Author Topic: flaccideagle's Custom Vehicles ~~ UPDATED 9/26/2011  (Read 35180 times)

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
Re: flaccideagle's Custom Vehicles ~~ UPDATED 10/11/2010
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
looks amazing man!

cool weathering!

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks so much all! I have a slight break in work so hopefully I can do some more and share with you guys. I check your stuff every day so it's a real compliment to hear from you.  Thanks!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 02:35:38 AM »
FE, what I really love about your work is the colour of everything. You make each custom your own, they aren't simply copies of things seen in the films or TV shows, it shows creativity on your part.

I love both speeders, and all of the little details that goes with them. Awesome!!!!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:02 AM »
AWESOME Freeco!  Mine is just sitting here, bone-stock, awaiting my attention. (along with a BUNCH of other vehicles...)

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »
awesome color combos, looks perfect on that bike

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »
Thanks so much again guys.   Your kind comments always bring a smile to my face and encourage me to work harder  ;D  I only post my work here at Imperial Shipyards

I am going to finish a droid this week that I was going to do for the March contest before work got overwhelming.  Keep an eye out !!!

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
really sweet. :)
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
Thanks hanns

So here is another update as to what I'm up to.

In the spring, ISY had a "custom droid" contest.  Once I was about a week away from finishing my entry, after a long time planning it out, work caught up to me until the last few weeks or so.

I had a bunch of R4-P44 parts lying around, and decided to use him as part of the base.

I didn't want it to just be a repaint, so I thought, perhaps I will figure out what job he could do, and then design some add-ons to fit with that function.  Like, for example, C-3pO, he's an ettique droid, so him being gold and human-like makes sense.  R2 is designed to fit into a ship, or to fix things, hense the size and arms, etc.

I thought about making him a port security droid, kind of a Star Wars version of the body scanners I see at the airport all the time.  It also kind of fits with my preferences in customizing, I'm more into making the average, non-armed vehicles and civilian Star Wars items.

So I went to the closest hobby shop to buy some more paints, as I knew I wanted this droid to be red.  The shop is mostly railroad and WWII military focused, and always has SF kits for really cheap.

I found this strange eastern european made kit:

...and combined some random parts together with a Space Satellite/station model kit together to form his shell and body.

I added sensors and all sorts of stuff before I had to stop, and I'm hoping to finish it really soon, it just needs details, like panel colors, and some more holes and such filled.

I also started to make another speeder last week, this time from Anakin's hot rod.

I'm going to add some parts and stuff as I go, more working on the frame and engines now.

I'm replacing the engines with these cool satellite parts, and figuring out how I'm going to mount everything.

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
Re: flaccideagle's Custom Vehicles ~~ UPDATED 11/16/2010
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »
really neat can't wait to see it when its done. :)
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »
Great WIP images, I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
I remember seeing yoiur fist image durring the droid contest and could not wait to see how it turned out. I wondered what had happened to your project and am glad to see you working on it again.

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
Hey, just wanted to stop off and say your speeders came out pretty good. You've got some pretty vibrant colors on there just curious as to what kind of paint you used?

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
Hey, just wanted to stop off and say your speeders came out pretty good. You've got some pretty vibrant colors on there just curious as to what kind of paint you used?

ha! let me return the favor ;)

I use acrylics, I use the UK Warhammer model paint company ARMY PAINTER as primers, they are awesome but expensive...  Then sometimes I'll use Rustoleum Specialty Plastic sprays for colors... while they're cheap, they seem to run out fast and not stick to everything, but at 1/3rd the price they work for a lot of stuff I'm doing.

For brush work I use Speedball Acrylic paints.  I am going to have to change to another brand, thinking Liquitex, because Speedball stopped making the line of paints i've been using...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »
neat looking project. On the front page.

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2010, 07:17:47 AM »

I'll use Rustoleum Specialty Plastic sprays for colors... while they're cheap, they seem to run out fast and not stick to everything, but at 1/3rd the price they work for a lot of stuff I'm doing.

For brush work I use Speedball Acrylic paints.  I am going to have to change to another brand, thinking Liquitex, because Speedball stopped making the line of paints i've been using...

As a friendly tip, the plastic used for toys is a pretty dense and durable surface..meaning it's a little resistant to some paints. An easy step in the process is to always spray your vehicle down with a bonding primer and any brand will do. They're typically pretty cheap and a good base coat to follow should prevent any chipping or peeling of the paint. And it gets rid of the general plastic look of the vehicle too.
  And thanks for the tip on the type of paint you use. Sometimes I tend to get a little tunnel vision when it comes to my paints..and start scratching my head wondering what I've done wrong..but it may just be a simple switch in brands.