Imperial Creative Engineering > Graphic Fiction

PHOTO NOVELISTS LOUNGE -

(1/5) > >>

hangarbay94:
Folks, this thread is here to offer support and a place to chat and share ideas and skills -

Please feel free to ask questions, post images and links that you feel will be of benefit to other novelists here on the forum.

CloneCrazy:
What an awesome idea HB!!! This is such a great way for us to create a community of photonovelers on the yards!!!

hangarbay94:
I have a question.

This is directed a Kualan mainly. I've been trying to suss the method you use for posing figures and scenes using Jedi Academy. If at all possible can you share your method with us.

Also if anyone knows of a character creator program that doesn't take moths to figure out it would be a great help. I've been looking at Poser, does anyone have any experience with it?

HB

hangarbay94:

--- Quote from: CloneCrazy on August 21, 2013, 03:37:35 PM ---What an awesome idea HB!!! This is such a great way for us to create a community of photonovelers on the yards!!!

--- End quote ---

CC, you have really inspired me this week.

I think that by supporting one another we will enjoy our hobby even more. Also I think that it's a good idea to have a Novelists lounge area where we can share ideas etc. 

Kualan:

--- Quote from: hangarbay94 on August 21, 2013, 03:39:34 PM ---I have a question.

This is directed a Kualan mainly. I've been trying to suss the method you use for posing figures and scenes using Jedi Academy. If at all possible can you share your method with us.

Also if anyone knows of a character creator program that doesn't take moths to figure out it would be a great help. I've been looking at Poser, does anyone have any experience with it?

HB

--- End quote ---

I shall have to find time at some point to make a video tutorial of the method I use, since it can be tricky to explain. But the jist of it is that if you have Jedi Academy, then you need to download a tool for it called 'Modview' - this tool might not be available on its own, as I can only find it here, as part of a package of tools for JKA:

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/ModelingSkinning_Guide_and_Tools;18807

The tool, when opened, looks like this (I'm using random Google'd images for this):

But how did I get that model to appear? Here comes the tricky bit - getting everything in the right folders, subfolders, etc. For now I'll just give you a step-by-step on what to do, since I guess the why isn't so important. I'll save that for the video.

1. Find where you have installed Jedi Academy. C: Program Files / Lucasarts / Jedi Academy / GameData / Base is the directory we're looking for (or whatever the equivalent is in your version - the Base folder is the critical thing though).
2. Create a new folder inside Base and call it 'Models'. Then inside that folder create another one called 'players'. 
3. In order for Modview to access the models that come with the game, you will need to use WINRar to unpack the relevant .pk3 file (pk3 files work the same as .rar or .zip files, in essence, and contain all the game's data).
4. The .pk3 file you need to unpack for character models is assets1.pk3. This can be found in the Base folder. If it doesn't do so automatically, you will have to set WINRar as the default program to run that type of file (this is done by right-clicking any pk3 file, choosing Open With, then selecting WINRar as the default program).
5. With WINRar as the default program, double click on assets1.pk3. It will open a RAR window, like this (again, not a screenshot of the actual assets1.pk3, just a random RAR Google pic):

6. Yours will be filled with folders like 'effects', 'menu', etc. Ignore all those. We just need the 'models' one. Go into the 'models' folder, then 'players'.
7. There will be a long list of folders, starting with '_humanoid'. Select them all, and extract them to the 'models/players/' directory you created in Step 2.
8. Now open Modview. Click Open. Find your 'models/players' directory and open any of the folders that aren't '_humanoid'. Take 'kyle' for example. Inside will be a .glm file (it will probably be the only one ModView's Open window will show). Double click and bam! The model opens up!
9. You can now access any model in the game. You can download additional models at websites like jediknight3.filefront.com. All you need to do is, after placing their .pk3 file in the Base directory, extract their 'models/players/[CharacterFolderHere]' from inside that .pk3 to the extracted 'models/players' folder, just like you did with assets1.pk3 in step 7.
10. For tips on actually using ModView, positioning models, etc, follow this link: http://hapslash.tripod.com/jkii/modview.html

Phew! If there's anything I missed out and you get stuck on, just let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version