Author Topic: Commander Kurgan's Customs  (Read 72119 times)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Commander Kurgan's Customs
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:20 AM »
impressive ...most..impressive
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
Here's a picture of tonight's test-fitting of my most recent project.
Stay tuned for the biggest badass Mandalorian ever.

Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
YAY MANDOS!  lol i love my mandos.  I've got a wip mando on the table right now, completely based on a joe character it's going to have full articulation and completely removable armor... man that reminds me I've got to see if clint has ever casted the removable jango gauntlets....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
Cool wip, Volker! I too am really partial to mando customs.

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »
Oh snap, is that shaping up to be a Kal Skirata? The Rahm Kota (I think that's who it is) head always seemed like it'd be a good skirata head... skirata's definitely one of my favorite mandos, so if it's not him you should make him next!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:32 AM »
Nope,this one is not going to be Kal'buir.
But rest assured, I'll make a Kal Skirata, too.
I might save the Rahm Kota head for him and use a younger headsculpt for my current project.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »
Good stuff, can't wait to see skirata! I've always laughed at how the one good depiction of him out there totally looks like Ed Harris.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:46:21 AM by XizorsVirago »

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
Is there a headsculpt which looks like Es Harris?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
Not in 1:18 yet.  In 1:6, yes.  I disagree with making Kal look like Ed Harris.  Totally wrong.  Too young, for one thing.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »
Too young?
Don't think so, really. I'd grey him up a bit around the temples.
Actually, I was thinking about using the headsculpt of a POTF Tarkin figure.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »
I wonder why they never made any Abyss action figures?

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
Lol, I totally tried looking for some, or Apollo 13 figs, but then I didn't find any so I kept quiet, lol. Ever since I saw that pic, I've pictured Ed Harris as Kal when I read the books, I think he would totally be a good Kal if they ever made an RC movie or whatever (which they totally should!), assuming there wouldn't be a SAG / non-SAG issue there... I really hate how the Screen Actors Guild essentially keeps actors from being in any non-SAG movie... I bet the prequel movies could have had some much better castings if any actor that wanted to could be in them. No Hayden Christiansuck necessary!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
Okay, here's the finished figure.
You will notice that not all parts made it into the final custom, but that's the way things are...

But first his background story:

Born 69 BBY, Gar Ahab was the son of A’lan Ahab and his wife Jori.

He was brought up in traditional Mandalorian fashion and worked as a mercenary and occasionally as a law enforcer throughout the galaxy. 31 BBY he was contracted by the Board of Commerce of the planet Alba-16 in the Mid Rim to protect their member companies from the organisation of the Crime Lord Spadda the Hutt.

Ahab went to work with his usual precision and ruthlessness, but was double-crossed by his employers when Spadda used huge amounts of Credits to bribe them. The situation got out of hands and peaked in a shootout during which Ahab not only killed Spadda’s favourite brother Nada and his bodyguards, but also the Chairman of the Board of Commerce. Lacking hard evidence to prove the Chairman guilty, Ahab had to leave the planet and accepted Jango Fett’s offer to work as an instructor for Commando soldiers on Kamino.

This band of Training Sergeants became known as the Cuy’val Dar (Those who no longer exist).

He proved to be a very effective instructor whose squads conducted countless successful operations during the war.

When General Arligan Zey, Director of Republic Special Forces, called for the former Cuy’val Dar to cross-train experienced Troopers for Special Operations, Ahab, now a wealthy man, answered the call and travelled to Coruscant out of a feeling of responsibility for those who he considered his boys.

Upon the cease-fire, he and most of his Commandos appeared on the casualty register as KIA during the Separatist attack on Coruscant, but rumors now have them on Mandalore hiring out as an independent mercenary unit.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
I realy like it.  I love the backstory too, always love a good backstory...

as for some details...  overall the presentation is realy nice. I love the use of the tfu rahm kota.  Better use for it than the original crappy piece that it was!  the grenade launcher is a nice touch as well. 

now I'm going to be nit-picky.  Are you going to repaint him?  Although the original colors of all the parts actually work very well together I do think you should have his armor colors deviate more from their original counterparts.  The helmet still looks too bobaesque and the backpack is too reminescent of jango (not to mention i'm not a fan of that jetpack's colors anyhow)... 

another thing I notice from these pictures is that the removable armor makes the figure look incredibly beefy in the chest and torso.  His legs look out of proportion.  I realy don't know what to suggest to fix it as that is a problem I personally have with all of hasbro's versions of jango and boba...  One possible idea is to use the majority of the figure and splice it onto a 25th gi-joe body...  But that is alot of work for a figure that is already bad-a@#!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »
Spud, I agree.
He looks very compact compared to other figures. The combination of the slip-on Jango armour and the large shoulder plates make him look like a pocket Hercules.
I'm still debating if I should repaint him or just leave him the way he is, except for the rocket pack.
As you can see, I was trying a different approach this time.