Author Topic: Army-Building - Only An Adult Phenomenon?  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Army-Building - Only An Adult Phenomenon?
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:31:04 AM »
I found the YouTube channel of Spector Creative via an article on JTA. In one of his videos, he talks about army-building, something many collectors love to do if Hasbro provide enough units to buy. But is it only an adult thing? Click to watch the video to find out:

How do you build an army of action figures? Who is the customer and why buy so many of the same toy?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:38:26 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Army-Building - Only An Adult Phenomenon?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
I am guessing most of the army building is done by adults. I don't see kids having the disposable income to be able to buy in the type of quantities they would need to be labeled army builders.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 03:40:33 PM »
When I was a kid I was definitely more interested in getting a unique character missing from my collection than in getting extras of Army troops.

Although, in the later 80's and early 90's I did end up with extra Stormtroopers and Rebel troopers as neighbor kids and siblings lost interest, which worked out nicely I guess.

I doubt many kids today are building army collections like the the multi-ship & hundreds-of-troops adults are...

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »
As a kid I had 4 Stormtroopers and 2 of most other troopers (including Jawas and Tuskens).

On the G.I.Joe front, I generally had 2 of each type of Cobra trooper but also had 6 of the 1986 Vipers and B.A.T.s.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 04:07:47 AM »
Time to take this to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
   I grew up in the potf2 era, when figures were mass produced at a crazy level, and you could get them virtually at any store. That said I found it really difficult to find stormtroopers. I had the kellogs mail away han stormtrooper and later the stormtrooper luke, and that was about it. Somebody was army building. I don't care how old you are, you need more than two stormtroopers. So my collection was centered around Jabbas palace and Cantina, since I had a kenner jabba from the thrift store. I had other things, but that was my focus because I couldn't find stormtroopers, and it took quite a while to find a vader too. Yeah distribution sucks now, but at least there's the internet.  I army build now, because I can. I think under different circumstances I would have built a small army as a kid.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:48 AM »
As a kid I was more interested in getting one each of em all until the dreaded trip to the Pittsburg Zoo. Today I am more prone to getting more than one of the trooper type figures I guess. I still wouldn't call myself an army builder though.