Author Topic: Echo_Six's customs  (Read 38231 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Echo_Six's customs
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2019, 01:14:33 AM »
I agree with Starchaser! I also got some head-swaps to share on here, soon! They're quite simple, but are still customs  ;) It's impressive how good Han looks, now - especially next to his best friend...

Awesome footage here! Thanks for sharing the good news!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:33 AM »
Oh yeah, looks much better. I like it. Off to share.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone, and thanks for the front page, Tamer.  As a minor update, I noticed Han had a noticeable right lean... The right leg was either warped or too short, so I swapped in a lower body from another VOTC I had laying around.  Now he stands more or less upright.   ;D

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
Swapped a few more Stormtrooper Han heads and updated some older customs.

The Death Star escape Han is a mild custom from years ago, using a VOTC Han with the belt & comm-link from the TVC DSE Luke.

Fitting the TVC Bespin Han neckpost was easy.  Drilled out the head with an 11/64" drill bit to deepen the hole, then lightly Dremeled it for a secure "snap" fit.

The Echo Base Han is another older custom, using a TVC Bespin Han with the arms and coat from the TVC Echo Base Han.  The EB Han uses a hard plastic torso, and the shoulders had large round discs instead of pegs.  After cracking the EB Han torso, I tapered the discs via sanding so they could be inserted in the Bespin Han shoulder holes.

A couple of notes:

Heads fitted to the VOTC body also fit the TVC carbonite Han.  Since Glassman Customs already did a spiffy repaint of the stock head a while ago, I'll skip this swap.

The stock Stormie head is a slightly loose fit on the newer AT-ST pilot body, if someone wanted to make a AT-ST disguise Han.  For me, there's so little of the face showing under the helmet that the TVC Bespin Han head (with a dab of greenstuff) works fine.

Thanks for looking!   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:30:12 PM by Echo_Six »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
Nice job. You've really invested in this new Han Stormtrooper:)

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
Emotionally and financially.   ;D  Used the extra Stormie bodies for a couple of Luke variants (Resurgence head for unhelmeted, 5 POA Jedi Knight head for helmeted), and will probably try to eBay a couple of the other bodies with some extra Luke heads to recoup some $.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2019, 02:40:31 AM »
They sure do look great. Off to share your update.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
It's great to see that the TARGET stores got sufficient stock of their latest exclusives in your area! I think you're the first one to customize all versions of Han with the new head! They all look stunning and I expect Hasbro to update all of them with the photo real technology.
I'm glad you could make the Stormtrooper bodies to some excellent army-building!

Thanks for sharing this beatiful sight with us!

- Philipp

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
The new Han head sculpt is excellent.

Ron

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 03:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.   :)

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2019, 09:09:55 PM »
I just love coming and looking g at all the beautiful customs. Your are one my inspiration in figure making.

Offline Echo_Six

• Lieutenant
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »
First is Spacer #4 from the cantina:

Mainly chosen as a way to use an extra Bane Malar head.

Torso, pelvis, legs, belt, blaster:  LC/TVC Imperial scanning technicican
Shoulders:  LC Willrow Hood
Forearms/hands:  TVC Oddball
Head:  LC Bane Malar
Alternate head:  TVC Cloud Car pilot

Body parts were stripped of any factory paint, then dyed with Hi-Tech "Gray Metallic" vinyl dye.  The neck was painted with Testors "Light ghost gray" to match the CC pilot's skullcap.  To fit Malar's helmet, I found a donor head that fit the neckpost (an unknown Luke head) and sanded it into a ball that fits snugly inside the helmet.

A note about the scanning tech's torso:  The shoulder holes are so deep that it's usually necessary to trim pegs of arms you're trying to use; otherwise, the pegs will hit and you won't be able to seat both arms.

I considered trying to hollow out the helmet, but I think I'd have to trim the back of the helmet below the silver tubing to get it to work.  That'd leave his neck and part of his head exposed.

Group shot of the boys:

Cantina dude (yellow spacer) is too self-conscious about the paint rub on his nose to remove his helmet.  Someday I'll hook him up with a head cast in flesh color.

The last two are fairly standardized recipes by now.  Thanks to the originators!

Bodhi Rook:

Torso, arms, pelvis, thighs, boots:  LC/TVC Imperial scanning technician
Shins:  KOTCS Mutt Williams
Head, vest, blaster, spool backpack (not shown):  5POA Bodhi
Hands:  TBS General Lando

Body parts were stripped, then the shoulder emblems were masked with patties of blue-tac and the forearm device was taped off.  Pieces were then dyed with Hi-Tech "Dark Gray."  I used a mix of Testors "skin tone warm tint," "skin tone tint base," "leather," and "olive drab" to approximate the head's skin tone on the hands and neck.

The legs from the LC Rebel flight crewman might work better, but I only have one spare of that guy and I keep thinking I'll eventually use him to make a Tzizvvt. 

I dislike painting hands, because they're vulnerable to damage from handling weapons, etc.  Ideally, I would've used hands from a LC Talon Karrde, which matched the head fairly well.  Unfortunately, Karrde's wrist pegs were too small.  I might've been able to fit them with teflon tape, but it would've taken a lot of passes.  (***While typing this I realized I could've superglued pegs into Karrde's hands... Wish the thought had occurred earlier!***)  Couldn't find anything suitable in my ROTLA donor pile, either.  Even thought about cutting the hands from a LC Jango Fett (rolled-up sleeves civvies version) and supergluing pegs, but his thick wrists would've required sanding to match the tech's sleeve cuffs.  As a last resort I went with painting.  Matching skin tones always gives me fits, and this time was typically horrible.  My first handful of tries dried too light, with a pallid gray result.  Eventually, I went heavy on "leather" and got a tone I could live with.  I've read that "acrylics dry darker" but that has not been my experience, especially with skin tones.  Should have sanded the casting flash from the hands, too... Another item added to my "eventually get around to" list.   ;D   

Last is the Emperor:

Body:  multipack LC Emperor
Head, hands, hood:  5POA Emperor from Emperor/Jedi Luke/ERG three-pack
Robe:  TVC Darth Sidious

Fairly basic -- Trimmed the hood from the 5POA robe with an X-acto and cleaned up the edges with sandpaper.  Cut a slit up the front of the robe, stopping near the top so the robe appears fastened by the hood's "clasp."  Trimmed the hands' wrist pegs.  That's it!

Although I can swap out the hands for the "lightning" versions, I'll build another version with the lightning and snarling face.  Just need to track down another Darth Sidious robe.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 11:35:15 PM »
These look great! I like how the silver turned out on the spacer and Bodhi turned out really well. Your dyeing technique is really pretty amazing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:26 AM »
Your spacers are fantastic! Talk about a must have group for any Cantina Dio. Great work. Off to share.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:00:28 AM by Tamer »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
Excellent Cantina Spacer collection.
Nice updates onRook and Palps too