Author Topic: Don's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 110839 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Chuckles' Custom Figures
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Now that is some organization. Nice!

Off to share those two great customs too.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2019, 08:40:26 PM »
Holy mackerel! That is an awesome closet - more a shrine! Would you share a picture of the inside of  one of those clear boxes to organize all the different parts and accessories?
This is such a brilliant concept!

Sure, I'll show a couple, but I did pull a few things out to avoid spoilers. ;)

This is a "main project" bin. There are a couple "main project" bins.

Droids-only "main project" bin.

This one is mainly torsos and legs.

This one is heads, hands, and arms.

Belts, hats, vests, goggles, and stuff. Bottom left corner is all Marauder bandannas and wraps.

Accessory projects and parts.

And, just for fun. Here's how I've organized henchmen accessories followed by Jedi/Sith accessories.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
I make a lot of these fan-fic henchmen figures (still a few older ones I need to shoot & share). This one is brand new, inspired by the E1 Mandolorian thugs.
I think there are parts from 7 or 8 figures here, I may come back and update with a parts-list, but I'm not even going to try tonight.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:35:24 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2019, 02:14:14 AM »
Sure, I'll show a couple, but I did pull a few things out to avoid spoilers. ;)

This is a "main project" bin. There are a couple "main project" bins.

I find pictures like these most exciting! I can imagine it doesn't even look like that at Hasbro's headquaters. I wish they spent some time thinking of kit-bashed. If they were half as good as yours I'd be more happy with them than with most of their TVC releases - so many repacks...it's tiring. I shared a video here of Hasbro's development (TBS), which you might already know:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10566.0

Wow, Chuckles. I would've been happy with one pic already, but you gave us so much awesome stuff to look at! Your collection of parts, fodder, figures & accessories is amazing - don't need to mention that. Everything so nice and organized - I think this is one reason why you can work so quickly and efficiently so that you finish a custom almost every day...this is customizing at its best!

I make a lot of these fan-fic henchmen figures (still a few older ones I need to shoot & share). This one is brand new, inspired by the E1 Mandolorian thugs.
I think there are parts from 7 or 8 figures here, I may come back and update with a parts-list, but I'm not even going to try tonight.

Now, that one looks cool! So many parts in there! I can even see HK-47's left arm there! Didn't even see that he had a robot arm in the show. Is that Bom Vimdin's torso there? Love the shoulder armor and belt buckle you chose for him, too!

It's good to see that so many people become fans of the series and get inspired by its content to make customs stuff of it on their own. Remember when we built our own TIE Fighters and X-Wings out of cardboard and paper back in the days? Or made sticks to lightsabers and buckets to helmets?
I think that's the biggest compliment one can get for a movie. And your work is inspiring to us!
Thanks for sharing & highest respect from Germany!
Have a great weekend!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:16:32 AM by Darth More »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
Good eye Darth More; that is Vimdin's chest and an HK droid arm. Thanks for the compliments, glad you liked the bins too.

Someone asked on Facebook so I wrote up the parts list. The head came from the Legacy Collection Tarados Gon figure, the right arm & hand & upper left arms are from the Vaders Secret Apprentice figure from the Force Unleashed Evolutions 3-pack (painted to match the chest and weathered), the lower left arm is from the HK-47 build a droid figure (small piece at wrist was painted grey), the chest is from the Bom Vimdin cantina figure (painted to match the arms and weathered), the belt/skirt is from the Vintage Collection AT-AT Commander (painted to match the chest and weathered), the legs and feet are from the Vintage Collection Rebel Soldier (Echo Base) (weathered), and the shoulder armor piece is from the Clone Wars Embo figure (I cut the extra tall collar off, did some touch up paint, and weathering, and glued those two disks on the back, the two disks are from the back of the Vintage Collection IG-88 figure).

And a better picture of his robot arm.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:01:59 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
That's a great Klatoonian, could totally fit in with the mercenary army. I like your previous two henchmen as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2019, 06:28:39 AM »
Wow, another great custom. Great parts on this one. I enjoyed seeing your parts organization too. Great stuff and very organized. Off to share the update on the front pages.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2019, 06:51:25 AM »
Wow ur henchmen just proves my theory that Hasbro has all the in house kit they need ALREADY make anything. Bravo. That thing is production quality.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
Thanks guys, I really like that Klatoonian henchman appreciate the feedback!

I managed to get another couple (cheap!) Vintage Imperial Guards yesterday. One is probably going to be striped for parts, but the other joins the squad to even the number at four. Shown with the original figure (left on screen) and the Kir Kanos & Carnor Jax head swaps the newest headswap uses the Jodo Kast head and was a little more work; the head didn't fit the neck ball joint so I cut off the ball and replaced it (last pic).

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
More parts from a recent local figure-fan meetup.

No reason the boys should get all the cool smuggler jobs.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2019, 12:05:18 AM »
Twi'lek smuggler looks excellent, I used the same head for a realistic Hera Syndulla.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »
Both are great updates. That Smuggler Gal is great. Love the pistol harness she has. Wish Hasbro would make that is bulk.

