Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135609 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Spuda's customs (dewback rider!)
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2013, 02:11:54 AM »
That is great work on that elbow joint. Are you going to try to figure something our for the wrist too? Heck at this point you may as well make the claws articulated too.

Devin, I don't think there is an articulation issue you can't fix. I sure wish Hasbro had your same mentality when it comes to things moving and standing and just overall playability. I have given you an official title on our front page. Thanks for sharing this with us and if you do any other fixes to this or turn it into a Mando Dino-Rider (Fett does look good on this) I would love to see new images.

I could easily see you turning this into a great custom line (Mando Dino Riders of some sort) for our current contest (just thinking out loud).  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:06:41 AM by Tamer »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Spuda's customs (elbow articulation!)
« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
The result is a working ball jointed elbow. 

Nice work!  I'm an articulation junkie too and I've seen some of your other projects.  I'm inspired.

Offline krash_override

• Lieutenant
  • Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
    • Instagram
« Reply #422 on: September 05, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
I love that knee joint hack, thanks for sharing!
.\,,/   Hack the Planet   \,,/.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:19 AM »
That is great work on that elbow joint. Are you going to try to figure something our for the wrist too? Heck at this point you may as well make the claws articulated too.

Devin, I don't think there is an articulation issue you can't fix. I sure wish Hasbro had your same mentality when it comes to things moving and standing and just overall playability. I have given you an official title on our front page. Thanks for sharing this with us and if you do any other fixes to this or turn it into a Mando Dino-Rider (Fett does look good on this) I would love to see new images.

I could easily see you turning this into a great custom line (Mando Dino Riders of some sort) for our current contest (just thinking out loud).  ;D

Thanks for the props as always tamer.  What I wound up doing with the wrist is cutting it strait and using a push pin to create a swivel wrist.  So it now can rotate around.  The claws are just too tiny to attempt anything.

I thought about making it a rider with a saddle but I think I like it simply as a dino... although I might make a removable saddle...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
I figured you might give that wrist a whirl.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #425 on: September 06, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »
I fixed the other arm today, and fixed some of the obvious paint issues with the new joints as well as the rest of the dino.  here's some step by step photos.  Hopefully they speak for themselves, but if you have a question then ask.

one of the worst paint issues was the spikes on it's tail didn't match the spikes on it's back:

and the lack of detail inside the mouth:

I also of course fixed the elbow's paint. But look at the eyes... they are both facing directly sideways.  They aught to be both facing forward... so I fixed that too.

fixed eyes:

I also painted over the JP symbol... I know it's a JP dinosaur and the symbol is cool... but I think it's more realistic not to have a branded dinosaur. lol

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2013, 04:36:02 AM »
In placing the drilled-out arm, did you just use a standard super glue or some other, more durable adhesive?

This has been a treat to follow this week!  I've seen this JP dinosaur at my TRUs but still haven't picked him up.  I don't know if I'd be showing off the skills that you have in articulating this puppy, but I can at least paint him up!  

Looking forward to seeing the "final" reveal...

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #427 on: September 07, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »
In placing the drilled-out arm, did you just use a standard super glue or some other, more durable adhesive?

This has been a treat to follow this week!  I've seen this JP dinosaur at my TRUs but still haven't picked him up.  I don't know if I'd be showing off the skills that you have in articulating this puppy, but I can at least paint him up!  

Looking forward to seeing the "final" reveal...

I just used standard super glue.  The rubbery plastics of the arm and the action figure leg are very similar and the super glue does an excellent job holding it together.  Just be careful not to get it into the joint itself!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #428 on: September 07, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
Wow Devin, really enjoying this. Bravo. Look for the fp update soon.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #429 on: September 07, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Awesome!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
Dillon, aka ghostskull18 or ghost customs commissioned a piece from me.  He unfortunately had someone else promise him the work, and after sending the figure never got it back.  So I figured, what the heck I've got plenty of WIPS that'll never get done! Send it to me! lol.

No, but seriously, the project was for a young darth maul as seen in a comic.  Darth Maul is ghostskull's favorite character so he wanted it done right (he was pretty particular with a few things, but hey, that's completely understandable. It's actually nice to have someone know exactly what they want!).  Through the wonders of modern technology I was able to send him in real time photos of the progress and get his feedback and make adjustments accordingly.  The best part, you get to see the progress too.  Here's how it went down:

first I got this image as a reference:

Pretty sad little kid...

Dillon was kind enough to provide the base figure, a young Ep1 phantom menace anakin from the movie scene 3 pack "tatooine showdown" 
I'll have to say... this is probably one of the worst figure's I've ever messed with.  It's articulation is expectedly horrible since it's from the Ep1 offerings... but the pose that it's in was just ridiculous.  It works for the movie scene, yeah ani was running away... but for a young maul I didn't think this was going to work...

but.  I started giving him a hair cut anyway:

I thought at this point that this might actually work... but those arms and legs have to go.  So I cracked open the torso and dug around my fodder box for some useless parts that I wouldn't be needing for any other project and came up with this:

Here's the parts run down: I completely reworked the figure. the only original parts are the torso, "skirt" part of the robes, and his head. The rest: arms from an animated jawa, highly modified waist from the same jawa (you can't see it here), "thighs" are actually the calves from a snowtrooper (the snowtrooper knees became maul's hips), the knees down are from a leigh boush.

The irony was that I kept posing him in that same stupid running "action pose" with his new articulation!  here he is with a skull cap of fresh sculpy to smoth out his shave...

and using a spare maul head I had laying around I sculpted tiny horns for young maul

Once I got those done I had to come up with some ears... since I didn't think I'd be able to sculpt the detail needed in the ears I wound up cutting the ears off of an animated anakin skywalker figure and gluing them onto this little maul-strosity.

Then the figure was finished, just needed to be painted:

base coat on the clothes:

and final paint color scheme added:

then finally some weathering (although I'll be repainting over the red spots on his shirt, the "tattered" look I was going for didn't come across well and I'll be fixing that).

so there you have it.  Super articulated young darth maul.  I know Dillon will love it, what do you guys think?

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
Thank you! so awesome!  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #432 on: September 17, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
Looks great to me too. Time to go share on our pages.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #433 on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
something that's been done I'm sure...and similar to a custom I have done already twice.  But I was bored and couldn't find anything else to work on that would actually turn out right.   As I was digging through my boxes I found this unused cad bane figure and Todo 360, so I decided to supe them up, rework bane's coat tails, and add a few points of articulation in both figures.

before (the one on the left is the customized one here.  The right one is the older figure, not customized here):

reworked coat tail to be a part of the coat:

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #434 on: September 22, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
great work Devin! especially on the dinosaur
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms