Author Topic: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com [YEAR ONE w/END OF YEAR VIDEO]  (Read 64963 times)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com

Darth Daddy here,

Just started a new Star Wars customizing blog for my 6 year old and wanted to share the blog with a forum full of Star Wars customizing fans.

Our new blog will showcase the customs we've made so far and some customs made by other artists that we picked up along the way. We'll try and provide you with some links to these talented artists in case you want to get some of their customs for your own and I will give you some tips on customizing for those of you who are just starting out. I only just started customizing so don't expect much, but I hope our presentation makes up for the lack of experience.

Here's the link: http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/

Below are some customs you can find on the site (newest to oldest):

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:27:21 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »
Yes! You made the jump! Glad to see you here along with your customs. I love the 2 new bounty hunters! Those IM figures make for great fodder. Please everyone follow the link to the blog as it is a lot of fun and you will see a few things never seen here. I will be making my own "Goliath" that is for sure! I love that thing! Also take a look at the front page story about submiting your figures for the ISY video Wraithnine will be making. Welcome to the Yards!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »
Oh yea, I forgot to ask, do you have a blue light shining on the first figure or did you paint a bit of blue in spots to look like a reflection?

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
I love your stuff!!

I have seen your blog and I follow it!!!

Great work!!!

I do customs with my son also!!!

He diggs up figures for me from his collection and I repaint them!!

he tells me what he wants and I try to come as close as I can to do it!!!

Keep up the great work!!

Rich

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
welcome to the yards!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »
Great customs. That Senate Commando looks like Burt Reynolds.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot to ask, do you have a blue light shining on the first figure or did you paint a bit of blue in spots to look like a reflection?

No blue light or additional paint was used.  I just used the soft flash from my camera and some overhead lighting.   The blue tones that came out definitely enhanced the look of the figure though.

I did a slight redesign on the site today and it now has links to other Star Wars sites and image links to supplemental pages in the blog.  Hopefully it makes navigation easier.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.  I love the new hobby my son and I started.  It's a great activity to share together.  Look forward to seeing you at our future posts.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »
Darth Daddy. Great name!

I like the look of the customs you have posted. You can't beat a Degobah scene and that astromech looks great. Welcome to the Shipyards!

I will have to give your site a look. I love the idea of the family activity though.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Camera flash you say? Well you are good with the camera because it doesn't look like a flash was used in that pic. Well done!

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »
really nice customs man and welcome to the yards!!!

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »
Great looking customs, I just finished a cad last week..ha,ha.....off to check out your blog..... My kids think i'm a nerd....those darn teens are so cool nowadays....HA!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:45 AM »
just added me to your follower on the blog and dropped a PM.
I love what your are doing, great looking and clever customs. Cant wait to see more ;)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 04:58:31 AM »
Hi Art,

Thanks for the positive feedback, although I can't take credit for the Juno Eclipse.  The Juno was made by Insidious Customs and was just featured in our Customizer's Spotlight, but we are at least fortunate to have it in our personal collection.  Any figure that is featured in a post titled Customizer's Spotlight is always the creation of another customizer, but it is always a custom from our personal collection.  Thanks for the compliments on my android assassin.  That action figure was made by me.  I have only been customizing since July so it feels good when I get someone has something nice to say. 

I'm down for collaborations, but where do you live?  It could be hard to meet up if the distance is great.  I never did any action figures for Ysanne Isard, but I'm anxiously awaiting the Hasbro version when Entertainment Earth mails her out.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:46 AM »
hi Darth Daddy,

thank you for your kind and fast reply!
I 'll have to ask Insidious Customs then if I could use his Juno in some artwork, but have no contact info about him... maybe you could introduce me? that would be a great help.
EDIT: just looked at your blog carefully and boy, there is every information I need  :-[  sorry for asking first before thinking.

And for Ysanne I'll have to ask you later this year...  ;D
but first I should explain what I am exactly looking for and define "collaboration" ;)
You may have noticed that I am doing "painterly" composite arts using Hasbro action figures, model kits and photos of cosplayers.
I am mainly following my own ideas, asking customizers like you for their permission to use their build and help me by providing photo references, but I may be interesseted or inspired by customs introduced to me by its builder. So its some kind of circle with pushing and inspirating each other.

In both cases I use photographs of the "actors" or customs, deliverd by mail, or I am doing photo shootings with my own figures. So it doesnt matter in what country we live, its a matter of good photographs, exciting point-of-views, poses, light and so on. So its a collaboration of the cosplayer or customizer who supports me by sending in his photos, giving permission to use them in my own way and style and publish them in my networks.
the newest idea is - because I am mainly a traditional painter - to use action figures etc. in my personal oil paintings, and Juno and Ysanne are two personalities I would like to portrait using this technique. Its a very own way of mine and a lot of fun ;)

Art

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:46:04 AM by Art deWhill »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
I took a peek today and saw some great customs. I am glad to see you show up and add to our custom family as that is how we see this hobby too.

I also appreciate seeing the Shipyards graphic on there too, much appreciated.