Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36818 times)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Re: Aude's Workshop
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »
She looks awesome mate, well done indeed.

Ron

Thanks Ron! She was a lot of fun to put together.

She looks DAMN good! Excellent work, my friend. I've seen a few customs of her, but yours is a knock out!

Thanks RC! We had side & rear shots of her kilt in Ep3 so there was enough to work with after that. I could never find a clear image of the boots, so I exercised a bit of creative license there. If/when I make her again, I want to add some fur to the boots. It is unclear whether Dyn will seek out the relocated covert this season, so we may not see her again. Also, you might have something in that fan name.

I had to get this gal on the top of the main page today. Still speechless how great she looks from the show. Just spot on. She is getting a lot of love on our Facebook Page too.

Thanks Tamer! Favreau & co have done great work with the show, and it has been a blast to once again have lively discussions about current Star Wars content that a majority seem to be enjoying.

Wow. Love that Mando armorer!

Thanks Chuckles! I thought about your Mando fur trader while working on her!

Thanks again to all of you for the encouragement! I decided to list her for auction this evening with the hope that her sale will fund future customs. This is not something I plan to do regularly, but I am curious to see what demand might be like. If interested, you can check her out here!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
The armorer turned out really, really well. Great execution on her design. This was a brilliant build.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
Fantastic.  That is top notch work. 

In other news, I was cruising the Hasbro site and it looks like we will at least get a 3.75 Mandolorean and Cara Dune in the Vintage Collection.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 04:26:29 AM »
Thanks! :) There are a couple aspects that I think I can improve, but I'm pleased with the way she turned out. The hammer was made from pieces of a skiff guard vibro-axe which was cut, sanded, and glued; the tongs were formerly a paperclip. The outfit feels like a mixture or Greek and Norse designs, but I can see the fur giving off a bit of the GoT aesthetic also.

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for the recipe for the tools!  That's defintely canon if you even used Hasbro parts ;) I'm very curious to see where the winning bid for her ends...And I totally agree on the Greek design. And I didn't know the word "Norse" before - looked it up. In German it's "nordisch" - lesson learned for today! Thanks a lot!

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 07:07:39 PM »
The armorer turned out really, really well. Great execution on her design. This was a brilliant build.

Thank you, Starchaser! She is such a great character on the show and has such a neat design, I knew I wanted to make her after Ep. 3. The Enfys body was a perfect base for the build!

Fantastic.  That is top notch work. 

In other news, I was cruising the Hasbro site and it looks like we will at least get a 3.75 Mandolorean and Cara Dune in the Vintage Collection.

Thanks Mo! I know that Hasbro have announced a few single-carded figures for VC, but the offering is paltry (Mando, Cara, repainted Stormtrooper) and will not be available until Spring '20. They also recently opened preorders for "The Child" in various sizes, none of which are 3.75" scale.....

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for the recipe for the tools!  That's defintely canon if you even used Hasbro parts ;) I'm very curious to see where the winning bid for her ends...And I totally agree on the Greek design. And I didn't know the word "Norse" before - looked it up. In German it's "nordisch" - lesson learned for today! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome, and no worries! I love that you referred to the accessories/components as canon.  ;)

hmm, double post imminent.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
Well, I'm back with another fresh custom for December. I had hoped to complete the last few Barge folks, but the base bodies are still bagged and in pieces without any significant progress, so they'll likely be coming sometime next year. Today's custom is the first character you'll find in the thread that hasn't been seen onscreen. Instead, he is from a Star Wars board game: Fantasy Flight Games' Imperial Assault. IA is a tactical combat strategy game with both progression missions and a one-off skirmish mode, and it's a ton of fun. If you enjoy Star Wars and gaming with friends, I highly recommend it!

This build has a few firsts for me. The head is entirely sculpted rather than built around an existing portrait, and I used a pair of cabochons to give the eyes the semi-transparent look. Since the body I decided on had a ball torso and swivel waist, I opted for a full soft-goods clothing upper. The jacket, along with the straps, belt, and holsters are all cut from a .4mm ultra-thin leather, and the jacket's edges are wired for posability. The metal details are cut and bent from a thin aluminum sheeting and crafting studs. I want to thank all of you who churn out fanfic & EU customs for the constant reminder that there are so many possibilities for customs (and Chuckles x2, whose recent backdrop idea I have shamelessly applied to my flash-diorama 8)). Anyway, here he is!

Vinto Hreeda
Reckless Vigilante

Composition: Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. Female Orc Blank torso, arms, & hands, VC Death Star Gunner pelvis, legs, & feet. Epoxy clay sculpted head, fingers, and boots. Fabric shirt with dyed pattern, leather jacket, straps, belt, & holsters. Aluminum sheet pauldrons and accents. Cabochon eyes.

"Just keep shooting. Eventually, one of you stops shooting back." -VH

Addendum: Taking photos for the project made me realize how ill-equipped I was to set up a proper diorama. I whipped up the base fairly quickly, but am lacking accessories (crates, barrels, etc) and proper backdrop wall paneling. This is something I would love to improve as I've seen some excellent examples here. Perhaps a basic corridor set and then a proper sarlacc once the rest of the Khetanna crew are finished...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »
I love that you referred to the accessories/components as canon. 

