Author Topic: What Camera do you use ?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Jakarn

• Cadet
What Camera do you use ?
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:10 AM »
Really getting into this collecting and customizing, becoming my new hobby, anyway I want to start taking pictures of what I have done. I have read some of the tutorials on photography and miniature picture taking. I have done underwater photography but that was awhile ago, and miniature photography seems a lot different. None of the tutorials really tell you what camera is good they tell you what to look for but not the brand and make.

I'm looking at getting a digital camera, as I think SLRs are to expensive and a little to advanced for me. I was thinking about the  Cannon Power Shot SX20 Is, but than I read some bad reviews and the Cannon Powershot SX10 was recommended as a better buy. So I'm just a little lost at the moment.

So what camera do you use and if you could show what sort of pictures I could expect? That would help a lot to.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
Re: What Camera do you use ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
My aunt bought me a Fujifilm Finepix Z5 fd Digital Camera

It takes xD-Picture cards
6.3 MegaPixels
18.5x Zoom
And has Face Detection

(I just copied what was on the box, I don't really know if that is good or not. It works great for me though.)

Here is a picture showing the quality of it

Offline James T. Kirk

• Banned
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:42:14 AM »
By the way, welcome to the shipyards!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:21:49 AM »
I am not an expert, but I think any camera you should get as you want to do some in close shots is one with a good macro setting (has a little flower picture for most cameras) and then it is really just a matter of more megapixels means better images and one with a good flash. Flash shots can be a pain as they will add a glar to your pics so I like what Clint and Pat have done, they built light boxes for the pictures they take so they can just turn the flash off.  As always, now hard and how long does it take to get the pictures out of said camera once you have taken them. I have a cannon and it drives me nuts so I don't even use the regular software that came with it. I sure did like my HP camera for ease of software use.  Lately I would also think you would want to make sure your camera has a decent video offering too as I have done a few videos I loaded up to the web from it and the lighting on those wasn't bright enough imo. So, some food for thought when thinking about a camera.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:45 AM »
I use the same camera, the FUJIFILM Z5fd

It is a good camera I'm very pleased  with it

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
I have a Nikon D-50. It is amazing when you get to know how to use it. I bought it for taking action shots(I take a lot of Skateboard photos) but it can do about anything. I would not suggest buying one just to take pics of figures but if you are interested in photography it is a gem.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
Nokia N95 camera phone (5 megapixels)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
I use a Sony Cybershot  DSC-S750 with a High Sensitivity ISO 1250 which uses a memory stick pro duo and takes up to 7.2 Mega Pixel shots. For the shots that I take for here, I usually dial the resolution down to VGA.

Offline Jakarn

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice and and welcome. It gives me a few other cameras to look at, still haven't decided on the one I want so many choices.  I am still looking at the canon powershot SX20 or the Cannon powershot G10. What is more important with minature photography optical zoom or image quality ?

Offline customclone

• 3rd scrap burners
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
I use a Sony Cybershot  DSC-S750 with a High Sensitivity ISO 1250 which uses a memory stick pro duo and takes up to 7.2 Mega Pixel shots. For the shots that I take for here, I usually dial the resolution down to VGA.
i have the same one ... i think... :D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice and and welcome. It gives me a few other cameras to look at, still haven't decided on the one I want so many choices.  I am still looking at the canon powershot SX20 or the Cannon powershot G10. What is more important with minature photography optical zoom or image quality ?
I hardly ever use my zoom for shooting small stuff so I would say image quality. Just make sure it has a macro setting.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
I use an Olympus E410 DSLR. Bought it early 2008, because I wanted to take up photography as a hobby. Here's some examples:

And of course these: