Author Topic: Don's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 110943 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Chuckles' Custom Figures
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 02:22:38 AM »
I'm out camping in southern Utah for Veteran's weekend, but I've got some time between mountain bike and beer to share a custom. ;)

That's so cool! The first job I wanted to do as a kid was to become a palaeontologist. My dream was to go to Utah and dig for fossils 'til I become a fossil myself! But a couple years after I thought all fossils would've been found by the time I'm with university.
I hope you had a great time in Utah! It's defintely a State to visit on my bucketlist!
Thanks for brining back all the good memories!

Thanks guys!

Here's another made using Indiana Jones parts; the legs from the skull-face guy. Also used the Vizam chest, older style Lando Skiff belt/skirt with some added pouches, pretty sure those are rebel commando arms, and the head is from Boss Fight.

EDIT: I don't really love the skin tone difference between face and hands. I may have to swap the hands for gloves, or try to paint them closer...

Thanks for your reply on the Indiana Jones Figures! I was expecting you were familiar with those already, but in case you need more fodder, these sources might be helpful.
Your customs look awesome! And the more I look at them the more parts I recognize myself. Luckily you share your recipes, too! So we don't have to be as much of a detective.  ;)
I'm not familiar with any other action figure lines. Still need to spend more time with Indy and Joe figures to see if there are more good sources for parts.
Thank you a ton for making me aware of Marauder Inc.! That's an amazing website!

The first thought that came to mind when I saw your latest custom was, well that headsculpt must be from a TRON figure. But I don't know if this "boss" (don't remember his name) exists in 1/18 scale. Second thought was: Well, he looks like a smith! Then I saw all the lances in the background...that's why I think gloves would make much sense for him if you're not happy with the difference of the skin tones.

Excellent work once again!

- Philipp

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2019, 07:20:33 AM »
pretty sure those are rebel commando arms

Those are VC Wooof arms, a great pair of arms that I've been waiting to use for something haha. The guard on the right wrist gives them away. Which torso & arms did you use for the Nov. 5th Weequay custom though? I don't think I'm familiar with those pieces. Great stuff, as always.  :)

Oh, yeah, you're right those are definitely Woof arms. Thanks for the assist.

November 5th Weequay chest is from the 2007 Vilmarh Grahrk (comic pack) figure, and the arms are from the 2012 Colonel Cracken (Falcon Crew) figure.

Links:
Grahrk - http://www.rebelscum.com/TACcomicpacks05.asp
Cracken - http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC_Cracken_Deleted.asp

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »
I'm out camping in southern Utah for Veteran's weekend, but I've got some time between mountain bike and beer to share a custom. ;)

That's so cool! The first job I wanted to do as a kid was to become a palaeontologist. My dream was to go to Utah and dig for fossils 'til I become a fossil myself! But a couple years after I thought all fossils would've been found by the time I'm with university.
I hope you had a great time in Utah! It's defintely a State to visit on my bucketlist!
Thanks for brining back all the good memories!

Thanks guys!

Here's another made using Indiana Jones parts; the legs from the skull-face guy. Also used the Vizam chest, older style Lando Skiff belt/skirt with some added pouches, pretty sure those are rebel commando arms, and the head is from Boss Fight.

EDIT: I don't really love the skin tone difference between face and hands. I may have to swap the hands for gloves, or try to paint them closer...

Thanks for your reply on the Indiana Jones Figures! I was expecting you were familiar with those already, but in case you need more fodder, these sources might be helpful.
Your customs look awesome! And the more I look at them the more parts I recognize myself. Luckily you share your recipes, too! So we don't have to be as much of a detective.  ;)
I'm not familiar with any other action figure lines. Still need to spend more time with Indy and Joe figures to see if there are more good sources for parts.
Thank you a ton for making me aware of Marauder Inc.! That's an amazing website!

The first thought that came to mind when I saw your latest custom was, well that headsculpt must be from a TRON figure. But I don't know if this "boss" (don't remember his name) exists in 1/18 scale. Second thought was: Well, he looks like a smith! Then I saw all the lances in the background...that's why I think gloves would make much sense for him if you're not happy with the difference of the skin tones.

