Poll

Who would like to have posters of New Republic and Imperial Military Rank Devices?

Imperial Officers
9 (60%)
Imperial Enlisted
4 (26.7%)
New Republic Officers
2 (13.3%)
New Republic Enlisted
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: New Republic and Imperial Rank Devices  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: New Republic and Inperial Rank Devices
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »
UPDATE: I have ran into a few snags trying to create the rank devices i.e. canon vs. non canon including the code cylinders that are carried on Imperial uniforms. I think that code cylinders SHOULD NOT be a part of the rank and file structure, but should be issued depending on the assignment of the officer. For example, an officer in command (Capitan) of a Star Destroyer would carry at least 2 Code Cylinders while another equally ranking officer (Captain) in charge or a listing station would carry at 1. Please let me know your thoughts on the Code Cylinder debate!!!! So I could finish this project!

Spookymufu

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
i think any Capt that allows his station to list should be stripped of his rank

;)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Oops my bad listening station good catch LOL

Offline Road Warrior

• IMPERIAL
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
I reckon it works like this;

Standard code cylinder contains clearance  according to rank, standing orders, personnel file/medical information, locator beacon, ect. all wrapped up in secure biometrics that are keyed to that individual(possibly keyed to a transmitter located in a single cell or nanomachine)- not supposed to work for anyone else and supposedly slice-proof. (apparently not)

Advanced code cylinder contains "eyes only" type clearance and above; emergency/contingency orders directly from Command and/or "State Secrets". This probably can NOT be hacked unless you have a tier 1 level slicer and equipment ...and time, plus I think this type of cylinder contains some kind of chemical footprint that CAN'T be masked.

(Dark side type- speculation) Advance code cylinder-high priority type contains nothing but a destruct type charge- possibly given to messengers and agents as well. Same also applies to standard code cylinder type- depending of person and command discretion.

:) ^ Sorry -it's late and I'm rambling here....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:26:43 PM by Road Warrior »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: New Republic and Imperial Rank Devices
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
WOW, it has been a long time since I updated this thread. Unfortunately things got in the way and I had to push it to the back burner on more than one occasion. For that I apologize. But right now, it's back on track and proceeding on a healthy track. Just to give you a quick preview of how the rank chart will look, I have attached a rank chart that I did for a possible remake of seaQuest DSV (YES I SAID A POSSIBLE REMAKE OF SEAQUEST DSV) OK you can pick up your jaws off the floor now LOL.

Please let me know if you like the format that this is in or if I need to re-tweak it for the Imperial enlisted and officer rank insignia chart.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:31 AM »
Cal,

Good to see you back around. I was missing your graphics. The new DSV rank chart looks great. I think its awesome they are gonna do a new one too by the way. I always liked the captain (Schnieder?) whoever the main character from Jaws was.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
top!! and the format works well I guess :)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
Well, after doing A LOT of research into the rank devices utilized by the Imperial Navy, I came to one conclusion: There is no rhyme or reason or continuity to them what-so-ever. As a result I decided to forgo canon sources and create devices that make sense. These are the ones that I plan on utilizing for the rank device chart. They are from top to bottom:

Ensign (O-1), Lieutenant Junior Grade (JG) (O-2)

Lieutenant (O-3), Lieutenant Commander (O-4)

Commander (O-5)

Captain (O-6)

Commodore (O-7)

Rear Admiral (O-8)

Admiral (O-9)

Moff Grades will be posted soon. Please let me know what you think of my attempt at continuity!

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
OOPS, sorry I forgot to add the rank device for Grand Admiral (O-10)

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
And here are the devices for Moff (Regional Governor Sector Commander) and Grand Moff (Priority Sector High Commander)

Spookymufu

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
Well, after doing A LOT of research into the rank devices utilized by the Imperial Navy, I came to one conclusion: There is no rhyme or reason or continuity to them what-so-ever.

IIRC ESB is the only movie that used a rank system, the other two just used whatever they felt.......

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »
Well, after doing A LOT of research into the rank devices utilized by the Imperial Navy, I came to one conclusion: There is no rhyme or reason or continuity to them what-so-ever.

IIRC ESB is the only movie that used a rank system, the other two just used whatever they felt.......

That is absolutely true Spooky and I know what you mean, hence Moff Jerrgerod LOL 

Offline Viper Aviator

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »
Now that my computer is back from getting a new mother board, here is an update to this project: This is what I propose for the Imperial Navy's Enlisted Rank Devices. Since none were ever shown in the movies (with the exception of Stormtrooper colored rank paldrons) this was really uncharted territory. In keeping with the Empires views on uniformity and conformity, I decided to model them after the Officers Rank Devices utilizing different colors for the "buttons" and backrounds.

From top to bottom:

E-1 Ablesman Recruit, E-2 Ablesman Apprentice

E-3 Ablesman, E-4 Petty Officer Third Class

E-5 Petty Officer Second Class

E-6 Petty Officer First Class

E-7 Chief Petty Officer

E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer

E-10 Senior Master Chief Petty Officer

I also completed the template for the chart itself, however I'm still on the fence with regards to the backround image that I selected, I might change that up. Please provide any comments or criticism to help me along with this project. I'm hoping to finish this one really soon.

I want to thank all of you for your patients and really great feedback with this project. Both are really appreciated!!!!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
VA, your ideas are just wonderful! this is another classic resource!

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
I love the use of Naval ranks from the US Armed Forces (of course with the changing of sea-man to able-man...)  (I used the same system with my Scuba troopers.)  Where you have the pay-grades on a parallel line, are they meant to be the same?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:42:48 AM by UnitedStatesDemocrat »
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore