Author Topic: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord  (Read 22784 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
Regarding the wrist and gauntlet situation I agree with you. You may not like the look of them either now that I really think about it. It is an awesome technique for posing weaponry as you can point in any direction but when you look at the arm from the side it kind of looks like the hand is floating in mid air with a bit of gap to the wrist. This is because the lego lever is thin with a ball on the end. Hold on...I grabbed a pic for you.

Looks pretty good huh?

Offline Darklord1967

• Roberto DARKLORD Williams
  • Ensign
  • Peace, Love, Elegance, and Excellence to all!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
Yup!  those SA wristed hands are a SERIOUS piece of business!  I really wish things were otherwise regarding Custom Boba, and wrists like these.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »
absolutely amazing work my friend.  I love the follow up explanation and research. 

This is the kind of figure I'd love to have in my Fett collection.  It's purely a work of art.

The vest impresses me the most.  The fact you cut out all the individual armor pieces and glued them onto the cloth vest astouds me, it looks so good.

I personally would have probably gone with a torso that had a mid-section joint, especially since you covered most of the upper half of the figure with the flak vest.  This would have given the figure some more articulation.... of course it would have also increased the overall build and height of the figure, something you obviously are against in your comments.

It's a hard thing to try and decide between screen accuracy and articulation.  As you are seeing with the wrist joints.  If you can figure it out I highly recomend makeing them work.  That simple added point opens up so many more realistic poses it's unreal.  The ball joints shown by LS are a good idea.  I know your going for accuracy here but I used a set of Animated Clone Wars (TCW) Clone hands on one of my favorite mando customs:

They worked pretty well and were able to be recessed in far enough to look natural.  I am not sure how you would feel about the overall look of them though, they do have that armor piece on the back of the hand that you might want to remove... Personally I think it looks very similar to the white patch that boba has on the back of his hands... so I'd leave it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 05:09:40 AM »
Wow, I love the soft good portion of the armor! It would be sweet to see an entire figure done that way with the soft good under and then the armor pieces over top of that. Great idea and boy this figure is looking great.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:34 AM »
Wow, I love the soft good portion of the armor! It would be sweet to see an entire figure done that way with the soft good under and then the armor pieces over top of that. Great idea and boy this figure is looking great.

I know some guys on other forums that are doing AMAZING soft goods work for joes in the 1:18th scales.  They look much more detailed and very lifelike... the greatest thing about using soft goods for the entire figure like they are doing you can use a spindly little super articulated figure's frame underneath it to add articulation without having to pick a source figure that looks correct...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »

I know some guys on other forums that are doing AMAZING soft goods work for joes in the 1:18th scales.  They look much more detailed and very lifelike... the greatest thing about using soft goods for the entire figure like they are doing you can use a spindly little super articulated figure's frame underneath it to add articulation without having to pick a source figure that looks correct...

Well tell those guys to get on over here and stop hoarding those pics. We would love to see em! I wonder how hard it would be to do the entire soft goods on this Fett for everything not just the chest?

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 07:00:09 AM »
WOW Darklord, this is an amazing tutorial.    I couldn't stop reading!!      Love the work, and can't wait to see the completed Fett.     
This would be the Ultimate Boba in any collection!!!!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
your Boba simply rocks!! stunning work and details...  :o

Offline Darklord1967

• Ensign
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
Next Update: Sunday Night.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:34:55 AM by Darklord1967 »

Offline Darklord1967

• Ensign
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 02:49:48 AM »
GET ‘IM ON THE SHINS!!

There has always been a detail on all Boba Fett action figures that I really wish had been treated like any of his loose weapon accessories: The shin pocket tools .  I’ve honestly never really liked how the tools (and the pockets they were stored in), were always treated as a solid molded part of his lower leg sculpts.

Now when I embarked upon this project, I fully intended to include working shin pockets and separate tools details for my custom figure.  But I had no idea what I was in for.  I only partially succeeded in my effort  since it wasn’t really possible for me to create accurate versions of the tools in this scale, AND to have them all fit into working shin pockets that were not actually made of cloth.

In the end, I made a compromise between  screen accuracy and functionality that nevertheless preserved the established aesthetic of the figure.

I began by razoring out the two shin pockets that I intended to use on this figure.  Although the two pockets came from two different figures, I selected them because they were size-compatible with one another, and because they matched the main Imperial Scanning Crewman jumpsuit color.

POTJ 300th figure Boba Fett provided the left shin pocket, while Legacy Evolutions Fett provided the right one.

I carefully used my trusty razor to cut out the two solid shin pocket “blocks” into actual open pockets.  The pockets, in turn, were trimmed and glued to the figure’s shins.

As I set my sights on creating the shin tools, I attempted to utilize the sculpts that I found to be most accurate and detailed: Vintage Kenner Boba Fett.  I sliced out the portions of the tools that were sculpted to be visible on the figure’s legs, and I actually attempted to complete the un-seen portion of the tools either by scratch building, and or scratch sculpting them .  However, at this small a scale, that proved to be far more trouble than it was worth, especially since the preliminary full length tools I fashioned were far too long and would not fit into the pockets I had created.

My compromise ended up being to utilize the half shin tools sculpt from POTJ 300th Boba and SAGA I  Pit of Carkoon Fett, and scratch building just enough of the un-seen portion of the tools so that they could slip into the shin pockets.  I didn’t achieve the tiny separate tools accessories I hoped for,  BUT  at least I was able to do away with the solid molded shin pockets look which I disliked so much...  a compromise that I was reasonably satisfied with.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 03:36:30 AM »
my hat is off to you, sir!! really amazing work, so full of love for all details, like this shin tools, they work perfect.
When he is done he should be featured in some poster artwork.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:59 AM »
Again flawless execution on this great work of art! The pocket details are outstanding!

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
WOW!!

your attention to detail is amazing!!!

Great , I can't find the words!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

Rich

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »
incredible job man,the details are amazing!!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
I'm going to be a little cinical here...

The pockets, although a great idea, are kind of a waste of effort if you ask me.  It's hard to tell from the close up images but the new pockets look too bulbous and baggy as compared to the original molded on details.  To me, at that scale, having the shin tools molded on is not a problem because (as you found out) it would be almost impossible to make usable, posable, working tools to fit into the pockets and yet still be able to be held and "used" by the figure.

That being said, it is a realy coold idea, and you made something that almost full-fills the feature you wanted. And THAT is what we all strive for while customizing.

Remember, that all of this is being said by a guy who destroys two figures (sometimes more) only to be able to add one or two added points of articulation into a figure! 

I am definately still impressed with this project.  I can't wait to see the final result of all your hard work.