Author Topic: Don's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 110765 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Chuckles' Custom Figures
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Yep! I agree, let's call her Hera just for fun (they can't always wear the same exact clothes, right?).

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
Almost caught up! Only a few more back-catalog customs to share!

Here's my Chachi De Maal (the other Cantina Duros character).

And here's my Doda Bodonawieedo head-upgrade.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Look good to me! The head upgrade really works well on the Rodian.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »
I had a little time after dinner, and a project needing work, so I snapped some in-process photos.

I guess it's a minor spoiler because you can see I'm working on another henchman, but really are you surprised?

First, I want to put this head on this body, but the ball on the body is WAY too small. I'm not sure where the "donor" ball came from; I found it in my fodder bin, and it fits the head. And a bonus; this donor ball has a peg and a tab cast on which will eliminate the step of drilling into the ball to install a peg.

Here you can see I cut the tab off the bottom of the peg leaving me with a ball and a peg.

Next I cut the ball off of the neck. (Note, I SAVED the cut-off ball for possible use in some unknown future project.)

Next, using my pin vise, and a drill bit that is much smaller than the planned peg, I drill a hole down into the neck. (Use a smaller bit, and work your way up; better to have a small hole that needs work than a hole thats too big.)

Could have been centered better, but it's ok because I'm going to be drilling it wider.

Here's the next bit; about the size of my peg.

Getting there!

Ok, time for a test fit.

I liked the ball-test-fit, but now that the ball is inside the head, and the head is in place I'm thinking it sits WAY too high above the shoulders.

Since the fit is too high it's time to trim off some neck.

I ended up trimming just a little, twice. Better to make small adjustments.

Here's the new test-fit (and you can see my cuttings); looks much better!

And here's the ball without the head for one last test fit.

And here, if you look close, you can see the glue. I'll leave it overnight before putting the head back on now.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:06:05 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2019, 04:17:02 AM »
An awesome update or two I see has been posted. Thanks for including the links to your products. I am gonna go get this good stuff on the front pages. Love the step by step pics. Your new henchmen is looking great.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
That first henchman was very badass. Awesome work there. Excited to see the second!
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
I'm almost caught up! Only a few more older customs to share. This one was made a couple months ago. I like to think of him as more pirate than henchman.

Pretty sure the head is Vedain or Vizam. Pretty sure the chest is the 2011 Endor Rebel Commando. I don't remember where the arms came from, but I didn't cut them; they had longer gloves that I popped off. His current gloves came from a limited-articulation Boba Fett; I cut them off the Fett arms, drilled holes into them, and mounted them on the pegs that held the previous gloves on these arms. It's a little wobbly, but I was able to retain the wrist articulation with these custom gloves. The legs are Vizam. The belt and shoulder strap is from a GI Joe figure. The blue loincloth is Boss Fight Studio. The blue bandanna is Marauder. And the softgoods wrap is some scrap from somewhere I have forgotten.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »
 ;D 😍 LOVE that guy! Sick work. Everything about it. Your Just proving with every post: This is how they should just costume design the franchise. I really mean that.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »
;D 😍 LOVE that guy! Sick work. Everything about it. Your Just proving with every post: This is how they should just costume design the franchise. I really mean that.

Thanks! Means a lot.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
These are some really fresh kit bashes. Excellent use of diverse figure parts and paint application. Those blue gauntlets really pop!
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2019, 04:11:13 AM »
You should work for Hasbro the way you put the parts together. They wouldn't need to retool for years as you could take all their existing parts, put em together and make us some brand new figs that would sell out like hotcakes. Off to share your update.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2019, 04:31:07 AM »
What (SID) said! Your designs look truly fantastic, Chuckles!

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »
Man, that Henchman is fantastic. You used just the right about of the blue to really make the design pop. Well done, sir.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
Thanks guys! I really like the blue-bandanna pirate henchman too; probably one of my favorites!

Speaking of favorites!!! This might be one of my top 3!!! You guys got to see some of the work earlier (above), and getting past that neck-joint hurdle really got me motivated to finish this guy. Here's my brand-newest custom henchman!

I used the the head and hands from Umpass Stay, the Indiana Jones 'Chief Temple Guard' figure's upper body and arms, and his belt/bandolier piece with added pouches from Marauders, the skirt from Wooof, and I don't remember where the legs came from. And I don't remember where the gunbelt came from.

That new ball joint gave him quite a range of neck articulation.

The knife and gun are both removeable.

Both sets of back pouches are from Marauder's new WWII figures.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:57:27 PM by Chuckles »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
Ugh!.... I hate that guy... Its TOO PERFECT!!!! Stop making figures I need for my collection. 😵😍  He looks like he belongs in the EP3 of Mandalorian!