Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135600 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Light up Snippy (page 11)
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
Devin, you and Remco are making me wonder what is the best all time figure to get in regards to it being able to be used for whatever line with superarticulation and cool accesories. Sounds like a good poll.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
I agree, Rebelscum is also very useful, since they're also referring to remolds and repaints of other figures.

Shawn, as far as leg articulation goes, Joes are the thing you're looking for. But not everyone is too keen on using them, since they look so.... well, Joe-ish :) I know recent SW figures have received ball jointed hips as well, but suffer from a severe case of diaperatus incredibilus (Lando, Bespin Luke). But if I'm not mistaken the VC45 Phase I Clone is the new SA Clone to have. I'm all for using Joe parts for SW customs. And when adding belts, kamas, robes, etc. you can often (partially) hide the signature look of the hip joints.

The double-jointed knees are great as well, perfect for all kinds of action poses.

I think Hasbro still focuses on looks for SW figures, but remains focused on articulation for Joes.

Marvel Universe figs are something in between, not a line of figures I use for specific parts, though.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
as far as pure articulation goes Micronaught style figures are the best... some of the new marvel figures are getting close to that too.

But micronaughts suffer from a horrible case of brittle plastic, making them difficult to work with... nevermind the fact that the joints are SUPER visible, making realistic looking human figures nearly impossible.

Joes, IMHO, are the best over-all base for articulation, detail, and versatility...

Like incom said, used in conjunction with pre-existing star wars accessories and parts you can hide alot of their signature looks.

Offline lostcauze501st

• Lieutenant
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
Your videos are awesome, great work with the LED as well.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
I started a thread in the resources and references section in regards to your fiugre points you two are making. Daggone fine thinking going on here btw.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
wow, this idea and of course the result is spectacular!!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
super articulated Jango Fett
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »
I was recently contacted by a forum member to commission a Super articulated Jango Fett in my normal style.

I wound up re-working my old super articulated jango, a figure I already had basically finished.

I remodeled the leg armor to make it fit more flush and seamlessly with the gi-joe leg style.  I used the apartment jango's removable shin and knee armor, cut it into seperate shin and knee pieces and then permanently glued them into place on the gi-joes legs.

I was sad to see this figure go... It was the only super articulated version of jango that I had made in my personal collection...  But I got to digging and found enough parts to re-build my own version of the figure with a couple minor changes.

here is a WIP photo of the figure:

In the WIP shot you can see again how I affixed the apartment jango's leg armor to the new GI-joe legs.  Unfortunately these gi-joe legs didn't have the pre-sculpted thigh armor like my previous version did so I had to cut out some styrene bits to glue onto the thighs.   

The lower torso I used on both of these figures is from a Resolute Cobra Comander.

While looking through my parts bin I didn't have another set of holsters and belt that had the leg straps built in.  I really like those for the super articulated figures as it keeps the holsters at his side, instead of waving around awkwardly.

I decided I'd try something different this time and make my own stretch cord straps for the holsters....   Unfortunately I had to drill holes through the holster to push the stretch cord through, rendering the holsters useless...  the guns just can't fit down in them anymore.  So what you see in the pictures is actually cheating.  I took two extra guns and chopped off the barrels, only a small portion fits into the holster, but it appears as though they are in there with just the handles sticking out!!!  :P

Also, that version of the belt did not have the cod piece sculpted on it like the other one did, so I had to cut another piece of styrene to make that!

I also use the hands from an ARF trooper to get a little bit more articulation in the wrists after cutting off jango's sculpted on hands...   I didn't know how well this technique would work and I didn't want to risk making a mistake on my commissioned piece... but since this one is staying on my display shelf I figured I'd take the risk.

I'm also planning on trying to articulate the neck using a swivel peg so that he can lean his head back farther for "flying" poses.... but that will be a HUGE risk... I'll mess with it later. 

For now, here are the pics of my newest version of the figure:

So.... long story short... I sell a figure, only to make myself another one...   and I wonder why I can't make any money at this hobby!?! lol  :P

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: SA Jango Fett (page 12)
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
Looks better to me. Update on the fp.

Offline JLaban4

• Commodore
  • The only good lizard, is a dead lizard.
    • Follow this link to see my customs and other videos
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Usually when I make holsters like that I used heat shrink cut to size then heat them up on the fig, paint and the glue the gun pockets too it. Works well imho. Looks great bro!!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2012, 01:10:13 AM »
Usually when I make holsters like that I used heat shrink cut to size then heat them up on the fig, paint and the glue the gun pockets too it. Works well imho. Looks great bro!!!

I've honestly never used heat shrink before.  I would be worried there isn't enough flex with that.  what I liked about using the stretch cord is that the holsters can still freely move and be re-positioned if need be.  But thanks for the tip, I might have to try that sometime.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
I agree with Tamer.  It does look better.  Great job!

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

I've honestly never used heat shrink before.  I would be worried there isn't enough flex with that.  what I liked about using the stretch cord is that the holsters can still freely move and be re-positioned if need be.  But thanks for the tip, I might have to try that sometime.

Depending on how hot you melt it, the elasticity is pretty good.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
SA Jango looks great Spud!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
Very nice job!!