Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135628 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: SA galactic marine tutorial vids (starts page 6)
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Holy cow... I would be afraid to mess up a pair of legs if I did that wrong.  Maybe I'd better bone up on my parts casting skills first so I'll have backups to work with.
Great video!
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
Wonderfully executed video, Devin! I do love watching you work with a hobby knife. its like the perfect balance of finesse and brute force.
I do think your tutorials are spot on and easy to follow. If I had some custom time these days, I would have to try this for myself.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Wonderfully executed video, Devin! I do love watching you work with a hobby knife. its like the perfect balance of finesse and brute force.
I do think your tutorials are spot on and easy to follow. If I had some custom time these days, I would have to try this for myself.

ROFL... that comment about my knife skills litterally made me laugh out loud.  Thanks for that! 

I like doing the tutorials.  It's fun to talk through the process, and even more fun to go back and watch the process as I'm editing the video.  I love seeing how much a figure changes through all the steps, sometimes I loose sight of where I came from and get to focused on the end result.

Tamer, I'd like to do a video or two on my action fleet customs, but I probably won't do any tutorials as I don't have the parts to make anything right now.   what I might do is just a short video to talk about the customs I've already done in the action fleet scale.

I will make a short tutorial on one of my "finess and brute strength" exacto techniques though that deals specifically with the action fleet and other vehicle customs.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
Sounds good Devin, if you pm or post the facebook video code (really only need the video number) I can embed it on the front page. I would love to see an overall video of some of your AF Customs.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
Here's the second to last video segment!

Putting together the modified belt and kama...  Clint, get ready for some more exacto finnesse!

embed code:
<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/966623062854" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/966623062854" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

and a direct link:
http://www.facebook.com/v/966623062854

and don't forget guys, those of you who have facebook can like my page and get to see these as soon as I upload them... I'm about a day behind posting them here.

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
another great tutorial.I have seen a tutorial from you before,where you did the leg process different.you used tooth picks or something to hold together the two peices at the knee insted of hollowing them out.did you do this another way for some reason?maybe the galactic marines lower legs are so wide,you could hollow them out the way you did this time around.either way works,and that's very cool of you to take the time to show everyone your methods to making the ultimate articulated customs.clonehead was right about your technique,LMAO.I love watching people work on thier hobby's,and I'm looking forward to seeing your painting process.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:48 PM »
another great tutorial.I have seen a tutorial from you before,where you did the leg process different.you used tooth picks or something to hold together the two peices at the knee insted of hollowing them out.did you do this another way for some reason?maybe the galactic marines lower legs are so wide,you could hollow them out the way you did this time around.either way works,and that's very cool of you to take the time to show everyone your methods to making the ultimate articulated customs.clonehead was right about your technique,LMAO.I love watching people work on thier hobby's,and I'm looking forward to seeing your painting process.

The tutorial your refering to is the one for the super articulated at-at drivers.  I used a plastic peg to join the two parts there because on the at-at driver the only parts from the star wars figure I wanted to transfer to the joe leg was the ankle high boots and feet of the star wars figure.

In contrast, the galactic marine figure has knee high boots with the knee pads on them.  I used the technique of hollowing out the gal. marine's legs to preserve the knee high boot look as well as the knee pad... but also because the marine's legs are thick enough that I could hollow them out like I did.

When I get around to doing the super articulated scout trooper tutorial you'll see that I use the same method as the at-at driver to connect the scout's ankles and feet to a joe's lower legs.

Offline dr0d26

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »
great tutorial.. we dont see to many of these on the forums..  :) Looking forward to the final video..

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2011, 01:09:19 AM »
well i like the way you did them this time around,seems like something i'd like to try.it's a little scary when you don't have much in the way of spare parts,so if i make the slightest mistake,well then the projects over,but,i did aqurie some joes to give this a try so i'm taking everything you've said with me during the process.i slice up figures all the time,but the joe leg transfer is a delicate procedure like you said.i'll take my time with it as i do most of my work.thanx for getting back to me on that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2011, 06:38:20 AM »
Cool deal. On the front page. I like the sound of more tutorials too.

It is giving me an idear.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2011, 12:09:02 AM »
Cool deal. On the front page. I like the sound of more tutorials too.

It is giving me an idear.

uh oh... tamer with idears...

and yeah, each figure is a unique process JediMindtrix.  Each character deserves a fresh look, and depending on the parts I have on hand, or the final look I am going for, the process will vary.  Sometimes a great deal... 

I hope I have time to do a few more tutorials...  I've hit an editing snag on the painting section of this marine tutorial... painting is just so boring... lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Not necessarilly star wars, but here are some shots of a custom figure i did for a contest on Deviant-art.  The contest was to create a portrait of "zee captain", the main character from the web comic "romantically apocalyptic", and since I felt like my medium is figures, I did a custom 1:18th scale version of two of the comic's characters:

My amazing sister made the trench coat from scratch!  It's awesome isn't it!?  She did an amazing job stitching it together with the sewing machine.

the head was custom sculpted by myself.  I couldn't ever find a hat that worked well enough for me so I just sculpted it!  and it turned out pretty nicely I think.

Here is a frame from the comic for a reference: 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Romantically Apocalyptic Custom Captain (page 8)
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
Looks cool to me. On the front page.

If you get a chance pm me a link to that web-comic, it looks like its worth checking out.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
here is the link to the comic tamer:

http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com/1

he is also on deviant-art under the handle "alexiuss"

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
No way that hat is a sculpting............. it turned out great! Love that trenchcoat. reminds me of when I was a kid and used to have my grandmother sew together sleeping bags for my Micronaut figures.