Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135617 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spuda's customs (boba fett)
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
I got my hands on a 6" boba fett.  And although I really like it... and I struggled with wheather or not I should customize it... I decided to do some tweaking to the figure, and wound up deciding to go ahead and do some re-painting too.

So here is the stock figure as we see boba fett in ESB:

I've always liked the ROTJ version of boba's armor better.  I like the more weathered and battle hardened look to it, and the cobbled together feeling that the miss-matched paint scheme offered.  So I decided to try my best to transform this boba fett into the ROTJ version.

First, I needed to correct the blaster.  If you didn't know, the blaster seen in ESB and ROTJ that fett carries are slightly different...
So, stock blaster:

after removing the scope, modifying the barrel by extending it with fodder parts, I used sculpy to do my best at sculpting the front end of the blaster's ridges...  This isn't perfect and I hope once the sculpy hardens I'll be able to fix a few issues with it.  painting it will help too of course.

I also moved the scope back slightly to place it where it should be for the ROTJ blaster.

next I fixed the range finder.  I used a piece of packaging plastic for a new stem and after careful manipulation with an exacto knife and a tiny drill bit I inserted a pin in the "ear" to make it rotate.

next I decided to go ahead and re-paint the gauntlets to the ROTJ color scheme.  I mixed up the red myself and I think it matches up fairly well with the red on the helmet of the stock figure.  I also weathered the edges with a little silver to match the weathering style of the stock figure. 

That's all I've gotten so far.  Next on the list is to:
re-paint the jet-pack...  possibly modify the rocket to make it removable.
remove the sculpted toe spikes and replace them with metal pins
Remove and re-sculpt the belt to add the extra ammo pouches
also trim off and re-position the hip pouches more to the sides of the figure instead of in the front.
Create replacement belt pieces for parts I'll have to remove
remove the stock cape, and cut/place an olive green ROTJ style cape weathered, tattered, and torn

and finally slightly weather the entire figure so that he looks more like he should having been in the deserts of tattooine!

so what do you guys think so far?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spuda's customs (6" boba fett)
« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Spud, this figure was made for you to get your hands dirty with. I can tell that already.

Wish I could find one or two.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2014, 03:32:54 AM »
I sure do like the look so far. Back on the front page.

Like your list of what else you are going to do too.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #468 on: February 21, 2014, 04:07:36 AM »
Awesome work so far Spud and I have no doubt that the rest will be just as awesome.

Ron

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #469 on: February 21, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »

Have you tried the Disney Store?
JTA report about them having TBS 3.75 and 6 inch wave 2 panned out.  I got my Darth P there yesterday and they had 2 6 inch Boba Fetts.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #470 on: February 21, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »

Have you tried the Disney Store?
JTA report about them having TBS 3.75 and 6 inch wave 2 panned out.  I got my Darth P there yesterday and they had 2 6 inch Boba Fetts.

How much are they at the disney stores? Theres not one one anywhere close to me.... the only way I've been able to get one has been working out trade deals from people who can get them then ship them to me!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #471 on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
Well done so far Spuda! I really like what you've done with the range finder. Gauntlets look great too.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #472 on: February 22, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »
got some work done on boba today:

painted and finished up the rifle:

I found a few guns and other greeblies to make lightsaber hilts out of.  what do you guys think?  Look like a lightsaber?

I also got a lot of work done on his belt.  I really wrestled with whether or not to actually do this part of the project.  If I messed up there was no turning back... 
one big issue I wound up having was that I couldn't slip off the belt without splitting the torso and risk breaking the figure... so I trimmed the belt parts off with it still on the figure, I had to be careful then not to cut into the figure!
here's the belt trimmed of the pouches, the holster, and the red belts.  I also used sculpy to fill in the gap in the ammo pouches belt and make two more pouches:

To re-build his other belts and the hip pouches I carefully cut them off and trimmed them slightly and glued them onto a set of stretch cord belts which I painted red with the gauntlet's color mix.

here it is on the figure, notice the placement of the pouches is now to the sides instead of the front.  An added bonus is that now they do not hinder the leg movement like before.

This new belt is also removable, and uses metal clasps in the back:

Finally, tonight I worked on re-painting the jetpack.  I tried to match all the colors the best I could and paint them as evenly and strait as I could...  Unfortunately my painting skills are not that of "clonehead" or any of the other master painters here... I have a hard time painting these tiny details as my hands shake and don't have the dexterity for the tiny motions that I used to have.
Still, I think it turned out ok:
before weathering:

after the fine details (some sloppy lines) and weathering (which helps hide some of those sloppy lines!)

Offline rex smoke

• A Droid's Worst Nightmare
  • Commander
« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2014, 05:46:55 AM »
WOW. I think I may have to try this

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2014, 05:54:08 AM »
Wow, I think you are doing this great justice. Your belt fix looks way more movie accurate too. Off to share again.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
I think I've done pretty much all I am going to do to this figure now...

I ripped out the old cape, by gently (but forcibly) pulling on it and basically just tearing the fabric out. 

again, I probably could have cracked open the torso and removed it "correctly" but I didn't want to risk destroying the torso of the figure when all I wanted was to get rid of the cape... if pulling it out didn't work I was just going to cut it off anyway.

So I used it as a template to cut a new cape from an old pair of shorts I had in a drawer that just happened to be the perfect olive drab color...  I folded it acordingly and then used an iron to flatten it and hold it's creases.

To attach the new cape to the figure I used a tiny flatheat screwdriver to shove the end of the cape back into the hole where I pulled to old cape from.  Just the friction and ammount of stuffing I did in this step holds the new cape on pretty securely and I didn't have to use any glue... If I find another better material, or I want to swap out the cape for some other reason now it's not a permenant change!

here's the new cape before I weathered/tattered it.

after tattering it (hard to see in this image)

I also went back and touched up some areas that still needed paint.  Mainly the ammo pouches that I sculpted which were now hardened needed to be painted in leather to all match.  The hip pouches also needed painted.  In the ROTJ costume they aren't the same color as the suit and are actually a light tan.  I used testors acryl "sand" to paint them and also drybrushed the same color on the rest of the outfit.

something I decided to add/include in this version was his pistol and holster as well as a lightsaber hanging from his belt.  These are of course NOT seen in the movie costume, but are seen in various other portrayals of the character and I thought they were worthy aditions.

besides, boba can never have too many weapons! 

Which I added to his repetoir by finding this old POTF rifle (chewbacca's I think?) that fit well in the 6" boba's hands...

so finally, here you go:

one last comparison, before/after:

I promise I'll get out the real camera tomorrow and take him outside and get some better shots.  My S4 wasn't focusing very well with these shots so I'm sorry...  crappy phone camera...  Better pics to come! 

Offline poke_wars

• Cadet
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
i love it im trying to make my own but 3 3/4 scale

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #477 on: February 22, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
Good luck Poke_wars.  I tried to answer your questions (I guess about this project) in the custom questions forum.  If you want to convert an ESB boba into the ROTJ version with the 1:18th figures your best bet is really to just re-paint it.  Unless you want to do something similar to what I did with my "mythos" ispired 1:18th boba and use parts from other figures to give him better articulation!  Then your getting more complicated.  look back through my thread, or check out my face book page for step by step photos of some of my projects.  They might help you with yours! 

Offline poke_wars

• Cadet
« Reply #478 on: February 22, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
I will definitely go check that out  0/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2014, 07:00:15 AM »
Nice, time to get that on the front page.