Author Topic: Custom figs.- customcloner  (Read 11242 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Custom figs.- customcloner
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
I know that the enamels I started with never cured, I have a figure that I did when I first started doing customs that is still sticky.  Acrylics are dry to the touch in almost 10 minutes and cured over night!  I love it!  never going to use enamels again....

man I need to get some more styrene in smaller sizes.  I have a big sheet of 1/4" styrine that I used almost all the rest of it for my garage dio.  It's great stuff, super glue bonds almost instantly to it!  I just wish local hardware stores caried it so that I didn't have to find a plastic suply company or order it online....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »
Got any hobby shops nearby, Devon? I can always find it at hobby heaven or hobbytown usa.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
about an hours drive there is a hobby-lobby and a michaels craft store in paducha.... but I don't think either one carries it.  Michaels doesn't even cary acrilic model paints :(

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
Very cool work on these customs. I just keep getting amazed at the level of quality I keep finding on this site.
Excellent!

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Spud, one of my R&D projects is to try having a go at a "For Sale" sign to use as sheet-plastic instead of foam-core for everything. 

Barry, gotta love ISY, man!  We're committed to teaching each other as much as we know and sharing anything we figure out that works well (or fails spectacularly!) so that we can better have fun in our hobby.  I think everyone here has something they are particularly skilled at - Jules' photoshopping, Clint's casting, Spud's Joe-splicing, Wraith's razor-straight paint apps, and so on.  (I'm just learning everything from everybody and trying to make really fun stuff to look at!  So I guess I'm really good at asking questions.  ;D )  And everyone is willing to help each other learn, because of something like this train of thought: "Y'know, Dingle's last custom was another example of how his X technique blows everyone out of the water, even tho I ace him with Y.  If I can get him up to my level with Y and he can explain his approach to X to me, then we'll be friggin UNSTOPPABLE!!!"

Or something like that.   8)

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »
Doc, you're absolutely right. I love this site. It feels more like a community than any other one I've seen.
Fanatastic!

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
lots of frequent posters and active members too.  and no trolls.... I hope.  lol  I've been on too many forums where people are there just to ruffle feathers and stir up a crock pot of crap....   Here it's all very positive, and constructive.  gotta love it.

Doc,  I've seen other people use the for sale sign plastic for things like vacuforming so I know it'll do just as good as the foamcore sheet styrene!

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
I know that the enamels I started with never cured, I have a figure that I did when I first started doing customs that is still sticky.  Acrylics are dry to the touch in almost 10 minutes and cured over night!  I love it!  never going to use enamels again....

Can anybody tell me what enamels ARE good for?  Thanks in advance.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
I've had success painting action fleet ships with enamels.  It's something to do with the plastic you are painting on.  it might work well if you put a base coat of acrylic primer, and then paint over that and then seal it with some clear coat acrylic spray paint.

Plastic models and harder plastic figures seem to do ok,  It's the rubbery new plastic that gives you the worst trouble.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »
i use my GW paints on A/F's and they are fine
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »
Yep, the enamels seem to work ok on the harder plastic on a model kit. I used to use them on my model car kits all the time.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'll be doing some experimenting.   :)

Offline customcloner

• Ensign
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 06:06:57 AM »
I have found that on the customs I add sculpting to the paint some times dosnt dry all the way and remains tacky, I also notice that when Im painting over a fig. completely white to have a base to start from. After every coat I have to let cure, if not from handling the fig. as Im painting finger prints will be left behind. Having said that I only use testers if I cant find the colors Im looking for in others. Sometimes I cant help but use it being I only have one hobby shop close 45min. drive others are 2-3 hour drive one way... too far for paint!
"Magnificent Aren't They"

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 06:45:12 AM »
I know about the not having a hobbie shop close delimma, John. It so sucks that Walmart doesn't carry paint for models anymore.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »
Spud, one of my R&D projects is to try having a go at a "For Sale" sign to use as sheet-plastic instead of foam-core for everything. 

This is what I use for all my customs if I have to do custom parts/building. The price for a "for sale" sign is about $4 while sheet styrile of the same size is double or triple that. I normally buy the large sign over the smaller signs as they are a little more ridged and a better cost per sq foot.

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com