Author Topic: Unreality's small-scale Customs  (Read 9325 times)

Offline Unreality

• Cadet
    • Rebel Scale
Unreality's small-scale Customs
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
Well, I just joined the site (thanks to Tamer and SpudaFett for suggesting the site), so this will kinda act as an intro. I've been doing scale-modeling for many years, and I really enjoy doing small-scale kitbashing and scratch-building of SW vehicles. Because I collect (or collected  :-[ ) the Action Fleet line, these are my preferred canvasses. I also prefer the size, as I never got into the larger 3 3/4" figures. I have a website with my customs,  AF archives, scale lists of many different miniatures, and a techniques section. So feel free to visit and give me feedback if you can.

So, I'll start off with a custom I did about a year ago of the Sandspeeder (which is mentioned in several resources, but never depicted). I used the AF Snowspeeder, which was chopped up and mixed with random styrene bits and parts from a nice 1/35 tank. The result is an open-cockpit speeder with a removable engine and fully rotating turret.

More pictures and my version of its history here: http://www.rebelscale.com/models/star-wars/t-47-sandspeeder/

And if anyone else has a version of Sandspeeder, I'd like to see it. This is one vehicle you could take in a dozen different directions.

Cheers!

(By the way, is using the IMG tags preferred to uploading images?)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:11:58 PM by Unreality »

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
Re: Unreality's small-scale Customs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:34:34 AM »
Hi, welcome to the Yards - what funny coincidence, I just walked around your Deviantart gallery and now I am reading your welcome :)

Man, this Speeder looks wonderful, awesome intro post. Hope to see lots more of your work.
Cheers, Art

oh and BTW: I very much like your words about doing "interpretations" of things rather than historical correct models. If someone wants to do so its fine with me and its sure a big challenge, but I always have to throw my visions of things into my work, like a conducter or fim director who is creating his arrangement of notes or written words/novels.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:42:41 AM by Art deWhill »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »
First off, welcome to the Yards and thank you for sharing some of your great AF Customs. Between Spuda Fett and a guy who I am sure will post called Gold Leader One I got into the AF collecting racket with ESB vehicles too. These vehicles, imo, are so much more detailed than anything in that size I have seen (even the pretty good titanium line). Once again thats just my opinion, but I do like AF.

As far as images using the img code is pretty much the accepted method, but no one frowns on doing the additional options and then attaching the picture directly from your computer, whichever is easier for you.

Once again welcome and expect to see this on our front page soon.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:03:58 AM »
What an introduction! That is a great looking build for the sandspeeder! Really well done and I like the extra bits you added to the vehicle. The open cockpit design works very nicely and the rear rotating turret is a great touch! Very well done and welcome to the Yards!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:48 AM »
Welcome to the Shipyards! This is a very well exicuted ad custom that you have shown us and it leaves me wanting to see more of your work. Expect to see this on the site's front page if Tamer doesn't beat me to it.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:51:41 AM »
Welcome aboard, and WOW!  Such great detail on such a small scale.  Very nice, very nice indeed.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:21:41 AM »
Hello Unreality and WOW!

What a superb opening post, at first I didn't quite realise what I was looking at, when it dawned upon me what you had done I was very impressed...VERY IMPRESSED!

The speeder is perfect, the idea of an open cockpit goes really well with the concept and the model looks like something from a McQuarrie poster. What also impressed me was your paint job, and the skilful detailing, it's faultless.

Please let's have some more...

Oh and Welcome!!!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
holy .......

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
the speeder looks fantastic UR
I like the open cockpit and the additional flaps on the cannons

great job

Offline Unreality

• Cadet
    • Rebel Scale
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
Thanks guys. It's great communities like this that make sharing your work really fun.

oh and BTW: I very much like your words about doing "interpretations" of things rather than historical correct models. If someone wants to do so its fine with me and its sure a big challenge, but I always have to throw my visions of things into my work, like a conducter or fim director who is creating his arrangement of notes or written words/novels.

I couldn't agree more. I also do a lot of WWII Armor and planes, and I always get flak for not sticking with the "documented" paint scheme. But seriously, this is hobby...meant to be fun. And it's hard to cite "historical accuracies" with sci-fi anyway, so I say why not. Make a Jar Jar X-wing if ya want, just have fun. ;D

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
god-damn jar jar .....  ;)

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
Woow that speeder looks amazing man, Welcome to the yards!!

Offline artilarytrooper321

• Commander
  • take that techno-union ship down men
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
what are those figures

Offline Unreality

• Cadet
    • Rebel Scale
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
what are those figures

They are the Action Fleet Rebel Pilots that came with the Snowspeeder set. I repainted them and added what's supposed to be breath masks.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »
FINALLY... how long have I been on your case about joining up here? lol, actually I think I only mentioned it a few times, glad to see you finally made it over.  I'd thought maybe you fell out of the hobby as I hadn't seen anything new on your DA page in a while.  Glad to see your still in it!

First of, LOVE THE SPEEDER. that's awesome, the open cockpit is cooler than all out and the added gun turret is amazing. 

However, what has always taken the cake in your work are the figures.  I've only ever customized ONE AF scale figureine and it was my "animated debut boba fett"  that simple repaint of the figure kicked my butt and here you are adding features and greeblie bits to them...

Might I suggest to everyone here to check out his website and his DA page, if you think this is amazing you realy need to see his other work.

and as for you unreality you need to post some more stuff here!  Might I request a few close ups of your customized AF figures?  they are simply amazing to look at and I never tire of seeing them.

again, welcome to the yards, I know you'll fit right in.