Author Topic: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets  (Read 39117 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »
Let’s do a little cab review
A couple of weeks back, I managed to score this, probably the more collectible cab out there, the Arcade1up Atari 12-in-1
    That first year of production showed quite a bit of popularity that inspired two exclusive cabs to be released. The regular Asteroids included 4 games, asteroids/tempest/ lunar lander/major havoc
   The Costco exclusive 6in1 added asteroids deluxe and
Gravitar. This, what I thought was a Best Buy exclusive, is called a deluxe edition and includes those 6, the 4 from the centipede cab, centipede/millipede, crystal castles, and missile command plus 2 more Quantum and Liberator making it 12. Interesting to note, the original released 1up centipede featured a vertical mounted LCD screen where this one has a horizontal mounted screen. The thought is that horizontal works better for asteroids but the big difference is how missile command plays. Designed to be horizontal, on that ole centipede cab, it’s play screen would be placed in a letterbox format that made it much too small.
     I have some opening and general assembly pics here. This is a first gen cab so, that means only 1 speaker and no deck protector.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2020, 02:24:14 AM »
Now that I think about it, I’m almost sure they made the screen switch to make things work better for missile command. The control deck has been reconfigured to accommodate for the trackball and for the 3 side by side buttons for launching from your three bases. Now the new control deck does wonders for missile command and centipede feels alright, the asteroids themed games seem a bit unfamiliar because their button locations changed somewhat. I’m sure you could re learn this and grow comfortable with it. It doesn’t make those titles unplayable. Some complain about the trackball for some reason but I don’t have a problem with it. Some complain about the spinner which is mainly there for Tempest but I don’t hate it. That thing could spin a bit more freely as could the trackball but it’s not like we are talking about a $2500 coin op machine. There is an aftermarket spinner available to import for $50 if one so wishes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2020, 02:36:29 AM »
Part of the special edition package was that it included a riser box to assemble and set the cab on, which was nice as they are so hard to find.
The deco is centipede with a black background on one side and Asteroids on the other with a marquee that has graphics and logos for both. Alternate graphics for both can be found going down the screen bezel sides. I am working again with eBay seller Justin, from gulfcoastdecals, to come up with a custom graphics add on package for this cab and its riser.
      I mainly wanted this cab for missile command which is a blast and I’m glad I got this version instead of the white centipede version with the vertical screen. Centipede is a lot of fun also and I do believe this cab saves most of the recorded high scores.
It used to be a thing in the arcade to put your initials next to your score that would be displayed during the games demo modes.
Bragging rights.
  As far as regular releases, the only cab more rare than this one right now would be the white centipede.
I can’t believe I found one new and unspoiled
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:48:32 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2020, 06:26:17 AM »
Wow, another great one Clint. Does that mean you are not looking for a centipede cabinet now?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
Wow, another great one Clint. Does that mean you are not looking for a centipede cabinet now?
since it is now the “holy grail” I would take that cab if I found it for cheap but no, Shawn, because of the screen change, I would rather have this one

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 06:51:57 AM »
I kinda figured. I swear I am gonna use that link you gave me to maybe try and track down one next week. I am finally feeling well enough to get out and about I think.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Ok Tamer, here is a guy who spent under $500 “ not including the 1up cab price” to mesh the guts of a 1up Star Wars cab to online repro decals and online reproduction blueprint made pieces of the full size original arcade sit down cabinet. It’s a bit wonky but there is some interesting history about that original Atari Star Wars game in there. You will have to bear with it to see the good stuff
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xinJW0uZbg8

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
Wow, not that is some dedication there. So cool.

I am gonna take this one to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
https://www.escapepodonline.com/collections/arcade1up/products/arcade1up-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-complete-art-kit

Here you go Shawn. Here is an Arcade1up cabinet graphics set from escapeponline You could use to dress a stand up cabinet as Empire, and get the sit down Star Wars to display and play both versions at the same time.
  Thanks to escape pod for the shot.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2020, 05:49:38 AM »
Wow, that looks sweet too. Just awesome graphics. Man, getting harder to resist this one.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2020, 05:42:04 PM »
I got another package from Gulf Coast decals the other day.
It’s time to dress up the Asteroids cab some more.
    I used a factory riser box this time, with the notch in the front. These graphic sets are always cut with square edges so some careful trimming, notching, brandishing, and trim hole filling were needed where that notch occurred.
Part of the front and both side riser decals had some extra length that I have seen some folks wrap over and around the top lip of the riser box. I did this and used part of the cut off lip scrap to patch a couple of holes in the corners. I think it turned out pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:12:05 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
Before and after

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2020, 05:46:37 PM »
Before and after
Graphics applied fairly well without issue and the colors look good. Ole Asteroids has a more commanding presence in the lineup now.
Sweet!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:08:05 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
I lost the post with the loose kit pics
Here they are. I didn’t use the decals around the bezel as I prefer the more factory look there.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2020, 07:10:00 AM »
Wow, that looks so much better. Man, what a difference a few graphics can make. I like seeing this artwork so much better than seeing the words. Off to the front pages.

Man, I would love to come over and loose a few hours here Clint. You are creating something awesome.