Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135659 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett: p53: Clone Commando Gregor 6in scale
« Reply #795 on: June 16, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »
Nice! The helmet doesn't look too small in the pictures, I think it turned out well. I gotta say that your handpainted attempt at camo turned out pretty awesome. The whole project looks outstanding. 

My son uses a resin printer for 28mm and 32mm, he's pretty good at scaling already (only been at it about three months). We have yet to tackle anything in the 1:18 or 1:12 scale, but maybe this summer. The whole process seems a little daunting to me, but he is mastering it pretty quickly (he did a lot...I mean A LOT...of research before he ever even bought a printer - dozens of hours on Youtube tutorials and talking to some of the independent mini producers). We are both pretty excited about creating our own stl files, so we'll see how that goes.

It is really daunting.  This printer is a monoprice "LCD high resolution resin" printer that my fiance's brother left at her place when he left the country to travel/work...  So I came at it completely clueless on how to use it.  He visited one weekend around christmas and we set it up and gave it a go.  Neither of us had any clue how to use it and I just thought "Load a file, slice it, print it"... My first print was of the razorcrest and because we didn't build any supports for it, it came out as a 2d blob!

I've since been downloading STL files off thingiverse and slowly learning it.  It's been intimidating, but I'm starting to learn what I can, and can't print.  I also downloaded blender to try and edit some files... and holy crap that's hard.  I don't think I'll be able to get the hang of doing that.

Good luck with yours!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2021, 07:40:13 AM »
I noticed this one didn't leave the print lines I was used to seeing. I would definitely prefer one without the lines even if it takes longer and has a smaller print area I think.

And I agree, I don't think this looks too small at all.

You think you will tackle Delta Squad? That would be killer. I would think you could do the same exact thing except for their backpacks. Big investment though.

I downloaded an STL for "fixer"'s helmet as it's slightly different, but I don't think I'm going to be doing any more commandos.  I've been trying to limit my action figure purchases and be more conservative with that spending...  which is really difficult with all the recent figures.  It's frustrating that many of the ones I want are exclusives I can't find, but at least thats forcing me into saving my money at the moment.... lol

I really think 3d printing is going to take over and revolutionize this hobby.  What I've done so far with this printer is leaps and bounds better than what I could have kit-bashed or sculpted on my own!  My only issue is that many of the files I've downloaded are intended for 1:1 prints to use in cosplay.  As such, they are hollow shells and true "helmets."  This doesn't translate well into printing them at 1:12 scale.  They are either too thin to print, or too brittle and delicate to use.  I was lucky to find a republic commando helmet that was a solid render instead of hollow.  I was able to print it as a solid piece and then use my dremel to create the neck's ball joint the old fashioned way.

I think it would be a fantastic idea to add a new forum on here specifically for sharing STL files that we find work well for action figure uses.  I've been using thingiverse right now to download the free files shared there, but as I said, many don't work for our purposes.  If we had a place to collectively pool knowledge for JUST star wars STL files I think that'd be fantastic.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #797 on: June 17, 2021, 05:06:07 AM »
That STL Section idea is a good one.

I will get that created somewhere here in the customs section today.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #799 on: June 18, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #800 on: June 19, 2021, 09:05:03 AM »
Thats a great Gregor! All those tick marks are a labor of love!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #801 on: June 28, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »
This is a figure I was hoping to use my 3d printer to do... but I couldn't find a file that really fit my needs, every print I tried came out horrible so I decided to do it the "old fashioned way."
Galactic Marine 6inch "black series" scale.
Parts:
Helmet is a heavily carved up snow trooper. It's not as accurate as I wanted, but it works.
Chest and torso: Snow trooper.  Again, not exactly accurate to the galactic marine I'm the prequels.  Maybe this guy is a hybrid phase between the clone army and the empire?
Arms: heavily modified clone commander Bly.
Belt and kama: Belt is from the commander Bly, and the kama is a piece of pleather painted to match the figure. 
Thighs: I popped open the hips of the snow trooper and drilled out the opening to accept the thighs from a boba fett figure. 
Knees and below:  The boots and knees are from a scout trooper. 
The shoulder pauldron was scratch built using construction paper and super glue to reinforce it.
I DID get a good 3d print of the "westar M5" blaster rifle and some shots of it are in here too.
The backpack was one thing I really hoped to be able to print, but instead I made a scaffolding of foam core board and sculpted over it.  I used the thermal detonator from the belt as the middle cylindrical piece and used the pouches from the heavy mandalorian figure as the pouches at the bottom.

All in all I am happy with how it turned out.  I did fubar the first snow trooper head I tried to modify.  I cut the "cape" all the way to the helmet on the first go and then realized that it was supposed to go all the way around the back of the neck.  Luckilly I had several snowtrooper heads to work with from my range trooper mash ups.

