they had the Landing at Point Rain episode of the CW season2 show on starwars.com...
 and there were a few pics from the making of the episode available there as well....
but i think the best way to plan this would be researching the lego versions a bit, then try to apply that to the 3 3/4  ships available....
some kind of modded atte or atat feet masking a push on locking fastener or two with a push button release (on top and sides) may work for the connection to the carried vehicle.... like a push button release ball joint/nub... just big enough to hold, yet small enough to be slightly visible and not look out of place...
the biggest problem would be the lengthening and strengthening of the laat and the wings to keep it looking proportional enough...
I never picked up the atte, but i got a few atap's and thought of modding a gunship to carry one of them....
the stock gunship would be about proportionate for this with out much modding and could be returned to original troop carrier configuration easily enough with a clip system
didnt get further than ideas though.