What glue do you use to make sure the new head ball stays put?

Off to share your update.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Twi'lek smuggler looks excellent, I used the same head for a realistic Hera Syndulla.

Love that head one of my favorite's they have ever done.

CHUCKLES This custom looks amazing.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
Now, I wish there were such figure-fan meetups around here...maybe I should start one! Neat finds there! Your female smuggler looks sharp! Nice combination of colors there!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »

I thought about doing the same. And honestly I'm fine with this custom figure as a Syndulla stand-in; it looks close enough to how she might look just before or just after the Rebels series.

Both are great updates. That Smuggler Gal is great. Love the pistol harness she has. Wish Hasbro would make that is bulk.

What glue do you use to make sure the new head ball stays put?
Off to share your update.

That would be CRAZY COOL if Hasbro sold parts of figures and/or just accessories (like Marauder Task Force does with military figures).
The glue I use is Pacer Technology (Zap) Zap-A-Gap (https://www.amazon.com/Pacer-Technology-Zap-Zap-Adhesives/dp/B00SXJJ2QI/ref=asc_df_B00SXJJ2QI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312184153387&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5650440374127107249&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029683&hvtargid=pla-326675147958&psc=1), but it's more complicated than just glue. I'll get some pictures next time I do one of these ball-joint swaps, but I'll try to explain it now. If you have a head with a hole that's too small for your ball joint usually you can just dremel the hole bigger and make it fit. If you have a head with a hole that's too big for the neck ball you have a couple options. First, I know people have used hot-glue to fill the gap, but when I've tried that I've had poor results. Second, you could use a two-part epoxy to build up the ball joint. Seems like a lot of work so I've never tried this. Third, you could replace the ball joint. To replace the ball joint first you need to find a ball joint that will fit the head you're using (best if your donor figure is the same figure the head came from 'cause you know those will fill together well, but often you can find one that will fit and take it from a crap figure). Cut off the ill-fitting ball joint on the recipient figure, set the new head on the neck and evaluate how high or low the head will sit on the neck and shoulders. You may need to cut off some of the top of the neck to mount the donor ball lower, or you may need to plan to bring some of the neck with the ball joint from the donor figure. Next using a pin vise (https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vises/b?ie=UTF8&node=2225064011) drill a small hole down into the top of the neck, then drill a matching small hole up into the bottom of the donor ball joint. Next, using a scrap plastic rod from some previous project, or using a styrene rod cut a post that will fit down into your neck, and up into the ball. Glue the post into the neck, allow the glue to set, and text fit the ball on the neck. You may want to re-evaluate the height, but definitely make sure your post is long enough to fit into the ball, but not so long that the ball won't sit flush on the neck. Then add glue to the post and the ball and mount it. The post won't be seen once your custom is assembled because it's inside the neck and ball, but having that post inside your new joint adds a lot of strength to the joint. Without the post your ball joint is likely to come off inside the head when you're trying to turn the head.Again, I'll get pics next time I make one.
And here's a link to styrene rod.https://www.megahobby.com/products/025-rod-10-evergreen.html 
Also, a note about ball donors. I NEVER throw away a ball. If I've stripped a figure and broken the torso (or if I KNOW I'll never use the torso), I'll cut off the ball (really, the whole neck and ball) and keep it for possible future use.

Love that head one of my favorite's they have ever done.

CHUCKLES This custom looks amazing.

Thanks! One of my favorite heads too. I've had the head in a "Primary Project" bin for years waiting for the right project.

Now, I wish there were such figure-fan meetups around here...maybe I should start one! Neat finds there! Your female smuggler looks sharp! Nice combination of colors there!

That local meetup is really damn cool. I feel pretty lucky to have that. It's mostly GI Joe fans, the guy who hosts is a big Joe fan. Also, when I say he "hosts" I mean that! He has access to a conference room, his wife makes lunch for everyone who shows up, and they hang out there from 10am to 7pm. I usually pop in around noon and stay for a couple hours. Mostly I just hang out talking with these guys, but there are always a few Star Wars things to find. And actually, now that I've gotten to know the guys better they'll sometimes hit me up about local SW store-finds! A few of them also do custom figures, but again; GI Joe. If anyone here is in Utah let me know and I'll get you invited!

And one last note about styrene. I'll get some pictures later, but I have made a couple lightsabers using the colored styrene rods (links below), may be worth looking into if you haven't tried it!
https://www.megahobby.com/products/1-16-blue-fluorescent-acrylic-rods-10-plastruct-supplies.html
https://www.megahobby.com/products/1-16-red-fluorescent-acrylic-rods-10-plastruct-supplies.html
https://www.megahobby.com/products/1-16-green-fluorescent-acrylic-rods-10-plastruct-supplies.html
https://www.megahobby.com/products/1-16-yellow-fluorescent-acrylic-rods-10-plastruct-supplies.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:11:35 AM by Tamer »