Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135590 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Spuda's customs (dewback rider!)
« Reply #405 on: July 24, 2013, 05:05:23 AM »
Wow, that chocolate chip camo (what we called it when I was over there in the first Gulf War) is spot on. How did yo paint that so well? The figure looks hot dipped! Expect to see this on the front page sometime this morning when I stop hitting the refresh button for Hasbro Toy Shop.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #406 on: July 25, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
Love the choc. chip cammo paint job on that B.A.T.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #407 on: July 25, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Wow, that chocolate chip camo (what we called it when I was over there in the first Gulf War) is spot on. How did yo paint that so well? The figure looks hot dipped! Expect to see this on the front page sometime this morning when I stop hitting the refresh button for Hasbro Toy Shop.

Thanks tamer, coming from someone who actually wore this pattern that means a lot!  The pattern was actually easy to re-create once I figured it out!  I started with a base coat of testors aryl "sand".  Then added small patches of "dark tan".  next to and slightly overlapping the dark tan markings I then added "burnt sienna" in similar pattern, size and shapes.  Once that was done I took the smallest tipped brush I had and added the black dots randomly...  the hardest part was going back with a clean brush the same size as the small one and add flatt white dots on top of, but slightly offset from the black ones.   I'm very happy with how it turned out.  I have to say it's probably the best camo pattern I've ever pulled off! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Well it sure does look spot on with what I remember wearing. Bravo Devin.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
Lots of interesting customs since I have checked in here! Loving the Dewback and rider's. The BAT in chocolate chip camo is really nice. Great paint work on him.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
So... I made this the other day, it's supposed to be a desert themed war machine...

problem is... the more I look at it the more I hate it.  What do you all think?  The cammo does a good job of blending the lines together, it's even difficult to discern the added guns and gun mounts, plus the added backpack and pouches on his back...  but it just doesn't look to me like something I'd see on war machine. 

Should I re-paint it with the chocolate chip pattern that I used on the recent desert BAT?  Or try something different?  Any suggestions? 

one idea I had was to repaint him solid "sand" again and then outline all the pannels with black.  then weather it with brown and dark tan...   

I really have no idea how to "fix" this one.  I love the concept, I just can't come up with a good color scheme... I've been through two with him already! 

This was the first one (I really didn't like it at all...):

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »
I think camo is one hard paint technique period and then you throw in different environments and I don't know how folks get to master it. I do like this version better than the first, but have to admit that chocolate chip on that BAT sure did look great. I will take this to our pages and see if we can get you some thoughts on this.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
I like the second scheme the best and to break up the basic colour have you thought about going a little darker, maybe a sand colour and using browns to break up the basic colour as per the pic below.

Ron

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #413 on: August 03, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »
I like the second scheme the best and to break up the basic colour have you thought about going a little darker, maybe a sand colour and using browns to break up the basic colour as per the pic below.

Ron

Thanks ron.  I was considering doing some weathering to the figure to kind of break up the pattern further, but just didn't know how it'd turn out.  I think I'll try that and maybe a completely different scheme on another figure (I have several spare war machines!) 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #414 on: August 03, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
Ron and Tamer,  I looked through all my war machine figures and found my stock jungle camo war machine (I don't remember which 3 pack this came in but I think it was a target exclusive)

I am going to re-do my desert camo war machine (I think with the chocolate chip camo since it came out so nice on the BAT) with a similar style to the stock jungle camo WM.  I also have a printable decal sheet somewhere that I think I might give a try (something i've never done but have wanted to try for a long time). 

But, I'm going to try this new scheme on an unused stock wm and keep the other desert camo version too.  I'm going to weather it and see if I can't make something work with that scheme (I put too much effort into painting it not to!)

