Author Topic: XTS_Operative Battle Diorama Update!!!! 10/21/2013  (Read 16720 times)

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
Re: XTS_Operative New Diorama COMPLETE!!!! 10/11/2012
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
Here's my latest diorama completed. Hope you enjoy. O0

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: XTS_Operative New Diorama in Progress 09/30/2012!!!!
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »
Great looking diorama! Great piece for displaying figures that is for sure!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
Looks awesome. Time to go get this on the fp.

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks so much guys! And thanks for the recognition on the front page Tamer!!!!

Now I need your guys opinion...

Initially, I built this diorama to be given away as a prize for a trivia/scavenger hunt in my home (I am hosting the Kentucky Star Wars Collectors Club meeting in November) as a way to say thanks to the club for the award that I won for my Coruscant diorama…I now feel guilty for even saying this but part of me wants to keep it. ? I haven’t committed, or even mentioned that I intend to give this away. It’s completely of my own volition. 

I guess my only reservation is that I want the person who wins it (if people would even be interested) to want it for the sake of wanting it, not because they intend to re-sell it on Ebay. I guess theoretically if someone sold it on Ebay it would eventually end up in the hands of someone who wanted it anyway, but I think there is still that level of disconnect. Think of it as giving up your baby for adoption…this is one of my babies. That’s why I thought a trivia/scavenger hunt game would be appropriate, rather than a raffle drawing. That way I know the probability of it landing in someone’s hands who really wants it, is good, whereas anybody can pony up a dollar for a raffle ticket. I wouldn’t be so vexed about this, if I didn’t have 2 ½ weeks of work, and approximately $90 in materials invested (don’t worry, those materials can still be used on many other projects, so it’s not like this thing really cost $90, but still…). Not to be dramatic, but I’ve even considered that this might even be considered heirloom quality, but I don’t have kids so who am I going to give it to?

So my questions are:

Do you think people would be interested in winning this? (the target audience will be a bunch of Star Wars, toy loving geeks like myself).

Should I even give it away in the first place?

Give it to a close friend who I know will appreciate it?

Comments or ideas?

THANK YOU!!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:51:03 AM by XTS_Operative »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Mate the dio came out great, the textures are perfect and the way you have it lit up just looks amazing well done.

As for your question/s

It is always a hard thing to give away one of your customs be it a figure or a dio because of all the work that has gone into it. But I can honestly vouch that if you give this away to a person that is at the trivia/scavenger hunt that they will really appreciate it.

I have done a few indy comps over the years and given away my customs and dios as prizes and have never worried about them getting broken or destroyed as the people that win them you will know that they will look after them just like you have.

And by the off chance that they sell an item of your on ebay and someone buys it least then again you'll know it will go to someone that wants it.

Ron
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:41:00 AM by hemble »

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
Really great work on this dio! I would love to own that thing, so Im sure if you have Star Wars toy collectors comming over to your house they will freak out over it.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Shiitake Mushrooms! That is great work.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
that is an awesome dio I too would love to own that!!! I know that  feeling of being torn , what should i do etc. I don't think i am gonna be of help to your question lol But i agree if you have star wars collectors they will really like and appreciate this awesome piece of work  great job!!!! 

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
@hemble, Yakface, and mr.jedi1977 Thanks Guys! That means a lot, and thanks for the advice. I feel better about moving forward with my original plan to give it away, and that's what I'm going to do. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone who has given away their customs before.

@Mungo Baobab LOL. Danke Shiitake! (thanks!)  ;D

See ya around!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »
You could always just give it to me and problem solved! :D

All joking aside, I think you are getting some great advice from the folks here and there really isn't anything I can add. I think anyone who would sell this on ebay sure doesn't need to have it anyway and the ebay person who bid on it would cherish it like it should be.

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »
Aa really great piece........My rotj figures need a nice new home like this heh ;)

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
Thanks!

Here is just some more photography of the whole thing loaded with figures...

This one almost looks like Jabba's palace... ;)

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
Re: XTS_Operative New Acquisitions and Diorama plans 11/17/2012!!!!
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the great advice on the Diorama giveaway/scavenger hunt. It went off without a hitch! A member of the collectors club is now proudly displaying the Jabba diorama on his wall. I'm glad that it worked out.

And giving seems to reap its own rewards. Members of the club have now begun showering me with random gifts, such as old tie fighter vehicles, X-wings, interesting bits of junk, and now THIS!

I thought this gun was SO COOL! The nice dude who gave it to me has encouraged me to make a diorama from it. I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I love it. He suggested making it part of a hangar bay display. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a ship mounted turbolaser battery. Not sure yet, but I want to make it interesting.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: XTS_Operative New Acquisitions and diorama plans!!!!
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2012, 04:43:13 AM »
Glad everything went well and giving your work is an awesome thing, very gratifying. On to this gun, My son has it in his collection of 12" Joes. It is an awesome piece and I hoped to get my hands on my son's when he was done with it. No such luck he put it back in the box and archived it as well as the rest of his 12" Joes. I would love to see this thing modded with a gunner seat on the side and sticking out of bulkhead of some type. As you said off the side of a huge vehicle type setting. Such a great piece to work with!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: XTS_Operative New Acquisitions and diorama plans!!!!
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
Artillery!!!  That rascal looks totally RIGHT used with the 3.75" figs!  I can see some of the stuff I'd do to it, right off the bat - get rid of the rods/props that stick out and, as Master Sprywalker says, mod on a gunner's seat (on the right side, of course).  Look at the big emplacements on Battlefront II and give it a gunshield like those pieces have (Mygeeto and Kashyyyk maps are the ones I'm thinking of here).  Remove the ammo-chutes on top and replace them with a scratchbuilt semi-rounded piece similar to the autocannon drums used on Warhammer 40k vehicles, but BIG.

Ah, but that's what *I* would do - *you* should go forth and make it awesome in your own style!

(Spry, I can see it on a trailer-mount behind something like the cab of your crazy-cool cargo crawler, like an old M-16 quad-.50's anti-aircraft halftrack...)