Author Topic: Outland Station Vehicle Bay  (Read 12194 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Outland Station Vehicle Bay
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »
that is going to be tight!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
UCAV WIPPics
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
Which gets us to the current state of the machine!  The cockpit tub and plenum chamber pieces are on the paint-rack, drying .  Here's the upper hull and hatch joined together.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
Glad yer likin the looks of it, Spud!  I was really disappointed when I started peeling today.  Ideally, the rubber cement was supposed to pull away smoothly and easily from the body - and in fact did just that on the top-hatch!  However - I think letting the rubber cement sit so long was a bad plan.  I'd like to try again, only start with a body that is DRY in the first coat and start EARLY (or else work LATE - as usual) to apply the first run of RC, apply color #2, let dry enough to apply RC and apply color #3, and let dry enough to PEEL!!!  I think it would work better.

But as I peeled, chipped, cleaned, and stewed, my wife walked by and said,  "WOW!!  It might not be the camo pattern you wanted, but it's a fantastic way to make it look really weathered!"  And so it does!  But y'know... from a distance, it *is* a nice-looking camo "pattern."

Heck, I think I'll go buy another one and set it up as a civvie landspeeder with no guns, just a nice paint-job.  Maybe even working headlights...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
You telling me this is paint applied and then taped over and then pulled apart after a drying time? What a cool idea. I love the camo pattern. I can imagine one like this in a snow camo! :P

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Actually, I painted and applied rubber cement over the paint - you see masking tape where I'm trying to use it to remove the rubber cement!!!

And Blizzard Force could use one of these, couldn't they??

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »
Daggone skippy, an ole walker would look good in a snow camo job like this!  Nice work Doc.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
I really like the paint, doc. That is something you couldn't achieve with just a brush or an airbrush.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
that looks great!  I love that camo patern!

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
awesome idea.. I've seen some try this method(and I tested it out once) with liquid latex, I think that's what it was, it's been awhile, so I don't remember, but it worked pretty well, even tried it on a custom clone and Halo Spartan(boy was that hard).. I was gonna go that route on my transports to give them that extra rough battle damaged/used, been around the block look... instead of blowing $10 on the jar of the LL I got before, I might have to just try this with the rubber cement.. SWEET...

As for your ship/tank/speeder thingie.. I think it looks awesome, of course, you sound like you're not happy with the up close look of it.. would outlining some of the scraped areas with silver/chrome or black help at all? What about sanding parts where you rubbed off the paint, if it's too "lumpy" will sanding it help... Can't wait to see if finished... would love to see a new AT-ST with some camo ARF troopers painted up like this... I think that'd look bad ass.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
That is looking sweet!  I also looked at that ship to use, or at least strip for parts, but never did.  You're making it into something pretty sweet!

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
Doc, what is the base toy for this? Is it one of those Hot Wheel's combat thingy cars?

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander
  • "We're Airborne, We're Meant To Be Surrounded"
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »
I love the camo paint job. Good work

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 06:33:32 AM »
Heh - the more I look at it, the better I like it, actually.  I'm more disappointed that my idea/approach didn't come out *exactly* like I imagined.  But I mean - it's kinda hard to be too upset when I remind myself I went into it with the idea of "Let's find out how well this rubber-cement masking fluid idea works."  I went into it to learn and I learned.  I've also come up with a possibility of a better approach with the glue, so I'll try it again.  I'll prolly take it outside for natural-light pics today, as it appears to be heading for "clear and very sunny" out there.  I'll get some up-close-&-personal shots of it then.  I need to start the detail painting on it and do whatever battle-scarring I may try.

Sten, it's a $10 "The CORPS!" Wal-Mart toy hovercraft called "Beach Assault" for a cheapie line of action figures.  They've got a number of other neat-looking vehicles on the box-art and on their website that I'd LOVE to find!  Anyway, here's a pic of it that I stole from someone's Cobra-repaint thread somewhere...

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »
Very cool,  I am envisioning a squad of patrol or police type vehicles on a Couruscan city scape dio, cut off the rear turbines and redo.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »
Man this looks good. Had to put it one the FP Doc.