Heres an interesting pic for yall too, all my stock and custom war machine variant figures together (so far):

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
I like the sound of your plan. I know I sure enjoyed your paint work on that B.A.T. I couldn't see why it wouldn't look good on an IM Custom.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
finished:

Desert war machine, with a shoulder mounted mini gun (per usual war machine style, only this one is a larger version based on a gi-joe mini gun) and a shoulder mounted anti-tank weapon, the lahi (a modified jungle viper rifle).

enjoy:

and I know this is a horribly blurry picture, but here it is next to the BAT. 

seeing it next to the bat I think this scheme looks much better on the BAT than on WM.  I like this a lot, but I'm still not 100% satisfied (I probably never will be).  I still think this camo scheme is one of my favorites! 

I wonder if I should have gone with copper instead of the silver for the "exposed" metal sections of WM?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
I saw some other folks posting images of their parts bins on FB earlier in the week and thought you guys might enjoy this...

weapons bin:

spare body parts:

spare complete figures:

spare "cool parts" and unfinished WIPs (cool parts are parts I don't want to loose in the other bins or I've used for casting).

iron man spare parts:

various WIPs and other spare parts:

clear tote has finished customs in it that arent on display or need to be bagged up for storage (placed in there when I cleaned off my work table and never did anything with them... lol), the cardboard box has female figures and female figure parts in it, and the green tote is full of MOC complete figures that I haven't opened yet...

That's just half of my "organizational boxes"... I have two large cardboard boxes full of vehicles and vehicle parts (a mix of both joe and star wars), a box full of Battle Android parts and various related stuff, I have an entire shelf over my work table devoted to misc. wips, and I have a tub and several shelves full of finished figures! lol....  the sad part of it all... even with this organizational system I still feel cluttered and unorganized!   I guess this is a problem of all customizers.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
Nice I saw that new DWM on Facebook last night and gave it two thumbs way up. I like this desert camo style best. Off to share.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #419 on: September 04, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »
So I picked up this guy at toys are us the other day... and although it was heftily priced I am stoked with it.

It's already well more articulated than any of the JP dinosaurs I had as a kid!  It really makes me yearn for those younger years when I had such a passion for paleontology, learning new dinosaurs, and playing with all the awesome dino toys I had...  but I degress.

This allosaurus is great. The sculpt, the paint apps, the thrashing head gimick, all is superbly done! Kudos hasbro, you did something right and to be honest, I don't mind spending 30 bucks on it (funny how that works)! 

So to top off a great dinosaur you also get a great action figure!  The pack in is a reimmagined gi-joe figure, using all preexisting gi-joe parts you wind up with this "mercenary" with a bow... it's a gimicky figure but the details they packed in actually really impressed me.  It uses joe parts so that's a huge plus already, but he even has a little dinosaur skull and crossed arrows tattoo!  how cool is that!  I might add some paint to his vest and some dry brushing but this guy will be a dino-hunter (I may even make a few spare parts figures to go with him!!!).

but back to the dino... here's some great shots of him out of the box:

with ani-fett riding it:

It's got an articulated jaw, ball jointed neck (just behind the head), swivel neck joint at the base of the neck (side to side thrashing motion activated by moving the right arm up and down), ball jointed shoulders, swivel waist and ball jointed ankles.  The thing is highly posable, but hard to get to stand up on it's own... it's very front heavy...  I think the best solution for the difficulty in balance will be to add some weight to the tail somehow. If the tail is hollow I might be able to fill it with lead beads or something...

I wasn't satisfied with the arms though.  I really wished they'd gone the extra mile and made the arms articulated at the wrist and elbows.  I want my dino to be able to grab his prey! 

So I bravely chopped into him...

I found some legs of an aura sing figure that I knew I would NEVER use and began chopping them up to use the knee joints...

The result is a working ball jointed elbow.  Looking at these I kind of wish I had looked for a set of black joints, which wouldn't be as obvious contrasting colors... but I plan on sculpting a little bit over the joint and blending it in with some paint apps anyways.

So that's where I've gotten to on this project...  I'll post more pictures whenever I get around to working on it some more.