Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135592 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: spudafett: p50- New Mando and Range Snowtrooper
« Reply #750 on: July 09, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »
I really like the variety you have added  to the ranks of cold weather troops. Great job on the new Range trooper. I also love the High Altitude Mando. Great concept and I totally agree with you that he looks cool.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #751 on: July 12, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »
AT-AT drivers do have a weapon though(?), just no holster like the modern TIE pilot releases. The vintage figure came with a rifle that he could sling over his shoulder and every release since then has come packed with an E-11. I guess the lack of holster could be attributed to the fact that these guys are operating a massive armored tank that most presume to have few vulnerabilities. In the rare event that it ever went down, I'd just assume they'd snatch a weapon from one of the racks. No doubt a holster would be nice to have at events to keep those hands free.

Anyway, I like your Scarlett Mando and AT-AT driver mashup. I was also thinking that that body looked like a prime base for a mando custom. The DC-17 barrel as wrist rocket is my favorite touch. Also loving the fur on that AT-AT driver. I've been eyeing an AT-AT driver and Range Trooper for a similar conversion, just wish the parts were more compatible for 3.75". Some sawing will be required.

I like your thinking about the weapon options for the driver.  I imagine there's a rack of blasters stowed somewhere for them to grab if needed. 

Good catch with the wrist rocket part on Scarlet (or did I point that out in my post? haha).  I was considering hacking up a jango or boba and drilling out the gauntlets so that they'd fit over the smaller arms of the female figures, but I think that the gautlets would have looked comically large if I'd done that.

I'm planning on getting some silicone mold supplies and making some molds of the variety of helmets and mando parts now available in the 6in line so that I have more options for future customs.

You're right about the lack of parts for the 3.75" line.  You might try using one of the solo mimbar figures.  They have the same torso armor as the snow-troopers and range-troopers.  I just can't bring myself to buy any new 3.75" figures due to their abysmal lack of articulation.

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #752 on: July 16, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
Lovely work here.  In particular, those female mandos look amazing!  Great, great stuff!

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #753 on: July 17, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »

Good catch with the wrist rocket part on Scarlet (or did I point that out in my post? haha).  I was considering hacking up a jango or boba and drilling out the gauntlets so that they'd fit over the smaller arms of the female figures, but I think that the gautlets would have looked comically large if I'd done that.

You're right about the lack of parts for the 3.75" line.  You might try using one of the solo mimbar figures.  They have the same torso armor as the snow-troopers and range-troopers.  I just can't bring myself to buy any new 3.75" figures due to their abysmal lack of articulation.

Scarlett's wrist rocket stuck out to me because I also chopped up the barrel of that weapon to make something else earlier this year. The D H-17 (when you type it out properly, you get a Darth Nihilus dancing emoji lol) is a versatile weapon for customs! And you're right about the articulation for 3.75". I've been buying other brands to replace the ankle pegs with rocker joints, and the Hasbro SW hip peg that no other 1/18 scale line that I know of uses is a bit maddening.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #754 on: July 23, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
Awesome to see you back at making customs! Amazing work an welcome back!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #755 on: July 27, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
Super Heavy Infantry Mandalorian

Using the heavy infantry mando as a base I added a few bits and pieces to his armor and swapped the head with a modified Jango helmet cast.  The boots are pieces from the Solo range trooper (I figured they made sense as a mechanism to balance him while using the BFG).  I added an Iron man rocket launcher to the jetpack, it looks like a perfect fit to me tbh.

The gun is an old missile launcher from the 25th gi-joe line with the gun barrels from some random fodder bin piece. 

Bigger is always better....

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
Re: spudafett: p51: SUPER Heavy mando
« Reply #756 on: July 27, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »
Outstanding mando!  looks terrific!  Well done!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #757 on: July 28, 2020, 05:38:30 AM »
Wow, that just looks tough. Great job.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
That Mando turned out great and the boots were a brilliant idea!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #759 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »
Nice job! I've got those same legs sitting in front of me for a possible project right now.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett: The Mandalorian (spoilers!)
« Reply #760 on: November 04, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
A few projects I'm working on.  Finally got ahold of the walmart exclusive Ahsoka.  One of the ideas I had for her was to create a custom helmet for her and a full blown set of armor as a "what if" experiment.  What if Ahsoka embraced the Mandalorian way of life?

