Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Star Trek
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
I went and checked out the new Star Trek movie with the Wifey and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the realistic style in which this movie was shot. The visual effects were stunning but not relied on, the story was good without getting too hokey, The obligatory fight scenes were well placed and thought out, the cast was great and I enjoyed their performances so much, I can't put a finger on who was my favorite. Chris Pine did a wonderful job as Captain Kirk but didn't ruin it with Shatner's flamboyance. Zachary Quinto's version of spock was pretty much spot-on but more than hinted at Spock's repressed Human qualities. To me, the Doctor McCoy character really stood out and showed the qualities that a fan of the series would expect.

Movie run-time was a shade over 2 hrs. There were a few decent trailers in front of the movie including the new Transformers one. I'm wondering if we had a better time watching this one than we would, had we went to see Wolverine.

It's a good flick, folks. If you get a chance and you are a fan of the series' or older movies, you should give this one a look see.
  I hear that most of the cast has signed on to make two more of them and I say, "bring em on!"

Offline masterfett

• Lieutenant
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
  Movie run-time was a shade over 2 hrs. There were a few decent trailers in front of the movie including the new Transformers one. I'm wondering if we had a better time watching this one than we would, had we went to see Wolverine.
I did!
Also I agree that most of the characters were portrayed very well outside of Scotty, don't get me wrong Simon Pegg was fine doing a whole different take on the character but he just didn't seem to pull it off IMO.
I think the great thing about this movie is how it was written so that a whole new series of movies could be done without continuity problems. I like the way they went about it as if this ain't your fathers Star Trek but also not $hitting on the original.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
wait, wolverine sucked, so this was a definite better choice.

Then again, I guess if you don't read comics, wolverine was an ok action movie, just had very little to do with his comic roots, lol.

Star trek, well, I'm not a die hard fan, but having grown up around the trekkers, I gotta say, I liked it, a lot.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:29:58 PM »
I saw this last night, and I gotta say, well done!  I remember seeing some of the TV series, and the first 4 movies, but after that, I've never been a Star Trek fan at all.  However, I can't wait to buy this on Blue Ray when it comes out!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
I'd have to say big on action but it really didn't give me a kick like a certain other Sci Fi film..... ;D

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I finally saw this the other night and have to say I am not a Star Trek fan normally, I hated the early movies, but thi sone fo rme was entertaining, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:53:50 AM »
I just watched this a few days ago and must admit I liked it too. The blending of old school with new storyline and characters was pretty nice. I really like seeing Leonard Nimoy. I just kept waiting for old Kirk to pop out for a quick one liner.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:21:01 AM »
Maybe in the next one we will see Cpt. Kirk  ;D

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 05:46:27 AM »
Maybe in the next one we will see Cpt. Kirk  ;D

I kept waiting at the end for another wormhole to open up and Kirk to pop through and telling Spock to come on and to get the lead out or something like that. It would have been priceless and then Spock could have done his eyebrow quirk and the movie could have ended. I will be honest though, I didn't like the romance between Spock and Ohura. That wasn't true to the original series at all. That was about the only quirk I found though.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
Ehhh, I love my classic trek, but I love the new stuff, too.  I like how they put the reboot into the story, actually into it.

Uhura was ok, and I had to admit, spock must have had some skills at some point.

I really like that the actors are just on the cusp of being movie stars, so if budgets fail, they can always do a TV show, not like Sylar has anything else going on.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of this new movie!  I've seen it probably half a dozen times already, and can't wait to get the Blu-Ray version.  My wife said I can't buy it yet because several people felt it would be a good Christmas Gift for me...I have a bootleg, but I wanna see it in Hi-Def!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
the wifey brought me home the blue ray tonight. Got a chiefs game to watch so I don't know if I will get it in or not.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
I'm on the fence about buying the BR or not... I still have two movies unopened on the bookcase as it is :\ The wife has been sick the last few days so tonight might finally be my chance to watch TF2 in HiDef after the kids go to sleep =)

As for ST, I really liked it in the theater and I do agree that Scotty was the weakest character in the bunch. I loved the action and from what I heard in another thread somewhere Artoo makes a cameo flying by the bridge window in one of the big fights where here is lots of debris all about..

I may have to rent though =) I need to start slimming down on my movie buying.

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »
an artoo cameo, freaking nice.

Seems like firefly or BSG had a star wars cameo, but nothing is coming to mind, :(

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:01:21 AM »
Aww c'mon!  Simon Peg, A.K.A. Shawn from Shawn of the Dead was AWESOME as a slimmer, younger Scotty!  He was funny!  As I've said, I watched a few of the TV shows as a kid, and they weren't anything special to me.  I did enjoy some of the movies, most notably "The Search For Spock," but this one ALMOST has me as a Star Trek fan.  I'm definitely interested in the next one, though I haven't heard much about it.  The part with Artoo was when the Enterprise comes out of hyper warp into the decimation of the other 6 Federation ships by the Romulan attack.  Look in the lower left section of the windshield of the Enterprise.

I can't honestly say anything negative about this movie!  Now, I'm not saying it's the best movie EVER made, but it was hugely entertaining!