Author Topic: Luke Sprywalker's Custom Action Figures from 2009-2012  (Read 225668 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Luke Sprywalker Customs Updated 8-13
« Reply #525 on: August 15, 2010, 02:18:40 AM »
Dude, these are so good I really didn't know if you'd painted them or just swapped parts! you've licked it my friend, I am totally impressed.

I must try your method myself, so thanks for the recipe.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #526 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:53 AM »
ARS30, thanks man. He is R3-M9, I did show him reviously but here you go. Also he and many others can be found in Wraith Nine's astromech directory.

Barry, glad to make you smile a bit and glad you too are liking the astros. The only part I painted in the previous pics are the white dome and legs. That is infact R2-X2 I used as the base for whistler. He is complete now and I'll be back momentarily with the pics of him.

Offline ars30

• Ensign
« Reply #527 on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:17 AM »
Oh Man I Really Like That Droid ;D
I Do Have Technical Question:
How Do You Get The Domes to Shine So Good?

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
Thats a kool  driod luke whats the blue color you used? Jays got a run for his money now  buddy!!

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
It looks like you do these with a brush, which I could never do. I have to use a paint pen, because I find that I have more control, but my hat is off to you, for your lines and inventiveness.
Windex....... You clever, clever boy. I wish I had a tenth of your skill. How in the H E double hockey stix did you figure that one out?
Alright, let's get personal for a sec, 'cause you know I'm always interested in the people I respect:
1. L.E., do you ever sleep? Or, have you discovered a way to clone yourself? In Alabama, we only have 24 hours in a day. In NC, do ya'll have 200 hours in a day? Seriously, I know you have 14 jobs, and I've seen you on vacation with the fam, but you've got to be the busiest guy on the face of the Earth, next to Jules. How in the firetruck (Isn't that the word that starts with the letter F and ends with the 3 letters UCK) do you find the time???
2. How long do you normally spend on a custom? I mean, once you've figured out exactly how you're gonna approach a custom, and lay your hands on the parts.
3. If you weren't doing all that you do, and you could actually sit down and watch television, what programs would you watch?

Sorry bout all of the questions, but you truly are The Man of Mystery, considering how  much you have on your plate, and how you're able to balance all of the things you do.

r1bb1ted for your pleasure

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
what a great droid man!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #531 on: August 16, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
Ars30, I use model masters brush on gloss sealer.

Kreeper2, thanks man. The paint was car model paint I found in a spray can at a discount store called Ollie's. Sorry, not much help.

Barry, thanks bro. Yes I do these with a brush after 2 coats of spray primer. As for the windex, I clean my brushes with it. One of the times I was practicing painting an astro and the white paint started getting chalky I dipped the brush in the windex and went over the area I just painted. To my amazement it broke up the crust that was starting to build. So I dipped my brush in again and stirred the small amount of paint in a cup I had out and the rest is history. Well, I am taking all the credit when I did pray to Jay the whole time I was doing this. He is the master and I have to come up with tricks and cheat to get these things decent looking.

now for the personal touch...

1. I do sleep from about 11:30-6. The cloning has not worked out yet. I keep getting a watery blob that falls apart on me. I really hope I can get this worked out because I have really taken an interest in customizing Joes these days. I have filed a petition to get 4 more hours in the day so I hope Osam...I mean Obama will go for it. To show how much I can use this 4 hrs this is my typical day.

6am - get up, get out of bed, but in over 20 yrs have not dragged a comb across my head.
6:20 - touching up whatever custom I was messing with the night before.
7 -    get 2 landscape crews going for the day and go do what I need to
8 -   sometimes later, back home, get on the best SW site on the net, then a few other sites, eat breakfast, check email, watch sk8 videos people have sent me or on web sites.
9-12  do work son! but I will sometimes hit a coat of paint on something to get a break.
12-1 - eat luch while seeing if Jay is in the chat room, if nothing is happening I may hit another coat of paint on something
1-3 or 4ish - design a landscape layout, see customers, check on sales at various shops, check on/work on my garden.
4-6ish - is useualy Jaxon time
6 - 11 eat dinner then go swimming, Family time, a bit of custom work, go outside and skate the mini ramp, back on the best SW site on the web.

2. The length of time varies depending on how far I am going with it. Sometimes I go all out for an "ultimate" custom and sometimes I just do simple parts swaps with no paint. Then we have these droids I have really been laboring over. One thing that helps is that I work on about 6 customs at the same time. That way when I mix up brown paint I can use it up on several customs rather than mixing it 6 times. I have wondered if I could sit down for 8 hrs straight what I could get done. I am going say an astromech takes me 4 hrs for a complete color change. About an hour to change just the details, like the blue on R2-D2 to black. Now action figures are much easier and most repaints can be done in an hour some time 2. Now I am not talking detail lines like Clonehead does that takes days of work a little at a time so you don't pull your hair out or kick the cat. Now lets take my Ultimate Toht, Blood of Kali Indy, German mechanic, some of my Bounty Hunters, latest Joes, these had some sculpting, scratch built stuff, soft goods, the works. Soft good is something I enjoy trying to work out. I know most people hate it but I think the biggest challenge is finding the right materials for this scale. I would say they take from 6-15 hrs for everything. Painting flesh takes a while for me because the paint is so thin to keep it smooth, then I may lightly shade that in desired spots. It also depends if I want the custom to fit in with the Hasbro line or be more like a piece of art. Been going with the art on most these days.

3. You will notice in my time alotment there is no TV. TV to me is what the wife has blaring while I'm tryin' to chill. I do watch a bit of  History ch, Discovery, Animal Planet, Fuel TV, and...The Office. I tend to hate most sitcoms though everyone tells me I could write one...

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
« Reply #532 on: August 16, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »
Thats a hell of a day routine you got going sounds like mine with the exception of the tv part gotta have my family guy and news.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
AWESOME

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info, bro. Damn, your day really is full. I love getting to know customizers better.
There really should be some kind of sticky thread that just asks 10 simple questions about customizers so everyone gets to know a lil something about each other.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:24 PM »
That sounds like a thread that your voice would be perfect to pen, Barry.

Now that is a sharp astromech, LE! Never heard of the windex technique. You learn something new every day around here.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #536 on: August 18, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Man, how did I forget Family Guy! I love it too.

I have been sick of these lower holes of the BAD droids so I came up with a pretty cool fix. I covered the holes with button snaps or whatever you call them.

Here is my finished Whistler

I guess Coran had a rash durring this photo op

next up is R4-E1 and the CZ droid in this reference shot

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #537 on: August 18, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
nice looking droid! ;D

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #538 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
mate as i told u in chat the whistler is bang on accurate  and utterly superb and the rest are fantastic !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #539 on: August 19, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
again excellent custom droids Spry
I hope you'll show us all your Tatooine droid creations in a Mos Eisley dio