A resin cast of Jango Fett's removable helmet shoved over her head while it was still pliable was my first experiment... not sure that I like it.  I'll be trying a few different things from here.

Next on the workbench is Cobb Vanth "The Marshal" from episode 9 of The Mandalorian.  Since I don't have a good headsculpt to use there won't be a removable helmet version and this will ultimately be a figure of him in Boba's armor.  However, I am planning on making the armor all removable.  I've already done this with the gauntlets (which will of course be repainted) by drilling them out and making them so that they will slide over the forearms.  The Han Solor torso is significantly "lanky" enough that I think this one will turn out nicely.

And the first finished project I've done from The Mandalorian is the O.G. Mando himself:

I know we don't know for sure if it's him... but I have a strong feeling it is. 

While I was originally going to do a simple head swap, with a sanded down Jango head, I decided to go deeper into this figure than that...  One thing I thought was interesting is that the "spurs" jingle is still being used for Fett as he walks.  So, I figure he is probably still using his old boots.  Vanth also only had the left knee guard so I gave Fett his right knee guard.  I was going to also work in his cod piece (a part also absent on Vanth) but I couldn't get the hips of the Fett figure to work well with the Tusken Raider body. 

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
Re: spudafett: p51: The Mandalorian (spoilers!)
« Reply #761 on: November 04, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
Boba in that tusken getup is phenomenal!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: spudafett: p51: The Mandalorian (spoilers!)
« Reply #762 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
Cobb Vanth, "The Marshal."  6" black series scale.

This one took some work, and while it's not 100% screen accurate (and I may have over-done the weathering), I'm happy with how it turned out. 

Legs and arms are from a Poe Dameron figure.  Torso and neck is Han Solo.  The scrawny thin torso and long neck worked perfectly for this figure. 

The armor is all taken from a black series Boba Fett.  I popped the torso of Fett and used my dremel to completely hollow out the cavity.  It fit nearly perfectly around the Han Solo torso.  I used strips of cardstock and super glue to attach the two halves around the collar armor, and attach the shoulder pads to the armor itself.

The gauntlets were more tricky.  I used progressively larger drill bits to drill through the wrist gauntlets and hollow them out.  The left gauntlet, being bigger, was easier to do.  The right gauntlet is smaller and I actually had to boil the entire piece and stretch it to get it to slide over the forearm...  I then sculpted the flame thrower cover on the left gauntlet and re-painted to rotj colors.

Doing it this way, the entire set of armor is removable!  I just wish I had a suitable head sculpt to use for him.  I have access to a resin 3d printer, so maybe someone has a file I can use?? 

As a die hard Boba fanatic from the first time I saw ESB this episode re-invigorated my passion for star wars... it was a fantastic episode.  I also loved seeing Fett's armor again, albeit beat to hell and back.  The attention to detail was phenomenal and I loved that the armor fit so awkwardly and loosely on Vanth.  From the missing knee pad and cod-piece to the welded piece of metal covering the damaged pack, the whole ensemble was perfect.  I also LOVE all the great throwbacks to classic western tropes in the episode. 

Enough talk, here's pics:   

As always, you can see wip pictures and catch my stuff before it get's posted here by following my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/spudafettcustoms/
I also noticed that since I'm linking to the image files on facebook a lot of my old embedded images I've posted in this thread have stopped working.  You can always check out my older work on my facebook page!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:23:47 PM by spudafett »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: spudafett: p51: Cobb Vanth (mando spoilers!)
« Reply #763 on: November 05, 2020, 03:34:40 AM »
Wow, awesome custom. Looks fantastic to me. Great description and recipe.

Off to the front pages.

Offline CloneTroopr

• Commander
    • CloneTroopr's Customs FaceBook Page
Re: spudafett: p51: Cobb Vanth (mando spoilers!)
« Reply #764 on: November 05, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
This is awesome!

Customs Thread: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7528.0
FaceBook Page: CloneTroopr's Customs