Excellent work once again!

- Philipp

I've mostly lived in Utah, love it here. I love the desert and desert hiking, and especilly canyoneering (desert slot-canyon hiking with ropes). I'm not really much of a mountain biker, but a few army buddies like to ride Veteran's Day weekend, and I like hanging out and drinking beer with them, so I try to keep up on the bikes. If you ever make it out this way let me know I'd be happy to help you plan a fun trip. If you're into it the Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry is very cool, and I know of a few remote spots around the state where you can see fossilized dinosaur tracks out in the wild.

Thanks for the tips about Indiana Jones, I have been interested in the Head Temple Guard and Mola Ram figures for their custom potential...

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
And since I'm here I'll drop another. Here's a quick add-diversity-to-the-ranks Mandalorian repaint. I swapped out the belt, and I added the cape from the stupid 2003 Silver Boba Fett. And the new symbol on the chest is a slide-off decal from Bad Mother Customs (https://www.ebay.com/str/badmothercustoms).

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:34:51 AM by Tamer »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
And, sticking with Mandalorians (I'm SO EXCITED about tomorrow's premire), here's another I painted up. Mostly it's weathering, and I repainted the wrist armor and backpack to match (pretty sure that's not his original backpack).
And I made a new gun using an older BBI grenade launcher (with a custom stock) and a piece from a Jabba Barge canon (the one that came with Leia, not the one that came with the barge).

For now he still has the original Hasbro head under the mask, but that might still change (if I can find a good one that fits the helmet).

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:23:06 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
Wow, very nice on both fronts. Off to the front pages.

Thanks for that link to bad mother customs too. Neat name.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »
Wow, very nice on both fronts. Off to the front pages.

Thanks for that link to bad mother customs too. Neat name.

Bad Mother is RAD. They have great SW and Joe stickers, and they're really responsive (facebook) if you have an idea for a sticker they can probably make it for you. Eventually I'll share pics of some modern military customs I've done...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:12:12 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
Chuckles, there's some really good customs in this last set. I like the topknot on the Weequay - that was a really good call.  I thought the cape was the only good part of the silver Boba Fett, so good eye for a paint job that makes sense on a Mando. I like that grenade launcher. Really nice work on these guys.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Thanks Starchaser! Top-knot Weequay really is one of my favorites.

Big update tonight.
These next few don't really count as customs; its more just me playing with my toys, but I wanted more from troopers so here are some easy headswaps.

Oldest first. I put a POTF2 Death Star Trooper (the one with the really crappy leg pose) on an Imperial Officer body. (Imp officer also in the photo for reference.)

EDIT: I found the second helmet and shot a new pic to show that I actually made two of these.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:07:14 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
Rebels next. The original figure is on the left side of each photo.

The new head is from a Death Star Trooper.

I don't remember where this new head came from. A pilot maybe?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:34:42 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
A few more Imperials.

This is a GI Joe head.

Here's the modern DST (again the original figure is on the left side of your screen). I don't remember where this new head came from either. GI Joe maybe?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:28:10 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2019, 05:07:49 PM »
Not quite as simple as a headswap, but pretty easy rebel officers.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:35:52 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
Back to easy headswaps. These are the comic two-pack Kir Kanos & Carnor Jax heads on the newer Vintage Collection Royal Guard bodies (with an original Vintage Collection Royal Guard in the pic, again he's on the left).

Hats fit fine.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:28:55 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
These were actually a lot more work than a headswap. This was pre-build-a-droid astromech headswapping, which meant I had to crack open the bodies, swap the heads, and glue them back together. I lost the interior sensor articulation on the new R5 so I just glued in a greeble. Neck and leg articulation works great though. If you look close there is a little paint on the R5. And the R2 got a new color eye piece.
(Original droids are left and right sides of the screen, in the background.)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:29:57 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
Last for best (my opinion). I wanted a third Dressellian so I painted a lighter skin tone on Major Panno.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:36:54 PM by Chuckles »