Author Topic: TIE X-1  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Splashcoat

• Ensign
TIE X-1
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »

Here are a few pictures of my build-up of MPC’s 1/32 scale TIE X-1 Advanced Fighter (a.k.a. Darth Vader’s TIE Fighter). Much has already been written about this kit’s notorious fit problems so I won’t go into detail regarding that area. I eliminated many of the gaps resulting from poor alignment/warping of the hull halves with heavy clamping during initial glue-up and used filler on the rest of the gaps. I also needed to fill in a chunk which had been broken off of the upper edge of one of the solar panels; I simply glued in a piece of thin styrene and sanded it to blend in with the surrounding plastic.

I built the kit mostly out of the box; I just filled in the holes used to locate the conjectural landing gear and replaced the troll-like Darth Vader figure with a seat from a Jeep Cherokee kit dressed-up with bits of plastic and a few greebles from the parts box. I also scribed panel lines around the front and sides of the cockpit ball as these are totally absent from the kit molding yet clearly visible in photos of the studio model.

To make attaching the solar panels a bit easier, I drilled a small hole through the panel an into the wing support pylon underneath. After applying glue I drove a small self-tapping screw through this hole to keep the solar panels in alignment until the glue set.

The screw head is conveniently hidden under a “hub” used to detail the face of the solar panel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:29:18 AM by Splashcoat »
... but I was going to Toschi Station to pick up some power converters!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: TIE X-1
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
Fantastic! Off to the front and facebook pages. I like your base too. I display most of my collection in wooden display cabinets I built myself so love seeing other folks use real wood to display their items.

Offline Splashcoat

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
Fantastic! Off to the front and facebook pages. I like your base too. I display most of my collection in wooden display cabinets I built myself so love seeing other folks use real wood to display their items.

Thanks, Tamer. I like using wood bases whenever I can; my house is mostly trimmed in traditional-style wood so my wife finds a spaceship on a wood base slightly more acceptable  ;) It also makes it easier to sneak a new one onto the bookshelf or mantle.

Sadly, I had to change the base on the TIE X-1 shortly after I took these photos. The model was on display at my local hobby shop and they prefer display pieces to be in a covered case:

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Wow, I like that new display base a good bit. I would love to hear how you made this. Is that just cut pliexiglass? Man it looks great.

Time to take this back to the pages!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
Stunning looking piece mate.

Ron

Offline Splashcoat

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

@Tamer: I picked this case up a a craft store. It's an MDF base with a molded plexiglass top originally designed to display a football. There was a small plastic ring glued to the base to keep the football in place; I removed that and drilled holes for the three rods used to support the model.  Craft stores and sports memorabilia shops are great resources for cases.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »
It definitely worked out nicely thats for sure!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »
WOW! This is one beautiful display piece! Really nice work!

Offline Splashcoat

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words. Cheers.

Offline CareySpight

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »

Here are a few pictures of my build-up of MPC’s 1/32 scale TIE X-1 Advanced Fighter (a.k.a. Darth Vader’s TIE Fighter). Much has already been written about this kit’s notorious fit problems so I won’t go into detail regarding that area. I eliminated many of the gaps resulting from poor alignment/warping of the hull halves with heavy clamping during initial glue-up and used filler on the rest of the gaps. I also needed to fill in a chunk which had been broken off of the upper edge of one of the
solar panels; I simply glued in a piece of thin styrene and sanded it to blend in with the surrounding plastic.

I built the kit mostly out of the box; I just filled in the holes used to locate the conjectural landing gear and replaced the troll-like Darth Vader figure with a seat from a Jeep Cherokee kit dressed-up with bits of plastic and a few greebles from the parts box. I also scribed panel lines around the front and sides of the cockpit ball as these are totally absent from the kit molding yet clearly visible in photos of the studio model.

To make attaching the solar panels a bit easier, I drilled a small hole through the panel an into the wing support pylon underneath. After applying glue I drove a small self-tapping screw through this hole to keep the solar panels in alignment until the glue set.

The screw head is conveniently hidden under a “hub” used to detail the face of the solar panel.

Very very impressive design indeed..How much the project in completed? Can you share some details.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:44:17 AM by CareySpight »

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 04:10:14 AM »
Great job! Looks like a studio scale!
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback