Author Topic: My sci-fi stuff...  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: My sci-fi stuff...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:59:21 AM »
Wow, that is one nice tutorial on weathering. I am off to share!

That Viper looks fantastic.

Offline maxx-replicas

• Lieutenant
  • SCI-FI MODELING AND MORE
    • MAXX-RELICAS Sci-Fi Modeling And More
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
WOW - the weathering and paintjob is really phantastic - thanks for sharing 

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »

What this initial treatment looks like after a quick blast from the AB:

Hit it with an oil wash/rub down, allow to dry and then take some abrasives to both the red livery and the basecoat:

Individual panels were masked off and selectively weathered using Tamiya Weathering Master rust, soot, grey and green. The darker blast marks and watery looking rust are simply the weathering master applied wet. Love this stuff as it's completely water soluble (wash mistakes off!), but doesn't disappear when you blast it with varnish. I use chisel tipped nylon brushes to apply the stuff dry for panel accents and it builds up very gradually making it easier to control and judge when you're done. Beats messing around with an AB I reckon:

I added a few final scorch marks with the AB to tie things together, and a few selective panel/detail washes using dirty browns/black:
eight=407]

Quick and fun :)

Thank you so much for this tutorial.  IMO, we owe it to each other to share as many details of our techniques as we can, so that we can all improve our craft.  I have dozens of vehicles that I'd love to give a weathered look to, but I'm afraid to try without knowing what I'm doing first.

I have a couple of questions.
What is ,"the AB"?
What kind of abrasives are  you using?  Is 300 to 1500 grit sand paper good or do you recommend a paste abrasive?
Your streaks of soot and greasy drips.   How are they done?

This Viper looks great BTW.

Offline Spacemunkie

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:15 AM »
Thanks for the comments :)

Sjefke:

AB = airbrush
Abrasives - whatever is to hand, but a mixture is always good! If you want to create paint fade from gradual wear and tear, use finer grit - particularly useful on wing and panel edges. Coarser stuff is great for topical scratching, scuffs and scars. Scalpel, wire brush, Scotchbrite, Brillo - all useful. I only really use paste abrasives to cut back gloss paint where I want it hyper-shiny on car bodywork. It would work really well for doing extremely gradual fades and knocking the brightness out of colours like reds if you went at it a bit more. :)
The soot and drips were all done using wet Tamiya Weathering Master on this kit. These come packaged (and actually feel similar to) eye makeup - even down to the applicator they come with. They seem to be very slightly oily and stick more readily than pastels or dry weathering powders. They also hold up better to varnish. Apply them dry for a dusty, powdery finish, apply them wet for greasy/watery/oily and darker finish. You can get some nice effects by hitting the stuff with a fine mist of water from an airbrush after application.

Don't try to do too much to a model too quickly. Build it up in fine layers in a controlled manner and have an idea of the amount and finish you want to achieve before you start. It is mostly an additive process (you're putting paint or pigment on to the model to simulate dirt, grime and soot), but don't forget that it is also subtractive - paint, grime and muck gets scratched off or smeared in places. Go back and weather the weathering occasionally. My favourite part of painting models I have to say. Great fun and incredibly forgiving :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:19:17 AM by Spacemunkie »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »
Beautiful models and that for that tutorial! Your photography is also very impressive. In most of the shots they look too good to be models, they look real! Most impressive work.

Offline Spacemunkie

• Cadet
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:38 PM »
Thanks man!

Photography is one of my other passions :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacemunkie/

Offline Spacemunkie

• Cadet
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 01:38:35 AM »
Something a bit different. I built this for my boy's birthday as he's nuts about Batman.

This was the most difficult kit I've ever done. High shine paintwork of cars is not for me I'm afraid - requires far too much attention to detail.

Compounded when I put a coat of Tamiya black lacquer over an enamel basecoat before thinking through the consequences. Took a couple of weeks to entirely strip and reprep :(

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 03:40:07 AM »
Wow, that is one cool present. Sounds like you got into some stuff with it. Hats off for this gift. Off to share.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
Great job on my favorite Bat Mobile design! Man your photography is stunning! Thanks for sharing that, I just lost about an hour looking thru your album.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »
The BSG fighter is coming along great and what can be said for the bat mobile but AWESOME.

Ron
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:57:31 PM by hemble »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:39 AM »
Man, that bat mobile turned out sharp!