As always, you can see more images and get updates faster by checking out my facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/spudafettcustoms

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: spudafett: p54: 6in scale Galactic Marine
« Reply #802 on: June 28, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
First off, I'm sorry that I couldn't help you out better. Daniel could modify and scale down an .STL file, but he's completely busy working on his costume props. Speaking of costumes, I think you can be proud of your skills because the result looks amazing! The armor of your Galactic Marine looks fantastic and I think your sculpted backpack looks much better than Hasbro's 1/18 scale version.
I really like the details on it and think you chose the perfect color - also for the PU skirt.
Just an amazing project to show what customizing is all about! The printed M5 is the cherry on this pie!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #803 on: June 28, 2021, 01:42:14 PM »
I don’t think the RC helmet looks small.
     The Galactic marine turned out great. Of special wonder was that sweet looking backpack!
  I had a mold fit the snow trooper head at one time but it’s probably out of commission now.
   I don’t know anything about the printing. Understand the mechanics of it and even seen the largest one in the states at work at a place we were contracting concrete placement for.  They would print pieces as large as a person. I remember a room they had where they did some 3D scanning.     Seems like there would be some affordable way to 3D scan your own stuff. Like a box with a vertical line of cameras too to bottom, and a turntable timed to rotate to the shots to get every angle needed to make a 3D rendering. In between and after, it’s all code. User friendly software would have to be included, of course

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #804 on: June 29, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »
I like your Galactic Marine. Looks good.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #805 on: June 29, 2021, 10:25:31 AM »
Wow thats awesome!

You got all the different trooper parts fitted together so flawlessly!

If you’re still looking for galactic marine files, theres a 1:1 full armor set on thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3860621

You can scale it down to about 10% using a slicer to fit 6” figures ;)

What was the issue when you tried printing parts?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #806 on: June 29, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
Wow thats awesome!

If you’re still looking for galactic marine files, theres a 1:1 full armor set on thingiverse

So here's the issue I am having with the free 3d files I'm finding of most helmets and armors:  Because they are made as full scale cosplay pieces, when they are scaled down to 1/12th scale they become so thin they don't print correctly...  In addition to this, MOST files are for helmets that do not have the visors in place, because to be a wearable helmet you want that to be blank so you can attach a visor in later.

Of course this means that they print with nothing there, and this would be difficult to fix at 1/12th scale! 

here's some examples of failed prints I've done using those files:

The scout trooper helmet there turned out a lot better than the others I've tried.  But it still came out with a hole in the side of it because the helmet is just too thin to support itself at this scale.

What I'd like to do is just edit the 3d file somehow to fill in the gaps of the missing visors and then fill in the neck hole to make the helmet one solid piece.  The republic commando helmet file I found was already done this way, specifically for using with action figures and NOT as a wearable cosplay item.  Having the files begin at 1:1 scale does help get the re-sizing into 1:12th scale perfect (just shrink them to 8.4% and print), but they just aren't thick enough when scaled down like this.

I'm looking for some tutorials to help me try and figure out how to do this on blender but I'm coming up short...

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #807 on: June 29, 2021, 06:45:54 PM »
I had the same issue for my original mando custom cuz I used a 1:1 helmet meant for cosplay.

What I did was I sanded down the print, then filled the holes with putty, sculpting clay.

I then smoothed the clay over and sanded it down again

Once I filled all the holes, I filled the cavity of the helmet with hot glue, then drilled a hole to fit the ball joint on the neck

You can also try increasing the wall thickness of the prints and choose a stronger infill.

What type of printer do you have?
Wow thats awesome!

So here's the issue I am having with the free 3d files I'm finding of most helmets and armors:  Because they are made as full scale cosplay pieces, when they are scaled down to 1/12th scale they become so thin they don't print correctly...  In addition to this, MOST files are for helmets that do not have the visors in place, because to be a wearable helmet you want that to be blank so you can attach a visor in later.

Of course this means that they print with nothing there, and this would be difficult to fix at 1/12th scale! 

here's some examples of failed prints I've done using those files:

The scout trooper helmet there turned out a lot better than the others I've tried.  But it still came out with a hole in the side of it because the helmet is just too thin to support itself at this scale.

What I'd like to do is just edit the 3d file somehow to fill in the gaps of the missing visors and then fill in the neck hole to make the helmet one solid piece.  The republic commando helmet file I found was already done this way, specifically for using with action figures and NOT as a wearable cosplay item.  Having the files begin at 1:1 scale does help get the re-sizing into 1:12th scale perfect (just shrink them to 8.4% and print), but they just aren't thick enough when scaled down like this.

I'm looking for some tutorials to help me try and figure out how to do this on blender but I'm coming up short...

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #808 on: June 30, 2021, 04:47:31 AM »
Your trooper looks fantastic! The 3D print trials and tribulations are frustrating, I’m sure. But once you resolve them it looks like you’ll be able to outfit an entire army in no time.

Not being familiar with the six inch line, would it be possible to fill the hollow helmets with putty once you had a usable print?
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #809 on: June 30, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
Sounds like some good advice to me.

Off to share this to the front pages.