As if I was in the position to judge about that xD But I really like what you do! It was also good to watch how much your custom went for on ebay! Much deserved amount for this masterpiece!

So when I checked by this morning and saw your latest project, I almost dropped my cereal. I don't remember signing in here any quicker.
Vinto Hreeda is such a fresh custom I can't even tell! I must admit I'm most impressed by the head. I just read it's even sculpted with epoxy?! I love the fact that he's missing the left ear and this scar looks amazing in his face. Don't get me wrong, but those details just look incredible! The eyes are stunning, too! I suppose they are made with applications from the craft store? Or did you also make them with epoxy resin/clear glue?
Aluminum plates, fine fabric that looks like 1/18 scale leather, all the belts and straps, the coat, excellent choice of shiny colors - I'm speechless!
This is easily one of the three best action figures I've ever seen in 1/18 scale. And with its story it's just become one of my absolute favorite Star Wars characters.
To me this shows how much we need more Rodians! Eric told me that The Black Series will get much more aliens in the near future. I hope TVC does, too!

So this character does exsist officially? Is Imperial Assault a table top game and does it have to do anything with SW Legion?

Man, what a start into this Friday! I'm hyped and spend the rest of the day looking at all the pictures you provide here. Thank you so much for sharing this absolute stunning masterpiece on here! Most respect for this jewel of a custom!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:22:57 AM by Darth More »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2019, 05:56:47 AM »
Holy shit! That rodian is amazing! Love the scar and missing forehead ear thing! Very nice work and a very cool design!

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »
Chuckles is right, HOLY SHIT, Indeed.  So much beautiful detail.  I am blown away by the soft goods and the meta details.  A real work of art.  Just amazing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
Yep, jaw unhinged. Wow. So awesome. I don't even know how to comment on all the coolness.

Love the head sculpt and that soft goods work is fantastic. Love the metal bits on it and it looks like you can pose it anyway you want too. Awesome custom. Off to the front pages.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »
Awesome body of work! I'd love to do a feature of you on our blog.

customsforthekid.blogspot.com

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »
Philipp: Thank you as always for the in-depth feedback! My earlier response was only meant to indicate that the component parts being referred to as 'canon' was amusing and made me smile. And yes, the armorer did well! I was glad to see that she did, and the sale gave me a good feel for what the current market is like while helping to finance some future projects. 3.75" is starved for content lately with few reassurances that much of anything new is coming anytime soon.

While the head is epoxy clay, the eyes are actually cabochons, or polished gems that are not faceted. I ordered a few of them in different colors, and plan to make more use of them going forward. I agree that the character has a fantastic design- quirks and imperfections always add interest! There are some other heroes also from IA on a shortlist that I would like to make at some point as companions to Vinto, so we will see if/when that happens.

Yes, IA is sort of a board game precursor to Legion. Both are made by FFG, who also make the other SW tabletop games Star Wars: X-Wing (micro-scale w/ a squad of a few ships) and Armada (macro w/ fleets), both of which are also great. As to the question of canon, I haven't the foggiest idea. I have to be honest: canon has always been for me whatever I want it to be; whatever I enjoy most. I love a lot of the old EU, which was relegated to 'Legends' after the sale, so this outlook has been beneficial.

Chuckles: Thank you! You always seem to be working on something, and that inspires me to do the same. In a way, this almost feels like an apology figure for poor Chussido (or her lookalike) being publicly disintegrated a few weeks ago.

Moronarama: Thank you! I was excited to have found the ultra-thin leather and even more pleased to see it work out so well. It has the perfect amount of give to it and it's so supple! I would totally wear his 3/4 length jacket if it fit.

Tamer: Thanks! Vinto is definitely super poseable. I am not a huge fan of the ball hip hinge Hasbro uses on the more recent 3.75" SA figures (TBS 6" has a much better ball hinged hip- it's simpler and requires less rotating/bending), but it worked out fine on my two most recent customs. The range of motion is definitely a plus, so I imagine I'll be using the ball hips more frequently going forward.

darthdaddy: Thank you! I've admired custom projects for years and have certainly been enjoying making them myself more recently. Creating these figures still seems a bit like a nascent hobby if I'm honest, but I would be open to it.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »
That's fantastic!  You make some remarkable figures, for sure. I gotta step my game up.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2019, 01:17:27 AM »
Dude, Vinto looks really awesome! I was looking at him as a character less than a month ago and thought, "he would be a great character for someone to build." You really knocked this out of the park. The head sculpt is remarkable and the soft goods (plus aluminium) look really stunning.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply Aude! Thank you for providing all the interesting info! I think I will spend some time on doing research on Legion.
I actually looked up "cabochons" since I hadn't known the word, but I knew what they are. Brilliant idea with the wire incorporated in the leather coat! As Tamer said, this makes so many cool poses look even cooler!